Hit and Run Road Rage Incident Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I think you could claim via his public liablity insurance (probably part of his household insurance) so it's still worth contacting BC or whoever you're going to use and setting things in motion. Who covers the cost of the damage he's caused is his problem more than yours.

I think it wouldn't be covered (negligence and/or criminal) by third party liability.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Try watching Bladerunner 2059 if you liked the original then, it’s a long film but it will definitely take your mind off things.

Sorry I used an incident I was involved with as an example, it was meant to be taken as a point to push for this guy to pay, you’re the innocent party in this and it makes my blood boil when I read about things like this happening.
I can't remember a lot of the first one, so have just rented that to watch on my AppleTV this afternoon. Decided to go and see the new one with my Dad and Brother early next week. :smile:

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Update: I have decided to take the advice received above, and not do anything to the bike at this point. I have just completed the online report form, after speaking to British Cycling first. It seemed easier to do it that way and will await their call back over the next 24 hours or so. Might be Monday now, potentially, but that's fair enough if it is. Just spoke to the shop that I ordered the bits from online and they shipped them late yesterday, but have noted their system to allow me to return the bits if not needed. They are happy for this to be up to 2 months later in the circumstances.

Looking at the weather, it would appear to be an ideal time to take the deep section carbon rims off the other bike and get that more suitable for wet and windy rides, when I am up to riding again. As might be evident from my other posts above, I have been trying to divert my energy to something other than getting anxious/depressed by the whole thing. Focussing on the other bike will be more positive than looking at the damaged bike and not mess up anything with my claim.

Just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU for all of your support and advice too. It's kept me going this week.

If the frame does indeed need replacing, then at least that's one more Matte Black bike off the road, eh @vickster :laugh:

Edit: Already had a call back from British Cycling and it has been referred to Leigh Day, who they believe will call me back later. Certainly can't argue with that sort of response time!

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Update: I have decided to take the advice received above, and not do anything to the bike at this point. I have just completed the online report form, after speaking to Births Cycling first. It seemed easier to do it that way and will await their call back over the next 24 hours or so. Might be Monday now, potentially, but that's fair enough if it is. Just spoke to the shop that I ordered the bits from online and they shipped them late yesterday, but have noted their system to allow me to return the bits if not needed. They are happy for this to be up to 2 months later in the circumstances.

Looking at the weather, it would appear to be an ideal time to take the deep section carbon rims off the other bike and get that more suitable for wet and windy rides, when I am up to riding again. As might be evident from my other posts above, I have been trying to divert my energy to something other than getting anxious/depressed by the whole thing. Focussing on the other bike will be more positive than looking at the damaged bike and not mess up anything with my claim.

Just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU for all of your support and advice too. It's kept me going this week.

If the frame does indeed need replacing, then at least that's one more Matte Black bike off the road, et @vickster :laugh:
Just one question,

Who's Births Cycling?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think it wouldn't be covered (negligence and/or criminal) by third party liability.
I've just checked my policy and the relevant exclusions I found are you can't claim for legal expenses or your own injuries caused by your own criminal act, you can't claim for basically anything covered (or should be covered) by your motoring insurance and you can't claim for losses incurred by your own fraud. It looks like negligence is generally covered, as are injuries caused to others criminally. So you can thank me now for sort-of insuring you all ;)

Other policies may differ... but as I said earlier, who pays to put things back to how they were isn't really your problem as long as someone does.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've just checked my policy and the relevant exclusions I found are you can't claim for legal expenses or your own injuries caused by your own criminal act, you can't claim for basically anything covered (or should be covered) by your motoring insurance and you can't claim for losses incurred by your own fraud. It looks like negligence is generally covered, as are injuries caused to others criminally. So you can thank me now for sort-of insuring you all ;)

Other policies may differ... but as I said earlier, who pays to put things back to how they were isn't really your problem as long as someone does.
Don't have motor insurance, so that rules out you "sort of insuring" me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Filled out the BC form online and they called back earlier to confirm receipt and that they were forwarding on to Leigh Day. They wanted me to know so that I knew they would call, which is a good thing to do. Didn’t let on that I knew from info here.

Leigh Day then called when I was about to do the School Run and kindly offered to phone back in an hours time.

They were so impressed with the info given that they only needed a few more questions to be answered, which took about 10 mins tops.

Very impressed with the service from both parties. Fair play!

The only downside that they suggested could be an issue is that it’s borderline Civil/Criminal in nature so it’s all dependent on what the insurance say. They will attempt a Civil Claim on my behalf though nonetheless.

It’s in the hands of the Gods now. :smile:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I've never had to use Leigh Day's services myself (and long may it stay that way) but I was talking to their head of cycling recently in a work-related matter and was impressed with what he said, so I hope they live up to that for your sake.

If you want an idea of how seriously they take cycling, one of their team did the Transcontinental Race this year and finished 5th!

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
:thumbsup:Here's hoping it's resolved quickly

How's the leg?
The foot is bruised today, but looking at the weird purple colour in a perfect line about a cm from the bottom of my foot, it would appear it’s just the blood dissipating from the bruised area. Sounds worse than it is that bit btw. There’s no pain there and the other areas are feeling a touch better today. Thanks for asking.

The weird bit is when you wake up feeling like it’s a lot better. Get out of bed, then find 4 steps from the bed it’s not, when gravity takes over and the blood flows back.

classic33

Leg End Member
The foot is bruised today, but looking at the weird purple colour in a perfect line about a cm from the bottom of my foot, it would appear it’s just the blood dissipating from the bruised area. Sounds worse than it is that bit btw. There’s no pain there and the other areas are feeling a touch better today. Thanks for asking.

The weird bit is when you wake up feeling like it’s a lot better. Get out of bed, then find 4 steps from the bed it’s not, when gravity takes over and the blood flows back.
Photograph.

Top Bottom