Bike accident? No win no fee lawyers - any recommendations or avoidance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Someone could die waiting for an ambulance that never comes because a rider is worried about maximising the chances of a payout.
That's not how the ambulance service works. I witnessed a casualty lying on the road for an hour while two ambulances went by because though he had a head injury he was not on the verge of death. I actually followed on of the ambulances to make sure they weren't lost. The EMT was able to talk to me while unloaded the stretcher, and tell me he was attending a "20 minute response call" eg stroke or heart attack.

Similarly when I broke my clavicle I was told it was a 45 minute wait for an ambulance "at the moment" ie if something serious occurred in that time, I'd be waiting longer. The police who called the ambulance for me seemed to understand very well how this worked. Are you sure you were really in the police?

And you don't? Read back your own posts in a bit when you're a bit calmer and you may fimd you wish to tone them down a bit ^_^

Drago has issues. @Bonacentral doesn't like to be accused of suggesting people break the law.

When I was knocked off my bike, I just told the driver "call the police" No one would call that wasting the police's time or making a false report. I'd been knocked off. I wanted police to attend.

Last edited:
Perhaps, but on this occasion I don't see anything particularly controversial in his posts.
He was suggesting calling 999 after a RTC could be an offence. I don't think that's true. Lying on the road if you aren't injured could get you for obstructing the highway, but that's not what was said (Edit: not what was said at first).

I don't see any need for lying on the road after a collision, but insisting the police and ambulance are called after you've been knocked off and injured (even if you think it's minor) seems are good idea.

Tin Pot

Guru
He was suggesting calling 999 after a RTC could be an offence. I don't think that's true. Lying on the road if you aren't injured could get you for obstructing the highway, but that's not what was said (Edit: not what was said at first).

I don't see any need for lying on the road after a collision, but insisting the police and ambulance are called after you've been knocked off and injured (even if you think it's minor) seems are good idea.

No he didn't. Clearly the OP has recommended people insist on staying in the road and having an ambulance attend regardless of the injury.

He's new here, so a certain amount of leeway, but I can only see insults and abuse coming from one side, and law abiding recommendations from the other.

No he didn't. Clearly the OP has recommended people insist on staying in the road and having an ambulance attend regardless of the injury.

He's new here, so a certain amount of leeway, but I can only see insults and abuse coming from one side, and law abiding recommendations from the other.
"Its an offence to make a false report to a 999 service, "

Is it a false report to a 999 service is you have been knocked of your bike?

classic33

Leg End Member
As a cyclist who was T-boned and ended up travelling on the bonnet of the vehicle that hit me(drunk driver amongst other things), I'd advise staying down only if you think there may be further injury in moving. You don't know what the other traffic will do. The last thing you'd want is to be hit second time, whilst on the floor.

Three years and eight months to get the case settled. I'd even bought a wheel clamp, once I'd found the car.

Go to Commuting and Utility Cycling on here. Thread called Accident Advice, put together from people responding on here and elsewhere. I may be the person who started the thread, but it's a collective in one place, and I'll not lay claim to it being all my own work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mjr

vickster

Legendary Member
There's no way I was going to lie in the road after I was knocked off, extremely busy and dark and cold!!

I dragged myself and my bike out of the road asap before even realising the extent of injury! I didn't want to be run over again. Witness called police and ambulance at my request who all turned up pretty swiftly

OP
OP
B

Bonacentral

Where?

I want to get quoted and understood. Not sure where it says that. Can you explain please?

Know you have gone off topic a bit. Any help or advice on the OP?

vickster

Legendary Member
Advice on a case that's been settled?
Indeed what advice do you want?

Join a cycling organisation who use lawyers experienced in cycling accidents and have knowledge and precedents to draw on from prior cases - e.g. British Cycling, Cycling UK, LCC (my LBS for example also has a recommended firm of solicitors - I not would go for any who advertise on TV - national accident helpline being one, also Slater & Gordon another (who are CyclingUK's legal group)

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bonacentral

As a cyclist who was T-boned and ended up travelling on the bonnet of the vehicle that hit me(drunk driver amongst other things), I'd advise staying down only if you think there may be further injury in moving. You don't know what the other traffic will do. The last thing you'd want is to be hit second time, whilst on the floor.

Three years and eight months to get the case settled. I'd even bought a wheel clamp, once I'd found the car.

You got "T-boned and ended up travelling on the bonnet of the vehicle that hit me(drunk driver amongst other things) I'd advise staying down only if you think there may be further injury in moving"

Really? Getting "T-boned and ended up travelling on the bonnet of the vehicle that hit me(drunk driver amongst other things)"

classic33

Leg End Member
Sorry. Yes I did, EVENTUALLY!!

After nearly 4 years and SOOOOOOOOO much hassle. Guy admitted responsibility hence his initial offer of £150.

It was only after my wrist was in no way fixed after 6 weeks, as told by student Dr in casualty - didn't have a clue - and that a relative told me about these lawyers that I even tried.

The sad thing is that I am not a fake claimant like these "whiplash" victims. Wanted it done and dusted. Unfortunately he and his insurance company really dragged it out. For over 3 years!!!

Major lesson learnt. If you can use a bike cam. If not - DO NOT MOVE - even if you are fine and holding up traffic. Stay prone. Insist on emergency treatment - police and Ambulance. There is then a record of it - and it also compels traffic to stay there.

Insist on a breath / drug test of the driver and access to their phone records. Summon any traffic or CCTV camera footage and insist that any other drivers - especially at a 4 way traffic light - make a witness statement and are also subjected to drug / alcohol tests.

LOL - Sad isn't it - that people aren't honest or are too busy getting to work or off their heads or hate cyclists so much and can't spare 10 minutes. That's life and a major lesson learnt!!

My accident happened at a 4 way traffic light in rush hour. I thought I was OK and was wary of getting run over and holding people up so moved out the way to help these motorists. BIG mistake. I should of stayed in the middle of the 4 way lights on my back.

That's what you get for being considerate!!! DON'T do it!!!

Where?

I want to get quoted
and understood. Not sure where it says that. Can you explain please?

Know you have gone off topic a bit. Any help or
advice on the OP?
Parts in bold. And the use of a camera may not always help, if it's damaged in the collision.

Top Bottom