Hit and run would you......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Not good when they catch your handlebars either when moving :sad:

He hit me in the small of the back and put me on the deck, three weeks off work with deep tissue bruising and almost three weeks before I could lie down, almost three weeks sleeping sat up propped up with cushions.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ouch :sad:

Everyone knows my sorry tale :sad: Not helped by another fall last week when my already battered leg hit some part of the flipping bike again!

Retribution03

If it was someone that was parked properly and was down to my poor riding/judgement then yes I'd try to find the owner and pay for the damage as it's not nice... However if it was some twat that has parked in a cycle lane forcing me into the main road say then it's cya don't wanna be ya :hello:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The last time I came back to find that somebody had knocked a wing mirror off my parked van , it cost me £120 to get it repaired. It wasn't even a mirror that I could adjust from inside, and the garage was not anything like a main dealer. Lord knows what it costs on a £30,000 4x4.
A while later, I reversed into a GWizz getting out of a parking space. It was parked two feet out from the curb and was completely invisible in the door mirrors. There was no obvious damage but it was dark. I left a note with contact details. We spoke on the phone but he never took it further. Just as well because my insurance people would have stiffed me under their "admitting liability" weasel clause. I would like to think that I would do the decent thing on a bike too, but who knows?

vickster

Legendary Member
surely it's fairly simple to not clip someone's wing mirror... riding in the door zone is one thing... riding in the wing mirror zone :wacko:
I clipped a wing mirror while trying to avoid a crv or similar that was partly blocking the cycle lane while in a queue of traffic. She apologised to me, I apologised as I thought I could squeeze through but flat bars can be wider than expected. I think I caught one filtering too one time, no damage, but they do make a din!

Hitting the wing mirror of a parked car is pretty inept (or impressive depending on your viewpoint!)

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
The last time I came back to find that somebody had knocked a wing mirror off my parked van , it cost me £120 to get it repaired. It wasn't even a mirror that I could adjust from inside, and the garage was not anything like a main dealer. Lord knows what it costs on a £30,000 ****panzer.

My mates Kia cost £320 for the wing mirror with indicators in, puts mirror to mirror contact in to perspective as I've never known anyone to stop their car in that situation. I drive country lanes a lot so have seen it often. For some reason my Focus was a magnet for it when parked outside the house, I must have lost 3 or 4 of the things, never a message left. When my bar was clipped at 30 down Shooters Hill the driver never stopped, fortunately I stayed on even though it was hard enough to fold their mirror in. Don't think it broke it unfortunately.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've never damaged one while riding but driving i must have clipped many! They should fold them in if possible,if they cant then they should park facing the oncoming traffic to let the case rather than the mirror take any impact.
I was out walking last winter when i came across a car completely parked on the pavement apart from a just about squeezable 1 foot gap. I decided to teach the owner a lesson so i pushed the mirror forward but it came away in my hand(it must've been loose from a previous encounter). I left it hanging by its wires and walked quickly by!:whistle:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I try to break as many wing mirrors as possible.
I'm up to about 158 to date, with the last one this morning.
Whilst admirable I am struck by the contradiction of these actions. I love smacking wing mirrors off as much as the next person but....what if the driver of the car actually uses them? Far fetched but it has been known to happen. Then, what if you get injured because a driver wasn't able to use their wing mirror because you had broken it the night before? Who would you blame? (Personally I'd blame the driver and get them done for driving with an unroadwortyhy car (Yeah, right.Good luck with that) and keep shtum, but I'm a git).
What would you do??? And have you thought of the children??? WELL,HAVE YOU!!!

Cyclopathic

Veteran
[QUOTE="w00hoo_kent, post: 3225494, member: 36674"My mates Ki]a cost £320 for the wing mirror with indicators in, puts mirror to mirror contact in to perspective as I've never known anyone to stop their car in that situation. I drive country lanes a lot so have seen it often. For some reason my Focus was a magnet for it when parked outside the house, I must have lost 3 or 4 of the things, never a message left. When my bar was clipped at 30 down Shooters Hill the driver never stopped, fortunately I stayed on even though it was hard enough to fold their mirror in. Don't think it broke it unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

My last car cost less than that, including indicators on all four corners. (True story)

Top Bottom