Hips rocking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza81

Über Member
Ive read that its a bad thing, I'm not sure if this is my hips rocking or back movement somewhere

I have had a bike fit but the seat was a lot higher than it is currently I lowered it as it felt too high and I got an injury to the back of my knee last summer.

I tried various height and my back does exactly the same movement no matter how low or high I go

I've not noticed any aches or pains from it so is it a bad thing?

View: https://youtu.be/t41YTEH-Kcc

The saddle still looks high. Do you have cycling shoes ? try it again with shoes on and with a side view.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
No I cycle with flat pedals, I don't think it's too high if anything it's on the low side.
I did try going lower and it still happened I tried going higher and it still happens to

CXRAndy

Guru
From the knee flex, saddle looks just about right.

Comment

I didn't know you were riding flats,

To help with your pedalling technique, learning to spin(winter goal) clip in pedals will be better:okay:

OldShep

Über Member
its not a pretty sight but doesn’t necessarily mean your saddle is the wrong height. I always think you must be more prone to saddle sores/ rubbing when rocking like that.
You could well benefit from some Pilates or Yoga and get those hip joints working correctly.

edit : to add I’ve just seen Baldy's post and your leg should definitely not be straight at bottom of stroke.

Last edited:
As i understand it, there should be a slight bend at the knee when the pedal's at the bottom.

I have read that, as a rule of thumb, to set the saddle at the right height your leg should be straight when the heel is on the pedal.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Cant fathom why you’d have a bike fit and then change what they set you up with. Seems a waste of cash. You need to work on core strength and hip flexibility to deliver optimum power to the pedal stroke, and everything has to be nicely lined up if you reckon maybe 5000 revs of the hip per hour, to avoid joint damage long term. Stronger abductor muscles on the outside of your hips and knees will help, as will improved core work. Yoga, swimming, weights and plenty of miles.
You shouldn’t bottom out with a stiff leg. That’s just nonsense.
Only my opinion.:okay:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Cant fathom why you’d have a bike fit and then change what they set you up with. Seems a waste of cash. You need to work on core strength and hip flexibility to deliver optimum power to the pedal stroke, and everything has to be nicely lined up if you reckon maybe 5000 revs of the hip per hour, to avoid joint damage long term. Stronger abductor muscles on the outside of your hips and knees will help, as will improved core work. Yoga, swimming, weights and plenty of miles.
You shouldn’t bottom out with a stiff leg. That’s just nonsense.
Only my opinion.:okay:

I had the fit last year, got knee injury which put me out from may to November, not because it was really bad but just gave up really, disappointed as i was just starting to do some good miles.
posted up here with alot of comments saying fit looks all wrong.
So decided to go by feeling comfy rather than what some kid in evens set me up with, lowered my saddle and so far knee has been fine.
I do strength training and stretching, 2/3 times a week, thats not to say the right areas are flexible enough but im not super stiff, i did wonder if the rocking was a flexibility issue somewhere.

My seat height feels comfy and turns out is bang on the height of LeMond method which i stumbled on while looking at different methods, so seems like its in the right area

Last edited:
A rocking pelvis isn't so easy to spot, especially when wearing loose clothes. Have a helper stand behind you and use two pointing fingers to touch the left and right side of your pelvis at its widest point before disappearing into your waist. Now pedal. The helper's hands will now show whether your pelvis is actually rocking and by how much. It shouldn't rock, just jiggle a bit.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
i find heel on pedal gives me the same result as the lemond method but be aware lemonds calculation of .883 x inseam is based on 175 mm cranks so as i use 170s i add 5 mm to it .

Try the calculation using Ballantine's formula of 1.09 x inside leg = saddle top to pedal dimension. If I set a saddle by trial and error for comfort and lack of knee pain, then measure it after, I find both the Ballantine and Lemond method numbers are very similar to my actual empirical adjustment.

Top Bottom