Hip Replacement - Any Experiences?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hippygirl

I had both hips replaced last year, plus a tendon release on the right hip a few months after surgery. Sounds like you all are doing very well! I would like to agree that no matter what the docs say, you will not be pain free after a week. Post-op pain is very real and normal. Rehab is essential and must be done, even though it hurts. It is all worth it, in my mind. I am currently working my way up to riding a 65 mile charity ride in four weeks, which will be my longest ride since I started cycling four years ago.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
8 weeks now. Reckon the minor setbacks (see post above) have delayed recovery by maybe 2 - 3 weeks Still can't tie my shoelace on the operated side, or put that sock on without the help of a sock aid-frame (recommended). No longer need toilet seat raiser, and using normal height chairs again. Driving no problem. Still sleeping on my back, Op area still a little stiff and sore in the morning, especially if I try lying on my side. However generally less medication required, occasional codeine and paracetemol at night. Be great to be off painkillers of one sort or another after years of regular use. A few miles done on the Turbo now, once I'd worked out how to 'get my leg over' - pretty much pain free, but annoyingly tiring. Walking 3 - 4 miles a day, still needing a stick after half a mile or so, but generally notice daily improvement. Life slowly getting back to normal. Back on 'proper' bike soon?

youngoldbloke

Just over the magic 12 weeks and signed off by my consultant yesterday. X rays of the new hip show it to be just as it should be. Shown new exercises and massage to resolve the residual aches and pains resulting from the setbacks reported above, which probably disturbed the new scar tissue, and may also arrange some follow up physio sessions if required. Mostly back to normal - now able to tie up shoelaces, put on socks; I even cut my own toenails yesterday! Daily walks continue and now riding a road bike again (though with a rather ungainly steerer extender to raise the bars) - 90 miles total over the last couple of weeks*. Cycling on the road and on the turbo has definitely helped me regain mobility, and eases the remaining pain and stiffness. Nights still difficult however, and lying on my side still hurts. Still need to take paracetamol, and occasionally codeine. Consultant told me it could be 12 months before full strength is regained, so still early days, but already feels much better on hills, not that I've attempted anything challenging as yet. :thumbsup:

* not added to ticker yet

rich p

ridiculous old lush
https://goo.gl/images/JtzQHg

Just to add something about my personal hip replacement recovery.
After some 5 years I was getting pain in the groin/hip area which I assumed that it was a problem with the new titanium and ceramic joint. It got to the point where walking upstairs was difficult.
It's taken some years to get to the bottom of the issue, partly because of mis-diagnosis and partly due to me being reluctant to chase up what may have meant having another operation.
I saw a consultant yesterday who said the THR is perfect and has diagnosed a shortened psoas muscle/tendon which he reckons he can cure with steroid injections or a relatively minor operation to lengthen it.
I can't bloody wait!

Last edited:

Brads

Spoke to the surgeon today about my hips.

Bit of a shock as I was expecting advise on my hip pain, but ended up being told I`ll need 2 hips replaced within 5 years if I continue wearing them out as I am (cyling)

Gutted, I`m only 50. I managed a 50k run at 30kph yesterday and felt ok and am using a Diclofenac before I cycle. Up to 100km is usually fine.

They are pretty much a bit sore all the time, but he reckons their may be a pain from the muscle as well, so I`m getting an MRI and maybe treated with steroids.

Can`t imagine having to have 2 hips replaced, and dread the effect on my life and my cycling.

Bit of a shock as I was expecting advise on my hip pain, but ended up being told I`ll need 2 hips replaced within 5 years if I continue wearing them out as I am (cyling)

Gutted, I`m only 50. I managed a 50k run at 30kph yesterday and felt ok and am using a Diclofenac before I cycle. Up to 100km is usually fine.

They are pretty much a bit sore all the time, but he reckons their may be a pain from the muscle as well, so I`m getting an MRI and maybe treated with steroids.

Can`t imagine having to have 2 hips replaced, and dread the effect on my life and my cycling.

Well, if it helps I’ve cycled over 22,000 miles in three years following a hip replacement with no ill effects at all.

Brads

Hill climbing, running, riding motorcycles all winter and sleeping (drunk) in a field for 3 days at a time during the biker rally season for 20 yrs hasn`t helped.

All I admited to was the cycling though lol

youngoldbloke

Update - 2 years on, almost to the day. The hip has settled down, and my range of movement and flexibility are as good as they ever were. The effects of the early setbacks - too much too soon - are fading, though I still have some pain at night from Trochanteric bursitis. Meanwhile I've been diagnosed with peripheral vascular disease, affecting the arteries in both legs, walking any distance becomes painful and my cycling has suffered - only just over 500 miles this year at the time of writing. I'm trying to put off potentially risky surgery by attending an intermittent claudication exercise programme. Other bits of me appear to be reaching the end of their useful life too - both shoulders have rotator cuff problems, and I recently completely tore one of my biceps tendons. I could spend all day everyday on the exercise regimes various physios have prescribed .......... whatever, the actual replacement hip is performing perfectly anyway :smile:

Had both done 2 years ago, 12 weeks apart, am now cycling as much as I like, as well as playing squash again

Had both done 2 years ago, 12 weeks apart, am now cycling as much as I like, as well as playing squash again

That’s interesting.

I was a very keen Squash player before the Op and, along with football and the breaststroke swimming leg kick, it was one of the few activities that the consultant specifically told me to avoid afterwards.

How often do you play and do you suffer any adverse effects at all?

That’s interesting.

I was a very keen Squash player before the Op and, along with football and the breaststroke swimming leg kick, it was one of the few activities that the consultant specifically told me to avoid afterwards.

How often do you play and do you suffer any adverse effects at all?
I play twice a week with no after effects. Its taken a while to get back up to speed, so I started with racketball first and then moved back to squash after about 4 months

Top Bottom