Hips rocking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I tried to feel my hips and im not sure they were "rocking" but theres alot of movement in my back which i wasn't sure was a good thing!
Here's a thought: to get a feel for this, try putting your saddle up in fairly large steps until it is vv obvious that your hips are rocking (there comes a point when it is totally unavoidable!)

That might help you "sense" it when the saddle is at a more rideable height.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Making changes in large steps is never the recommended thing to do. Adjustments are minute, a mm or two at a time

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Yeah i know what you ment, just raise it up while on the trainer untill its obviously too high that my hips are rocking to give me a sense of what it feels like when lowered to the correct height.

I think im just going to go with the if it aint broke dont fix it route

Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Not really, I did this once entirely by accident and nearly tore my Achilles off the bone
The OP is using flat pedals so easier to disengage feet :okay:

Wrong. With the pedal at the bottom of its stroke the leg should be in what's called the "naturally cocked" position, meaning hanging loose rather than stretched straight. In this position the heel should just contact the pedal when swung gently back and forth.

This thread contains some of the worst advice I've ever seen collected together in one CC thread.

FWIW the hip movement in the OP's video doesn't look abnormal to me. What you're seeing is the muscles moving. A video shot properly in landscape (hence taking up the entire screen) with the rider's hip area in lycra shorts and top or even just underpants and bare top would tell us more. There will always be hip movement when making an effort so in the landscape video, ride with normal effort.
I said 'straight', not 'stretched out'! What is the effective difference between just contacting the pedal and the heel being on the pedal with the leg straight? A few mm!
I'm not sure you fully understand what rule of thumb means (a broadly accurate guide or principle, based on practice rather than theory). There is no one size fits all 100% correct measurement for the saddle height/leg to be and there will be slight differences for riders based on physiology and history of injuries/knee problems, and possibly type of riding. As such, I am pleased to tell you that your rule of thumb for correct saddle height is OK as well. :rolleyes::okay:
Once a rider has got a saddle height by whichever rule of thumb they choose it will usually need a few minor tweaks following practice before it is completely right for them.

Disclaimer: I am not a professional bike fit practitioner, nor a professional physiologist/physiotherapist. So my views are just as likely as other people who are not to be bollux.

Last edited:
Top Bottom