Hit and Run Road Rage Incident Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4991531, member: 9609"]@Drago would an incident like this be subject to NIP ?
if so then time is of the essence, if the police faff about for 14 days then no charges can be brought - It just demonstrates what a parallel universe motoring crime exists in, I can't thing of any other crime that you could commit where the police only have 14 days after which you have got away with it.[/QUOTE]

Given we are looking at dangerous drive or possibly one of the assault charges, Notices of Intended Prosecution (NIPs) don't come into it.

On a separate point, there is political pressure on coppers not to leave suspects on bail for months on end.

The thinking being a suspect should know sooner rather than later if he is to be charged.

It appears the OP has been told 'there have been updates', but not what they are.

It may be the police have already been to see the driver, and, to use the modern phrase, 'bailed him under investigation'.

Whatever, there is no strict legal pressure of time on the police at this stage.

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4991531, member: 9609"]@Drago would an incident like this be subject to NIP ?
if so then time is of the essence, if the police faff about for 14 days then no charges can be brought - It just demonstrates what a parallel universe motoring crime exists in, I can't thing of any other crime that you could commit where the police only have 14 days after which you have got away with it.[/QUOTE]One would hope he'd be arrested because there's a public order element in his behaviour.

Crankarm

Guru
I have to say the police are so pathetic I wouldn't have even bothered involving them I would have just decked the moron and claimed self defence if he had the audacity to make a claim of assault. I would now make a complaint to the IPCC owing to the dreadful service you have received from the police. I would contact BC to get a solicitor on board. Presumably you have the reg of the car and good description if not the name of the moron who ran you over damaged your bike and injured you? Give this all to the solicitor who can take over from you and get results as sure as hell the police won't give you the driver's insurance details citing Data Protection which is what the b******s did to me some years ago when I was knocked down by a chav in an Astra. I would drop any expectations you might still have of the police being of any assistance. they are frankly bloody useless unless it suits them i.e. one of their own is injured or threatened. The police are only concerned with criminal acts but if they CBA then proceed sharpish with a civil claim for damages against the driver and as other's have said make use of British Cycling and their solicitors to take this on for you. In the mean time pour some rotten milk in the heater vents of his car. What he did to you must have been terrifying and no copper or court is ever going to deal with him with sufficient severity if it were ever to get that far which judging by the pathetic response to you so far is highly unlikely to happen.
Do you have a head cam Go Pro or similar? Names and contact details of witnesses?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I may not turn down an ambulance if anything happens again. What a waste of resource that would be though.
Not entirely. It would probably have saved the trip to A&E and lots of chasing the police up. People shouldn't worry about calling them for things like this, as they'll be diverted to more urgent cases if needed.

I'm less comfortable with the occasional suggestion that you remain in the road until the ambulance arrives even when reasonably able to move, but stories like this make that approach understandable IMO.

Crankarm

Guru
Not entirely. It would probably have saved the trip to A&E and lots of chasing the police up. People shouldn't worry about calling them for things like this, as they'll be diverted to more urgent cases if needed.

I'm less comfortable with the occasional suggestion that you remain in the road until the ambulance arrives even when reasonably able to move, but stories like this make that approach understandable IMO.

I would get out the road sharpish if you can as when I was knocked down in jan 2010 two cars driven by chav morons deliberately drove at me as I lay writhing in pain the occupants shouting at me to get out the road!

classic33

Leg End Member
That, Crankarm has to be the most unhelpful post on this thread.

And that's coming from a person who bought an industrial wheel clamp(albeit secondhand) with the intention of using it to do to the owner what they allowed done to me. Denial of their transport, having made certain the police knew of my intentions.

Comma added after "That"(first word) in edit.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member

Who's made and where, the suggestion that he should stay in the road until the ambulance arrives. Of the top of my head the advice given in the thread is "move, if you can do so without further injury to yourself".

I'm a frequent, if not voluntary user of the ambulance service/A&E over the years, and I'd like to think I'm not abusing either service if I can help matters. That includes when others have had to call them for me. The last time being me in the road, blocking traffic, completly unaware, until much later.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Who's made and where, the suggestion that he should stay in the road until the ambulance arrives. Of the top of my head the advice given in the thread is "move, if you can do so without further injury to yourself".
Not him specifically but you know people advise staying in the road as you replied to one in https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/b...yers-any-recommendations-or-avoidance.218578/ and it's not only this forum where it's suggested. I don't think merely calling an ambulance after being run over and unsure if injured is an abuse.

vickster

Legendary Member
Staying in the road sounds pretty dangerous and daft unless you can't move. I couldn't get out of the road quickly enough when I was knocked off just after a very busy junction on a very busy road. And I potentially had a broken leg - not that I knew that at that point in time, self preservation was the only thing on my mind!

And I'd not been deliberately run over by a road rage motorist

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4991783, member: 9609"]and if he was bigger and tougher than you ?
not every cyclist is the hardest bloke in town, may be that is your problem; the police take one look at you and think to themseves, well he's big enough and tough enough to look after himself?

I think the goal in society is to move on from beating the feck out of each other[/QUOTE]

Kenneth Noye is an outstanding reason not to waste breath, time or even your life exchanging words with road idiots. Google brings up dozens of road rage murderers names, but Noye is a text book example as to no matter how big, hard or scary you are, there is always some psychopath more dangerous than you.

Alan O

Über Member
I rang 101 again and spoke to someone for an update. They advised me that there have been updates but that they cannot tell me anything. They advised that it’s now been passed to the divisional unit and I may get a call in 24-48 hours! When asked, they couldn’t guarantee that though. I was also told that if I went to the main police station there would be no guarantee of being able to speak to anyone about this.

Is this really the way things are supposed to work? Totally disenchanted, despite trying very hard consider how busy they must be with limited resources.
If they say there have been updates, they may well have actually been working on it while you've been waiting for the call. And the police are often very limited in what they can tell the involved parties, especially in the early stages - they have to be very careful not to reveal anything that could jeopardize any possible court case.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
If they say there have been updates, they may well have actually been working on it while you've been waiting for the call. And the police are often very limited in what they can tell the involved parties, especially in the early stages - they have to be very careful not to reveal anything that could jeopardize any possible court case.
I agree. My gut reaction was always that they have been doing something about it. I tried to convey that throughout the above posts. The frustration is having no feedback or update since they said they were coming to see me an hour after the incident.

I have finally managed to get an element of an update. A supervisor has advised me to call the Sergeant for my local area at 22:30. She advised that he will be able to discuss it fully with me.

She didn’t want to tell me anything as she “didn’t want to give me false hope if she didn’t have the full facts”. Call me optimistic, but that suggests that I may be happy with whatever is available to her on screen?

Will hopefully find out later.

Bike is at the shop now too. At face value, they thought the frame is intact, but will check it out and create a list of parts needed for me.

Top Bottom