Hip Replacement - Any Experiences?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Less than 4 weeks later I'm back on the bike, just over 10 miles to see how my legs are.
That's encouraging news, hope the progress continues apace? As of this morning I am finally listed for a THR later in the year, age and arthritis in the hip making arthroscopy to repair the labral tear unlikely to be completely successful. Meanwhile a steroid injection to help me keep turning the pedals :okay:

9 weeks in, I have been cautious, just rides up to a max of 20 miles. Finally went out with the gang again last night for 32 miles and 2600ft. What they all noticed was how my leg didn't kick out to the side any more.
Its all very encouraging, it feels good on the bike, no pain in my right hand side and its manageable on the left.
The left hip is being done next week, so in 10/11 weeks time I should be able to ramp it up a bit to get the stamina back.

youngoldbloke

Momentous developments on the political scene, and for me too ...... No steroid injection as planned, as I was transferred at to a private hosp for the op - which to my surprise (and to cut along story short) was brought forward to last Friday! All on the NHS, and all went really well, except fo a rather woozy (low blood pressure) day after the op, best forgotten about. Home now, walking around with one stick. Weight bearing ceramic and poly hip, un-cemented. Following instructions to the letter. Not much pain - mostly from the wound site, and majority of the time just paracetemol for pain relief. As part of my recovery plan I sit and watch the TDF every afternoon, too .....

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Momentous developments on the political scene, and for me too ...... No steroid injection as planned, as I was transferred at to a private hosp for the op - which to my surprise (and to cut along story short) was brought forward to last Friday! All on the NHS, and all went really well, except fo a rather woozy (low blood pressure) day after the op, best forgotten about. Home now, walking around with one stick. Weight bearing ceramic and poly hip, un-cemented. Following instructions to the letter. Not much pain - mostly from the wound site, and majority of the time just paracetemol for pain relief. As part of my recovery plan I sit and watch the TDF every afternoon, too .....

I had low blood pressure after my hip replacement and also leaked a bit on the table, leading to me passing out the next day and needing a blood transfusion.

To be fair to the NHS consultant, he delayed starting the op until he got confirmation from the transfusion service they had my blood group in stock and within motorbike distance.

From my rehab experience, you are doing well to be on one stick after a few days, I was on crutches for a few weeks.

Like you, I had very little pain, just a bit from the wound.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
A work colleague (he's about 60, I think) had a hip replacement done only a month or so ago, and was walking normally within a week, no crutches in sight. He does occasional recreational cycling, and tells me he'll be doing that again shortly.

youngoldbloke

Keeping yourself as fit as you can, and a good weight undoubtably helps both you and the surgeon, and the stronger the muscles are that support the hip/s the better. My surgeon recommended that I get back on an exercise bike/turbo after 4-6 weeks. But he also pointed out that rehab is not going to be continuous straight line improvement, and I should be prepared for good and bad days. So far so good :thumbsup:

What I have learn't in the last 18 weeks after having both hips replaced:

Take the painkillers, as much as required to do the Physio, you are not a hero for not taking them, you need them for the physio.

Do the Physio (take the meds), every day.

Rest, among sitting/lying around, I did a straight 2 hours on my back every afternoon trying to keep the hip joint as straight as possible for as long as possible. At the beginning this was less than a minute, but increased to the full 2 hours after 8 weeks.

Don't overdo it, listen to your body, if its painful don't do it, it will come back to you with time and healing.

If you are having second one done in the future, keep a log each week of your progress, its very good to measure progress the 2nd time against the 1st.

Ignore all the BS about people having very little pain after the Op, especially those who had it done a few years ago, they've just blanked that part out. You won't be walking normally or without pain after a week!

If like me you managed to keep the muscle tone and fitness levels up before the Op, then you may find yourself back on the bike after 4 weeks for some gentle riding.

youngoldbloke

I'm doing as I'm told - following the physio's regime to the letter. I'm not brave - I'll take all the pain relief I'm offered, but the side effects of some of the medications have to balanced against the positive effects. I can't take NSAIDs, and some of the opiates make me very nauseous. I do have codeine to take if required however. One day at a time .....

Cubist

Still wavin'
All sounds very positive! The lesion preventing my THR has not resolved, or shrunk enough to give any hope that it will go away on its own. The pain meds are now causing so e unpleasant side effects, so I'm a bit stuck right now. Work have submitted a request for me to take early retirement, and I'll ha e an answer on Friday, ;. Now the weather's better I tend to be able to do a bit more, but still have to watch everything very carefully, or else I spent d the next day paying for any excesses!

What made me laugh after having mine replaced a couple of years ago is that absolutely everyone has a hip replacement story in their family.

"My Auntie Mabel had her hip replaced last year, and you'd never believe it but she ran the London Marathon 6 months later."

"Grandad Joe had both hips replaced last month and is currently doing the 3 Peaks with only a couple of Saloman walking poles. He can also play the piano, although he couldn't before the operation."

:laugh::laugh::rolleyes:

Take them with a pinch of Salt. It's a fairly major Op and must be taken seriously. Make sure you do all of your physio religiously. This is vital.

A year after the Op I took up cycling and did 6500 miles in the first 12 months. It'll be over 7k this year. I found cycling to be fantastic as part of the long-term recovery and don't even think about having an artificial hip any more.

Graham

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
All sounds very positive! !

A hip replacement seems to have one of the highest success rates of all the elective surgeries.

Infection of the wound can be a problem, and one that can take months or years to sort.

I reckon following the rehab instructions is vital.

Another couple of problem stories I heard related to hip replacement patients who had partners who waited on them hand and foot when they came out of hospital.

Well-meaning, but counter productive.

I live on my own, which meant if I wanted a cup of tea, sandwich, to get dressed/changed, have a wash, etc, I had to do it on my own.

In hindsight, that was very good for my rehab.

albion

Guru
Anyone like me heading towards a hip replacement, I half suggest exercising daily.
I am now in pain constantly, possibly made worse through not cycling regular.

I will try and report back in 4 works, hopefully after 28 days of regular cycling. I am now sensing, I have not had enough load bearing work.

youngoldbloke

Almost 6 weeks now, no sticks needed around the house, stairs etc., walking up to 3+ miles (1 stick) plus exercises prescribed. Paracetemol if needed during the day, and just 1 codeine at night. Couple of setbacks - mainly because I was getting on so well I forgot that I'd had a THR and pushed movment too far. Very painful, and I think it set me back almost a week. Wound completely healed and scar fading rapidly. Be a great relief to be rid of the DVT stockings too. I don't think I'll be cycling on the road for a few weeks yet but I'm setting up the Turbo now. I'll start driving again in a day or too. TBC

Almost 6 weeks now, no sticks needed around the house, stairs etc., walking up to 3+ miles (1 stick) plus exercises prescribed. Paracetemol if needed during the day, and just 1 codeine at night. Couple of setbacks - mainly because I was getting on so well I forgot that I'd had a THR and pushed movment too far. Very painful, and I think it set me back almost a week. Wound completely healed and scar fading rapidly. Be a great relief to be rid of the DVT stockings too. I don't think I'll be cycling on the road for a few weeks yet but I'm setting up the Turbo now. I'll start driving again in a day or too. TBC
The stockings went after one week, awful things. Was back on the bike at week 4 both times, but I was cycling up till the times of the ops, so I think that helped. 22 weeks on and I'm back to work on reduced hours, but feel fit enough to carry on where I left off earlier in the year, the cycling is progressing well, although the hip flexor muscles take quite some rehab after being sliced right through.

Top Bottom