Hit and Run Road Rage Incident Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Not good any of this.:sad:

How come you know where he lives?

What's clear from this thread is that there clearly isn't an easy process to bring this to its correct conclusion, ie the individual severly punished. There are so many questions from the OP and others and differing answers from others, both in terms of what to do, what the police are/aren't doing/likely outcome.:sad:
He left the car door blocking most of the road, whilst outside his house. Car has been there since late afternoon yesterday. It's not far from where I live and I have to drive past to get home.

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't think you're being unreasonable in wanting to get something done.

In the meantime, when you hand your bike over, say why and tell them no work on it at present. if you've put any notes on paper, have them ready when giving your statement.

One criticism. You shown the photo of the damage to one leg, with nothing for comparison. Could you not get both legs in the same picture.

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 4991037, member: 9609"]go to the police station and sit in reception until you get some action.[/QUOTE]
At the least produce your insurance details, as required.

classic33

Leg End Member
Not good any of this.:sad:

How come you know where he lives?

What's clear from this thread is that there clearly isn't an easy process to bring this to its correct conclusion, ie the individual severly punished. There are so many questions from the OP and others and differing answers from others, both in terms of what to do, what the police are/aren't doing/likely outcome.:sad:
He's been involved in an incident with the vehicle, he can put a request into the DVLA(DVLS?) for the details of the owner.

That's what I ended up doing, having seen the car that hit me by chance parked outside a house. I also went through the local phonebook to get a name and number for the address. Leaving a number on which the owner could contact me(she never did return the call).

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I don't think you're being unreasonable in wanting to get something done.

In the meantime, when you hand your bike over, say why and tell them no work on it at present. if you've put any notes on paper, have them ready when giving your statement.

One criticism. You shown the photo of the damage to one leg, with nothing for comparison. Could you not get both legs in the same picture.
They are going to look st the bike during my lunch hour, so no work will be done. Cheers for the heads up though.

My legs are so big that I can’t get both of them in one shot. :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
They are going to look st the bike during my lunch hour, so no work will be done. Cheers for the heads up though.

My legs are so big that I can’t get both of them in one shot.
:smile:
Hold the camera a bit further away, or get someone else to take the picture!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Asking British Cycling is a thought, but as there's no personal injury the claim may not amount to much, which in turn means their solicitors may not be very interested in it.

I can confirm: while they will handle a non-injury case, they are profoundly uninterested and you'll have to chase them every step of the way. I honestly think I'd have been better off going the small-claims route. I didn't renew with BC and joined LCC instead as a direct result of the piss-poor service offered by their solicitors.

Ste T.

Guru
Reading the thread makes me inclined to get a camera.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
[QUOTE 4991037, member: 9609"]go to the police station and sit in reception until you get some action.[/QUOTE]
That will be my only choice tomorrow I think, depending on the night shift PC tonight.

classic33

Leg End Member
That will be my only choice tomorrow I think, depending on the night shift PC tonight.
Remember to get the collision number. If there isn't one, there's a strong chance that it'll not have been recorded as happening.

I learnt that last bit the hard way, over six months after being hit.

Drago

Legendary Member
It depends which software suite the force is using. About half have now moved on to NICHE with gives all incidents of any kind an occurrence number, so you would no longer get a separate identifier for a collision.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Remember to get the collision number. If there isn't one, there's a strong chance that it'll not have been recorded as happening.

I learnt that last bit the hard way, over six months after being hit.
I have the call log reference and was given a separate crime number earlier.

Managed to speak to the PC who was diverted to another call yesterday. She said it’s with the other PC now, who is a road traffic accident officer. She did give me a direct extn for their supervisor, but they are not answering.

I rang 101 again and spoke to someone for an update. They advised me that there have been updates but that they cannot tell me anything. They advised that it’s now been passed to the divisional unit and I may get a call in 24-48 hours! When asked, they couldn’t guarantee that though. I was also told that if I went to the main police station there would be no guarantee of being able to speak to anyone about this.

Is this really the way things are supposed to work? Totally disenchanted, despite trying very hard consider how busy they must be with limited resources.

I may not turn down an ambulance if anything happens again. What a waste of resource that would be though.

There is honestly no wonder that criminals don’t feel worried about doing exactly what they please!?!

EDIT: This isn’t a pop at any individuals involved, or at any police officers in general btw. More at the system as I am sure that I will get somewhere once I actually get to talk to someone. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
It depends which software suite the force is using. About half have now moved on to NICHE with gives all incidents of any kind an occurrence number, so you would no longer get a separate identifier for a collision.
Local one still records RTA's/RTI's with a seperate number.

Lozz360

Veteran
Presumably his 'missus' would be a witness? Assuming she's not mute, hence not saying anything (probably also scared witless)
If they are married then she won't need to testify against her husband under UK law.

Truly shocking story. I do so hope appropriate justice is served on the perp.

Top Bottom