Hit and Run Road Rage Incident Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Aside from the 2 households that witnessed opposite the event. They have only just been given the contact details tonight. They were not there when the PCSO visited.

Obviously, that’s assuming the commit to a statement as may not want to get involved.
I think they will not give one or if they do be vague, its local the bloke is proven unstable and aggressive. Maybe I have too little faith in human nature. Still wouldn't be sure if any action with a witness. Guessing that's what @Drago is alluding to. A minor charge and a small fine as long as he pleads guilty. Way to much aggro and you are still standing relatively uninjured "just a bit of property damage". It what I meant earlier things done in a car appear to be taken less seriously than other acts of violence or intimidation witness or no witness. I have said, and have seen it said if you wanted to do a one off hit for cash, as long as no connection to the victim, do it with a car. Might get a ban, and less than a year in clink or scott free.

I have seen on forums quite serious bike collisions with cars where there is clear fault go uncharged.

Drago

Legendary Member
What’s the penance for that, if there has been no previous offences? Just a fine and pay damages?

IIRC correctly, up to 6 months in prison. Courts tend to take a dim view of that one so tend to punish pretty firmly for it, although it hinges on what precons he may or may not already have.

400bhp

Guru
As far as classification is concerned, the regional support have decided that it can’t be a Road Traffic Incident as I have described the incident as a deliberate unprovoked attack with intent. They have it down as a Public Order Offence

That sounds good.

And to those speculating on whether or not witnesses will come forward, why speculate? It's pointless and negative.

400bhp

Guru
Yes I get all that, it's just depressing that the glass half empty brigade jump in and pour cold water on it.

It's a result that they are not treating it as a road traffic offence. Baby steps and all that. I'd like @bpsmith to explain (when he's ready) the reasons why (with appropriate wording to use if that's available) the police have taken it down the non road offence route. No rush, just when he's ready. The more information and experience we have as cyclists to get incidents treated this way the more likely (in my view) the roads will become safer, within current road legislation.

macky

take some doughnuts round for the police , you might get a response then.
You need to make the guy pay for his actions.
Good luck

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Yes I get all that, it's just depressing that the glass half empty brigade jump in and pour cold water on it.

It's a result that they are not treating it as a road traffic offence. Baby steps and all that. I'd like @bpsmith to explain (when he's ready) the reasons why (with appropriate wording to use if that's available) the police have taken it down the non road offence route. No rush, just when he's ready. The more information and experience we have as cyclists to get incidents treated this way the more likely (in my view) the roads will become safer, within current road legislation.
As part of the glass half empty brigade, why do you see it a benefit that it is not being treated as a road traffic incident, after all the main deed was done in the car? I would have thought the chance of his license being endorsed, and or banned would benefit other road users more plus have consequences for him come insurance renewal. Genuinely not picking a fight but I thought it was the Police were taking the route of least resistance.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They have it down as a Public Order Offence. This can change depending on what he says and also the witnesses, but it means I can’t attempt to claim via his car insurance presently.
I think you could claim via his public liablity insurance (probably part of his household insurance) so it's still worth contacting BC or whoever you're going to use and setting things in motion. Who covers the cost of the damage he's caused is his problem more than yours.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It doesn't matter what the police think for the purposes of a car insurance claim.

If it was a genuine accident, the police wouldn't think anything of it, but the insurance claim would still proceed.

The driver either damaged the bike with his car, or he did not.

A related criminal conviction of the driver would be strong support for the insurance claim, but it is not critical to it.

If it were me, I would pay four quid to AskMid, get the driver's insurance details, and claim directly from them.

Get the Gene genie on the case, full confession in minutes.

vickster

Legendary Member
It doesn't matter what the police think for the purposes of a car insurance claim.

If it was a genuine accident, the police wouldn't think anything of it, but the insurance claim would still proceed.

The driver either damaged the bike with his car, or he did not.

A related criminal conviction of the driver would be strong support for the insurance claim, but it is not critical to it.

If it were me, I would pay four quid to AskMid, get the driver's insurance details, and claim directly from them.
I think LD will get insurance details if you have the reg. I didn't know which company the driver who knocked me off is with. It wasn't even on my radar to ask at the scene!

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
IIRC correctly, up to 6 months in prison. Courts tend to take a dim view of that one so tend to punish pretty firmly for it, although it hinges on what precons he may or may not already have.
That’s the rub for me. On the one hand, he could be doing this all the time and/or might be more serious next time. On the other hand, it might be a one off. There’s no way of really knowing though.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
As for the bike. I need a barrel adjuster for the Iltegra rear derailleur and a new hanger. I will try straightening the current one, as I have the right tool, but it’s been done once before so likely brittle now.

Both ordered for £25.

Also need a new tyre, but have a spare one that I can use temporarily to test the derailleur out first.

Mentally, I need to put it right, even if cosmetically it isn’t perfect just yet.

classic33

Leg End Member
As for the bike. I need a barrel adjuster for the Iltegra rear derailleur and a new hanger. I will try straightening the current one, as I have the right tool, but it’s been done once before so likely brittle now.

Both ordered for £25.

Also need a new tyre, but have a spare one that I can use temporarily to test the derailleur out first.

Mentally, I need to put it right, even if cosmetically it isn’t perfect just yet.
Make no repairs just yet. Use a seperate bike if possible.

Johnno260

Veteran
Regardless of what the police do, it's been reported, and you don't need the police for an insurance claim.

The guy has caused damage to property regardless of the cost, he should pay.

I was in the wrong place and wrong time recently in my car, some tool came round a corner way too fast while I was entering my driveway, he swerved across the road and caused damage to his car, the crash investigator measured everything and said the guy was totally speeding, my insurance deemed me to the obstacle, even though I had done nothing wrong and paid out, I have zero tolerance to people who cause themselves or others damage because they're idiots, or inconsiderate road users.

My take on this is don't spend anything, make this guy fork out.

Top Bottom