Hills - Should you back off as you get older ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reacher

And you got your medical degree where?

Ride London:
2014: 36 year old male, cardiac arrest
2015: 55 year old male, cardiac arrest
2016: 48 year old male, cardiac arrest
2017: 67 year old male, cardiac arrest

I'm not saying the risk is huge, and I don't know if any of these people would have survived the year out if they had not done the ride, or indeed if cycling gave them a longer life than they would have had, but you can't just say there is no risk of dying from exertion cycling.

I agree with most of the other posters. Do what you feel comfortable with. If you want to keep pushing it but feel concerned, then talk to you GP.

Disclaimer: I know cardiac arrest and heart attack aren't the same thing.

I agree your asking for trouble, when squash was popular in the 90s I played a lot and their was no end of people having heart attacks and that was a typical sport where people went to the limit on heart rates

Oldfentiger

Veteran
If you are mastering the hills around Pendle you are doing well. I live in Southport and do most of my cycling around S. W. Lancs and Merseyside which is a very flat area. My wife and I occasionally have a trip out to the Pendle / Bowland area and to say the hills there are challenging compared to here is an understatement.

I was speaking to an old schoolmate a couple of years ago, who now lives up that way and reckons that, as a result of cycling round there for many years, he can breeze up most hills, but isn't too quick sprinting in flat areas - maybe its a case of how your body trains itself in its usual environment?

Round here, you have to get out towards Parbold / Wigan before meeting anything resembling a real hill, and about a year ago, I started going that way deliberately to improve my "hill skill". I have noticed an improvement and I would say consistently challenging yourself without over-exerting yourself will bring improvement.

P.S. How did you lose the 20lbs, was it a deliberate thing, or a side effect of your cycling? I only ask because despite my cycling, I still carry quite a bit of excess weight.
100% agree with your theory that the body responds to the type of cycling you do.

I've had some help with the weight loss. Mrs OFT has been attending Slimming World since February and has lost 2st 10lbs.

Every evening she's in the kitchen with her Slimming World recipes, with me acting as sous chef.
I've been eating the same evening meals as her. The food is tasty so I couldn't see any point in preparing different meals for me.
I have porridge for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch. I indulge in the odd chocolate bar, sometimes cake so it doesn't feel like hardship. In fact I've never eaten so much and still lost weight! Actually just worked out that I've dropped 25lbs in 18 months.
I appear to have reached my "fighting weight" now, as I've hovered around 11st 2lbs for the last 6 weeks or so. I'm 5' 8" tall.

reacher

First off its a completely pointless thing to do, the upshot is your red lining at an age that's dangerous to do so, any half wit would realise that, theirs no benifet to it as regards training as its a one off and it's not going to make you any faster or fitter. With modern gears and bikes and with proper training you don't need to put yourself in that position climbing anyway. Far better to get off recover and go some more, no prizes awarded for dead heroes.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
O/P here.
I am a pretty bad asthmatic - my peak flow measures 300 - 350 - I don't have asthma attacks as such - but my chest really tightens on the hills and I start wheezing. GP pretty disinterested TBH.
The thing about unclipping because you are going so slow is a real problem for me - although that fears gets me over some stonking hills - I just can't get off !

This is the hill that beat ME
https://www.strava.com/segments/14249994

but I know I can get up this one
https://www.strava.com/segments/5498746

These are seriously steep sections - the charts there don't do them justice TBH.

reacher

The point is, their is no point to doing this, unless your training for something specific then modern gears allow you to train very efficiently at all ages on all types of hills, training should benifet you not push you to the brink of a heart attack or worse.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
The point is, their is no point to doing this, unless your training for something specific then modern gears allow you to train very efficiently at all ages on all types of hills, training should benifet you not push you to the brink of a heart attack or worse.

I want to be able to get up that hill - I am not fast on hills but manage to get over most things albeit slowly.

reacher

Then carry on pushing yourself to the limit, I don't see why your aking the question if you have already decided that no matter the risk your going to keep on red lining, how steep is it anyway ?

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Then carry on pushing yourself to the limit, I don't see why your aking the question if you have already decided that no matter the risk your going to keep on red lining, how steep is it anyway ?

Just getting peoples thoughts. If its winding u up choose another thread - no disrespect intended.

I don't know the risk - hence Im asking - hence the variety of replies

Its listed at 10% - but for quite long sections its 17-18% - As I say I think part of the problem was the narrow road - if a car came either way - Id be off - I wouldn't have time to unclip.
I run a 25 rear sprocket - but have ordered a 28 - see how that goes. Another question I can't see how to train for such a hill without riding such a hill ! - most of my rides include 2500ft of elevation - but does doing lesser hills prepare (to any great extent) for steeper hills

Oldfentiger

Veteran
My two modern bikes have 30 and 32 tooth rear sprockets, and I think you should consider these also, if only for the steep bits.
I can tackle most stuff around here on the 28 tooth sprocket, but resort to the easier ones where necessary.

I am a pretty bad asthmatic - my peak flow measures 300 - 350 - I don't have asthma attacks as such - but my chest really tightens on the hills and I start wheezing. GP pretty disinterested TBH.
This isn't good enough. Asthma can usually be controlled. If you GP is really disinterested, try calling Asthma UK 0300 222 5800 and see what they can suggest.

(I had undiagnosed asthma as a child, and I thought I was just terribly unfit. It would totally prevent you getting up hills, the way it prevented me from running all the way around the oval)

And you might want to fill out this survey if the link works, so your poor level of treatment can at least be noted.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
This isn't good enough. Asthma can usually be controlled. If you GP is really disinterested, try calling Asthma UK 0300 222 5800 and see what they can suggest.

(I had undiagnosed asthma as a child, and I thought I was just terribly unfit. It would totally prevent you getting up hills, the way it prevented me from running all the way around the oval)

And you might want to fill out this survey if the link works, so your poor level of treatment can at least be noted.

What my GP implies is that its peak flow technique as I wouldn't be doing what I do with an actual PF of 300 !

Top Bottom