Bike accident? No win no fee lawyers - any recommendations or avoidance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As title.

In 2013 I got wiped out by a driver who turned left at some traffic lights, foreign driver, I was in bike lane going straight on. Right of way just didn't check his mirror at all. Resulted in me having to swerve and hit the back of his car going a55 over t17 and snapping my wrist in half. 18 months recovery.

After accident and in shock the guy didn't give me his details, just a mobile and reg.

Long and short, after over 3 years and him and his insurance company denying all responsibility I have been offered a reasonable amount.

After nearly 4 years, loads of expert opinions and legal fees. That my no win no fee lawyer will have pocketed.

Anyone else have any information about these lawyers and success?

I certainly wouldn't use the company recommended to me by accident help line now!

And before anyone jumps in - I was told by the hospital that my snapped wrist would take 6 weeks to heal!! The guy wrote my bike off, that had just been completely upgraded and serviced. Offered me £150 - which didn't even cover the repairs labour.

Went from arguing fault to eventually, after over 3 years, deciding not to contest!

Bit pointless being honest and posting this or my opinions - most people seem to know better as to what happened and misquoting the law.

If there is an offence for calling 999 it is not made clear here. If you have been knocked off your bike stay down and call 999 - That's my advice ....

Shouldn't of been honest! According to the majority on here if you get knocked off your bike do what I, stupidly did, get up when injured and don't bother calling 999......

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
My ongoing case is being handled by Leigh Day through British Cycling membership - their fees will be totally separate from the payout I'll eventually get

I personally wouldn't use ambulance chasers off the the TV or from a cold call!

It's not at all clear (to me) from your post if you did eventually get a sensible settlement for the wrist or not?

OP
OP
B

Bonacentral

My ongoing case is being handled by Leigh Day through British Cycling membership - their fees will be totally separate from the payout I'll eventually get

I personally wouldn't use ambulance chasers off the the TV or from a cold call!

It's not at all clear (to me) from your post if you did eventually get a sensible settlement for the wrist or not?

Sorry. Yes I did, EVENTUALLY!!

After nearly 4 years and SOOOOOOOOO much hassle. Guy admitted responsibility hence his initial offer of £150.

It was only after my wrist was in no way fixed after 6 weeks, as told by student Dr in casualty - didn't have a clue - and that a relative told me about these lawyers that I even tried.

The sad thing is that I am not a fake claimant like these "whiplash" victims. Wanted it done and dusted. Unfortunately he and his insurance company really dragged it out. For over 3 years!!!

Major lesson learnt. If you can use a bike cam. If not - DO NOT MOVE - even if you are fine and holding up traffic. Stay prone. Insist on emergency treatment - police and Ambulance. There is then a record of it - and it also compels traffic to stay there.

Insist on a breath / drug test of the driver and access to their phone records. Summon any traffic or CCTV camera footage and insist that any other drivers - especially at a 4 way traffic light - make a witness statement and are also subjected to drug / alcohol tests.

LOL - Sad isn't it - that people aren't honest or are too busy getting to work or off their heads or hate cyclists so much and can't spare 10 minutes. That's life and a major lesson learnt!!

My accident happened at a 4 way traffic light in rush hour. I thought I was OK and was wary of getting run over and holding people up so moved out the way to help these motorists. BIG mistake. I should of stayed in the middle of the 4 way lights on my back.

That's what you get for being considerate!!! DON'T do it!!!

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Sorry. Yes I did, EVENTUALLY!!

After nearly 4 years and SOOOOOOOOO much hassle. Guy admitted responsibility hence his initial offer of £150.

It was only after my wrist was in no way fixed after 6 weeks, as told by student Dr in casualty - didn't have a clue - and that a relative told me about these lawyers that I even tried.

The sad thing is that I am not a fake claimant like these "whiplash" victims. Wanted it done and dusted. Unfortunately he and his insurance company really dragged it out. For over 3 years!!!

Major lesson learnt. If you can use a bike cam. If not - DO NOT MOVE - even if you are fine and holding up traffic. Stay prone. Insist on emergency treatment - police and Ambulance. There is then a record of it - and it also compels traffic to stay there.

Insist on a breath / drug test of the driver and access to their phone records. Summon any traffic or CCTV camera footage and insist that any other drivers - especially at a 4 way traffic light - make a witness statement!

LOL - Sad isn't it - that people aren't honest or are too busy getting to work and can't spare 10 minutes. That's life and a major lesson learnt!!
I had no issue, the driver admitted liability immediately, no cam needed - over 3 years ago...it's the slow wheels of the legal system (and medical system) that's holding mine up. It was all handled impeccably by the Met police too at the time

Drago

Legendary Member
Why are you advising people to abuse the emergency services in order to protect your position as a victim? Someone could die waiting for an ambulance that never comes because a rider is worried about maximising the chances of a payout.

Its an offence to make a false report to a 999 service, you shouldn't really be advising people to break the law for that sake of financial convenience.

It's not up to you whether the police alcohol or drug test a driver - the legislation covering the situation at hand determines that.

CCTV footage is a DPA issue, its not up to you to determine what the police are able to access. Many major organisations won't release their CCTV of ANPR car park data to the police for anything shirt of a murder, and you certainly won't get it for minor injuries.

Ditto, mobile phone subscriber date requires a RIPA be authorised, and that will not happen unless a death or life changing injury is being investigated.

Moral of the story for the rest of us - only take legal advice from someone qualified to give it. Dont risk getting yourself reported for summons at the scene for making a false report, causing an officers time to be wasted, or obstruct police. I have done it - only once, but I did it nevertheless...

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bonacentral

I had no issue, the driver admitted liability immediately, no cam needed - over 3 years ago...it's the slow wheels of the legal system (and medical system) that's holding mine up. It was all handled impeccably by the Met police too at the time

That's lucky if the driver has admitted liability without contesting. Glad you got yours sorted but still seems like a ridiculous time if you have been waiting 3 years and driver admitted liability?!!

Mine didn't!!

vickster

Legendary Member
That's lucky if the driver has admitted liability without contesting. Glad you got yours sorted but still seems like a ridiculous time if you have been waiting 3 years and driver admitted liability?!!

Mine didn't!!
It's because I'm not recovered - the last surgery was only in December :sad: It takes forever for medical records to be provided [I believe hospitals have up to 3 months to provide], then to see experts and for them to report (I'm told slow is normal)

OP
OP
B

Bonacentral

It's because I'm not recovered - the last surgery was only in December :sad: It takes forever for medical records to be provided [I believe hospitals have up to 3 months to provide], then to see experts and for them to report (I'm told slow is normal)

Seems stupid - especially when it's all digitised! Bit like this post,

"Why are you advising people to abuse the emergency services in order to protect your position as a victim? Someone could die waiting for an ambulance that never comes because a rider is worried about maximising the chances of a payout.

Its an offence to make a false report to a 999 service, you shouldn't really be advising people to break the law for that same of financial convenience."

A bloke posting on a cycling forum - snakes from the inside eh?!

Did try to make my post clear. Wasn't about £ - but had a serious accident and got completely buggered about. I'd do things differently if I got hit by a car again.

Depresses me when people like that post on a cycling forum - missed The Mail....

Drago

Legendary Member
I can read. You're advising people to commit offences to ensure maximum advantage to themselves. I have reported someone for summons for doing exactly what you are advising.

No one is trolling. Encouraging people to commit offences should be challenged.

OP
OP
B

Bonacentral

Why are you advising people to abuse the emergency services in order to protect your position as a victim? Someone could die waiting for an ambulance that never comes because a rider is worried about maximising the chances of a payout.

Its an offence to make a false report to a 999 service, you shouldn't really be advising people to break the law for that sake of financial convenience.

It's not up to you whether the police alcohol or drug test a driver - the legislation covering the situation at hand determines that.

CCTV footage is a DPA issue, its not up to you to determine what the police are able to access. Many major organisations won't release their CCTV of ANPR car park data to the police for anything shirt of a murder, and you certainly won't get it for minor injuries.

Ditto, mobile phone subscriber date requires a RIPA be authorised, and that will not happen unless a death or life changing injury is being investigated.

Moral of the story for the rest of us - only take legal advice from someone qualified to give it. Dont risk getting yourself reported for summons at the scene for making a false report, causing an officers time to be wasted, or obstruct police. I have done it - only once, but I did it nevertheless...

Definitely not you then?

vickster

Legendary Member
Seems stupid - especially when it's all digitised! Bit like this post,

"Why are you advising people to abuse the emergency services in order to protect your position as a victim? Someone could die waiting for an ambulance that never comes because a rider is worried about maximising the chances of a payout.

Its an offence to make a false report to a 999 service, you shouldn't really be advising people to break the law for that same of financial convenience."

A bloke posting on a cycling forum - snakes from the inside eh?!

Did try to make my post clear. Wasn't about £ - but had a serious accident and got completely buggered about. I'd do things differently if I got hit by a car again.

Depresses me when people like that post on a cycling forum - missed The Mail....

My hospital notes are on paper mostly actually. And they aren't I believe allowed to email medical records for data protection/confidentiality reasons so they have to be printed and scanned. My notes run to over 500 pages, thus it's slow

Drago

Legendary Member
Laying in the road when completely unhurt, solely to ensure the attendance of the emergency services, is an offence.

I have sent someone to Court for exactly that. Do not do it. Do not encourage others to do it.

Top Bottom