Hit and Run Road Rage Incident Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nonethewiser

This is awful and obviously that character has serious anger management issues. Mercifully he didn't cause you serious harm. It's possible his wife/partner didn't react because a) she was stunned into silence as she'd never seen him act in such a way or b) she's been on the receiving end of his anger on a number of occasions and is scared to death of him. Had I behaved in such a manner, my wife would have stormed out of the car, kicked me in the crown jewels, given you every assistance and then shopped me to the cops before issuing divorce proceedings. GWS and I hope you can resolve this upsetting incident to your satisfaction asap.

boydj

Legendary Member
In terms of dealing with the police, it can be difficult to get hold of individual officers due to shifts and work priorities. What I did last year after an incident was to get the e-mail address of the officer dealing with the case. I then wrote out a full statement and e-mailed it to the officer and he was able to deal with it at a convenient time. With e-mail you have a record of any discussions and it takes some pressure off everybody - you don't need a face-to-face with the officer if you can give a detailed statement in writing, and the officer will appreciate the time saved in not having to visit or have you attend so a statement can be taken. Having the facts and noting the seriousness of the incident will hopefully spur some further action.

classic33

Leg End Member
I haven’t called them yet. Want to give the Police one last chance, so I know what to tell BC. Will see later.
Tell them what you've said here, no real response from them. A call/letter from them, on your behalf, may just get the information required.

vickster

Legendary Member
I haven’t called them yet. Want to give the Police one last chance, so I know what to tell BC. Will see later.
The police element is irrelevant to getting the damages claim underway but your choice :smile:

I just provided the statement I completed for the police when it was available. It has no bearing on the legal case. The important thing is to get the driver to admit liability but that doesn't happen until all paperwork ready

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
@bpsmith, I went three years with the police not wanting to get involved with a cyclist. Like you I gave them chances to get things done. @vickster is correct in what she's said, getting any claim underway doesn't require police involvement.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Have just spoken to the Sergeant. He was relatively unaware of the details but said he will be discussing this with the PC who I spoke to on Sunday. They are going to review the notes tonight and call me tomorrow evening to advise exactly where we stand.

At that point I will ask for an email address and put this all in writing, albeit electronically, as suggested above.

I am going to get my own statement on paper and then ring BC tomorrow to get that started too @vickster.

The list of parts to replace comes to around £800, at full RRP which is what they use for insurance purposes.

The good news is that I have a spare set of wheels and can source a rear derailleur on loan too. Aside from cosmetics, I can get the bike roadworthy for the price of a rear hanger.

The frame is completely solid with no marks on it, aside from a couple of grazes inside the chain and seat stays. The question is whether it’s fair for me to have to accept that.

EDIT: Pleased to add that I am watching the final climb on Milan-Torino on Eurosport and can’t wait to eat bavk out there once the swelling eases. No sign of anxiety whatsoever. :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
Have just spoken to the Sergeant. He was relatively unaware of the details but said he will be discussing this with the PC who I spoke to on Sunday. They are going to review the notes tonight and call me tomorrow evening to advise exactly where we stand.

At that point I will ask for an email address and put this all in writing, albeit electronically, as suggested above.

I am going to get my own statement on paper and then ring BC tomorrow to get that started too @vickster.

The list of parts to replace comes to around £800, at full RRP which is what they use for insurance purposes.

The good news is that I have a spare set of wheels and can source a rear derailleur on loan too. Aside from cosmetics, I can get the bike roadworthy for the price of a rear hanger.

The frame is completely solid with no marks on it, aside from a couple of grazes inside the chain and seat stays. The question is whether it’s fair for me to have to accept that.

EDIT: Pleased to add that I am watching the final climb on Milan-Torino on Eurosport and can’t wait to eat bavk out there once the swelling eases. No sign of anxiety whatsoever. :smile:
Have a look at Vikeonabike statement guide and consider using that as your template. Fill in the blanks to match your case.

You'll be down a set of spare wheels though, and I'd not be tempted to ride the same bike again, until you contact BC and hear from them on the legal side.

It is only a bike after all!

alicat

Legendary Member
It's an awful thing to have happened to you @bpsmith. Keep on at the police so this nutter can't carry on doing that kind of thing.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

I tend to look at the worst case scenario, and hopefully work up from there.

The worst case here is that when all comes to all you can get nothing on insurance.

The fact you can get a roadworthy bike again at little cost is therefore good news, and there is a reasonable expectation the outcome will be better than that.

Although fair it is not.

At the risk of over-analysing, I'd have liked to have heard a bit more enthusiasm from the sergeant you spoke to tonight.

But it may be he is just being honest and straightforward with you, which is to be admired.

Given that it's not easy to guide coppers in the direction you want them to go, I think you are doing pretty well so far.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I tend to look at the worst case scenario, and hopefully work up from there.

The worst case here is that when all comes to all you can get nothing on insurance.

The fact you can get a roadworthy bike again at little cost is therefore good news, and there is a reasonable expectation the outcome will be better than that.

Although fair it is not.

At the risk of over-analysing, I'd have liked to have heard a bit more enthusiasm from the sergeant you spoke to tonight.

But it may be he is just being honest and straightforward with you, which is to be admired.

Given that it's not easy to guide coppers in the direction you want them to go, I think you are doing pretty well so far.
Strangely enough, after taking a step back and thinking about it today, I had come to pretty much the same conclusion when talking to my Wife this evening.

It’s just a bike and one that I could ride again for reasonable outlay. 2 days of stressing and over analysing has got me nowhere, so totally agree with you.

I was open and honest on the phone to the Sergeant, without being judgemental about where I perceived the situation to be at present, so I think he followed suit and gave me the same courtesy. Can’t argue at that respect.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I was open and honest on the phone to the Sergeant, without being judgemental about where I perceived the situation to be at present, so I think he followed suit and gave me the same courtesy. Can’t argue it that respect.

That is all you can do.

There's an old saying about worrying about the things you can effect, but not the things you can't.

Give the police your side of it, don't minimise it, but don't over play it either.

What they do with it is up to them.

Top Bottom