Hit and Run in Knightsbridge. Cyclist chases down motorist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J.Primus

Agreed, there was a nasty whiff of racism about the now deleted posts. If people have nothing constructive to say then keep quiet, TD's done nothing to warrant personal abuse.
If there has been some nasty posts that have been deleted before I read them I take back my snarky comment above. I'm just going off what's there now.

gilespargiter

Veteran
I think this thread is hilarious in a very sad kind of way. It exactly demonstrates why the roads are the way they are. What else do you expect or think you will ever get, when a load of neurotic excitable monkeys full of their own self importance interact?

What we need to exercise is mutual respect, patience, understanding and good manners. I put it to you all that that is the only way we will ever have safe roads.

This thread has run to several pages now and views have been mixed. I'm quite strongly with gilespargiter above. It may be my age, but I find I rub along quite nicely with most other road users and most are courteous and skilled.

Many of those who've been slightly dismayed or aghast at the behaviour of the OP and the embracing of that mindset by others will (like me) be regular riders on the roads shown. We are not watching disapprovingly from some distant planet. These are our roads and we see the same unusual, selfish or dangerous behaviour by other road users daily.

My children (all teens) now ride roads all over London and the Three Counties; I have something of myself and my hopes invested in the future of the UK's roads. Many other CC regulars are the parents of keen cyclists. It can alter one's perspective.

I'd rather they didn't have to cycle around drivers of the type shown in these clips, but I'd also rather they didn't have to ride in the vicinity of self-appointed Highway Policemen who sprint, hoot, yell, stop traffic and generally seem to get a thrill out of using the streets as a Theatre of Unilateral Justice they can beam across the Internet.

There seems to be a strong minority view that the behaviour displayed by the OP is somehow a noble, Batman-like struggle for justice against a tide of civic indifference and dangerous driving. To me it smacks more of a man who misses the dreams, the toys and the moral simplicity of childhood. It disturbs me. I may be wrong.

If any of my children behaved as the OP did (but they wouldn't) I'd be strongly tempted to take their bicycles from them for a week (but I couldn't).

OP
OP
T

TrafficDroid

Good Morning,

I have just been advised by the Police that they have officially given a Police Warning to the Driver involved in the Knightsbbridge Incident. They cannot charge as the Cyclist Involved did not come forward. I am happy with this as we now have one Driver with his proverbial Red Card to ease his foot off the gas pedal. I would in future I ensure stop to assist any cyclist and help to bring Justice.
I am happy with the Result.

Good Morning,

I have just been advised by the Police that they have officially given a Police Warning to the Driver involved in the Knightsbbridge Incident. They cannot charge as the Cyclist Involved did not come forward. I am happy with this as we now have one Driver with his proverbial Red Card to ease his foot off the gas pedal. I would in future I ensure stop to assist any cyclist and help to bring Justice.
I am happy with the Result.

I'm not sure what a Police Warning is, but well done. His card's marked.

OP
OP
T

TrafficDroid

I'm not sure what a Police Warning is, but well done. His card's marked.
If he does it again within a specidied period and if reported by anyone else or his Registeration flags up..then his vehicle will be seized

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
If he does it again within a specidied period and if reported by anyone else or his Registeration flags up..then his vehicle will be seized
So he got a section 59? Roadsafe would be specific about the section 59. otherwise it's just logged on their system for records which is looked at if similar happens.
They get a warning first, the car isn't just seized after one incident.
The issue of a section 59 can be classed as a warning.

lejogger

Guru
I feel a little conflicted watching this, and I still don't know what my real opinion is.

Imagine witnessing a motorist knock down a fellow cyclist leaving them in the gutter. Would you belt it after them to try and ensure the offender was brought to justice?
Or imagine witnessing an urchin on the high street grab a young girl's handbag, knock her to the ground and sprint off. Would you sprint after them to try and ensure the offender was brought to justice?

Now imagine witnessing a motorist brush a cyclist but causing no real damage? Would you belt it after them to try and ensure the offender was brought to justice?
Or imagine witnessing an urchin on the high street rudely barge a young girl's shoulder and sprint off. Would you sprint after them to try and ensure the offender was brought to justice?

I'm not sure what the right and wrong answer to any of these questions are, if indeed there are any right or wrong answers.

I believe that for some here, maybe a lot, the answer to all 4 questions would be a resounding 'No'.

I think for me possibly on occasion, and for some of the rest of you, the answer would be 'Yes' to the first two only.

I imagine that the OP would answer 'Yes' to all 4.

Does that make him Noble? Brave? a Vigilante? Idiotic? Careless?

What does that make any of us? I'm not sure I know or would like to answer.

I think if a policeman were here he would say that the public should never make it their own duty to ensure that justice is served, and warn about the risks of such actions going pearshaped.

At the same time, members of the public have been applauded and given 'hero' status for occasions when they have stood up for themselves and others.

Maybe TD just wants to stand up for 'us' like a noble bully protector?
Maybe he wants to be lauded as a hero?

I don't have any answers, but these are my thoughts.

Top Bottom