Hills - Should you back off as you get older ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reacher

I think theirs a differance between trying to ride up a hill and to quote the op, my heart was coming out of my chest, and riding at a max heart rate that's some way below your absolute limit of red lining and having to get off the bike simply because you can't go any further because your heart is at its limit, the parallel between squash and exercise is that it's a game where you very easily can go beyond normal high level heart rates to extreme ones is all. No ones implying that training at high heart rates is dangerous that's your take on it not mine what's dangerous is red lining the heart

S-Express

I don't think you get this at all. By redline I mean hitting mhr. By definition, it is not possible to exceed mhr.

toontra

Veteran
How many of those boasting of how hard they push themselves have a poorly controlled chronic disease of the respiratory system?

Haven't seen any "boasting" here - just people saying how they approach fitness as relates to hill-climbing.

I suppose I am "lucky" in that I don't have any chronic or overly-debilitating diseases (that I'm aware of), but I tell you something - the more I train the luckier I get.

reacher

I don't think you get this at all. By redline I mean hitting mhr. By definition, it is not possible to exceed mhr.
What he said was he had to stop and get off because his heart was coming through his chest, that implys to me that he has gone to the absolute limit of what he is capable of not max heart rate, its only my opinion that doing that is pointless, training at max heart rates is not, you really need to read what i'm saying before trying to pick it apart, for sure you can train at very high levels no ones saying you cant, trying to induce a heart attack is not training in my opinion

S-Express

reading your stuff is hard work, unfortunately, reacher. Either way, a maximal effort to failure usually equates to a maximum heart rate. It would help if you understood the terminology you use.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Am I really the only one who believes the first thing the op should do is get his asthma under control?

Personally I think that is the issue. Ive persuaded a few of mates to take up cycling - and they get better than me on much less time and miles - especially on the hills - and they are just cycling not following any training programs etc.

I don't have a great relationship with my GP - I fought and won a 3 year battle with my GP - when they told me my hip \ backside pain was down to arthritis and nothing could be done. I didn't make myself popular with self diagnosis and winning many battles to get scans - referrals etc. In the end I was right - got it sorted - and got back on my bike. All time I was off the bike I missed it greatly and thought if only I could tootle round at 12 mph for a couple of hours - but now I can - I want more ! -
Pretty sure the GP'S at surgery haven't forgot those battles - anyway I have an appointment with one of the better gps in around 3 weeks (thanks Theresa M) - so will get the ticker checked out - and push for more astma treatment..

Top Bottom