Hit and Run Road Rage Incident Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
So glad you got out. I haven't summoned up the courage to go out properly since my last off seven weeks ago and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as yours.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
So glad you got out. I haven't summoned up the courage to go out properly since my last off seven weeks ago and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as yours.
There are people on here with accidents worse than mine too, but it doesn’t make my situation easier to deal with, even though I know it’s so. That’s not meant to sound harsh, I am just trying to say that what you’re going through yourself isn’t any less significant than anyone else’s situation.

I am truly gutted that you haven’t felt able to get back out there and I have felt that way for three weeks. I decided a week ago that as soon as the swelling had eased enough then I would get back out there. I even deliberately tagged on the road where the guy lives, just to get that out of the way. It’s cheered me up no end!

Please consider getting your bike out and doing just a few miles. You owe it to yourself and I promise you that you will feel far better for it!

alicat

Legendary Member
You're right about getting back out there. Part of me is scared and part of me doesn't want to risk reopening a wound if I come off again.

I was heading down a narrow country lane not far from me. A transit van came round the corner; in hindsight we were both going a bit too fast. I braked and realised I wasn't going to stop in time. I managed to squeeze through the narrowest of gaps off-road then lost control when I tried to get back on the tarmac too quickly. I ended up skidding down the middle of the road picking up gravel and all sorts of muck in my elbow. Six trips to the minor injuries unit and seven weeks to the day and I still have quite a large scab.

I am not sure I can face the lanes yet - they do attract boy and girl racers!

johnnyb47

Guru
As you say it doesn't matter as to how serious the accident was ,or is between different cyclists. Where all different and our confidences can be affected to different levels. I'm glad to hear your back on your bike @bpsmith and hope you to @alicat will feel better soon and manage to start enjoying your bike rides again.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
You're right about getting back out there. Part of me is scared and part of me doesn't want to risk reopening a wound if I come off again.

I was heading down a narrow country lane not far from me. A transit van came round the corner; in hindsight we were both going a bit too fast. I braked and realised I wasn't going to stop in time. I managed to squeeze through the narrowest of gaps off-road then lost control when I tried to get back on the tarmac too quickly. I ended up skidding down the middle of the road picking up gravel and all sorts of muck in my elbow. Six trips to the minor injuries unit and seven weeks to the day and I still have quite a large scab.

I am not sure I can face the lanes yet - they do attract boy and girl racers!
Now, to me, your accident sounds a lot worse than my incident. Amazing how we all see things differently. Stick with the recuperation, but promise yourself that you will get back out there. I won’t keep on at you any further, but will definitely keep an eye out for the post when you do. :smile:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
No contact from Police whatsoever. Still waiting on Leigh Day too, although the delay is with the guys insurance and not LD. LD have been superb so far tbh.

Got my first ride in after the incident. Loved it, albeit tough mentally and physically.

Glad you're out riding again, but 3 weeks since the incident and nothing from the police? That's little short of scandalous.
Makes you wonder if they're simply hoping you'll lose interest and not pursue it, doesn't it?

Personally, I'd be ringing them again, and if nothing was still forthcoming I'd be requesting to speak to the duty officer (or sergeant if that's the best available) and letting them know politely but firmly that if I hadn't had a fulsome update and details of exactly what action was being taken within 48 hours that I'd be logging a formal complaint. What you've described is nothing short of assault and the guy needs bringing to book.

alicat

Legendary Member
No contact from the police is terrible. The main way people realise that the sort of behaviour that you encountered is not acceptable is when there are consequences.

And yes, without hijacking your thread I will get out there. I am already out on my town bike and my folder and will head out for a run soon.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Glad you're out riding again, but 3 weeks since the incident and nothing from the police? That's little short of scandalous.
Makes you wonder if they're simply hoping you'll lose interest and not pursue it, doesn't it?

Personally, I'd be ringing them again, and if nothing was still forthcoming I'd be requesting to speak to the duty officer (or sergeant if that's the best available) and letting them know politely but firmly that if I hadn't had a fulsome update and details of exactly what action was being taken within 48 hours that I'd be logging a formal complaint. What you've described is nothing short of assault and the guy needs bringing to book.
Happy to sit back a little while, to see what Leigh Day can sort out with his insurance. Then pursue it with the Police. To be honest, I am inclined to just put the complaint in without giving the warning as it’s clear nothing is going to get done. It won’t be just yet mind you.

classic33

Leg End Member
No contact from the police is terrible. The main way people realise that the sort of behaviour that you encountered is not acceptable is when there are consequences.

And yes, without hijacking your thread I will get out there. I am already out on my town bike and my folder and will head out for a run soon.
You got decent lights for the darker nights now the clocks have changed!!

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Well that was worse than my expected, although I suppose three weeks is not a lot but you would think if they were doing something they would need to contact you or at least keep you up to date.
I gave up ringing them after 3 days of being told there were updates, but that they couldn’t tell me as the Officer dealing with it has to do that. Then eventually forced them to take a statement from me and no contact whatsoever since.

Apologies to any Police Officers on here, as don’t believe that everyone is the same, but my local stations appear to be very poor. This experience has certainly left its mark.

classic33

Leg End Member
I gave up ringing them after 3 days of being told there were updates, but that they couldn’t tell me as the Officer dealing with it has to do that. Then eventually forced them to take a statement from me and no contact whatsoever since.

Apologies to any Police Officers on here, as don’t believe that everyone is the same, but my local stations appear to be very poor. This experience has certainly left its mark.
It seems to be a common theme though.

Top Bottom