hit and run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How's it going ? @Crankarm

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Two weeks since it happenned & he's not been back much since.
Sod the bike, I hope he's okay.

Quite so.

Crankarm is almost certainly fine, but it is slightly bad form on his part not to have come back because he knows there was a lot of concern expressed for his welfare.

classic33

Leg End Member
Quite so.

Crankarm is almost certainly fine, but it is slightly bad form on his part not to have come back because he knows there was a lot of concern expressed for his welfare.
If that was it, Bad Form, it wouldn't be as bad. I just think he was hurt more than he thought at the time & not able to answer.
Other than that, he took the advice given with regards buying a lottery ticket & was the only winner!!

Last edited:
Having just come back from holiday, and residing in Cambridge, I've now caught up with the news.
Was sorry to read about Crankarm so I thought I would do a sweep of my area and found 2 possible suspects, both silver hatchbacks. 1 with it's nose in a hedge and the other with a tarp over the bonnet and wheely bins in front.
It then occurred to me (possible stupid idea?) that we need to mobilise ourselves as a cycling community on hearing of H&R to search our own areas to identify these cretins. With good organisation each area could be broken down into segments to be covered quickly. We are in a war, whether we like it or not, not with the motorist but with apathetic politicians. We have various orgs, CTC, BC, RTTC, London cycle campaign, etc. If they could get their heads together and agree a strategy to support the Police by bringing these dangerous drivers to court then people like Crankarm will get some sort of justice.
Meanwhile, I will investigate those 2 vehicles. :eek:

classic33

Leg End Member
Have you passed the information over to the police as they requested?
"PC Kim Marshall said: “I would like to speak to anyone with information about this collision and would particularly appeal for the motorist involved to come forward.”
Anyone with information should contact PC Marshall at the roads policing unit on 101."

If we pass any information we may be able to get on incidents like these to the police, maybe we as cyclists will get better treatment from the police. As opposed to taking matters into our own hands.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Having just come back from holiday, and residing in Cambridge, I've now caught up with the news.
Was sorry to read about Crankarm so I thought I would do a sweep of my area and found 2 possible suspects, both silver hatchbacks. 1 with it's nose in a hedge and the other with a tarp over the bonnet and wheely bins in front.
It then occurred to me (possible stupid idea?) that we need to mobilise ourselves as a cycling community on hearing of H&R to search our own areas to identify these cretins. With good organisation each area could be broken down into segments to be covered quickly. We are in a war, whether we like it or not, not with the motorist but with apathetic politicians. We have various orgs, CTC, BC, RTTC, London cycle campaign, etc. If they could get their heads together and agree a strategy to support the Police by bringing these dangerous drivers to court then people like Crankarm will get some sort of justice.

Good stuff Joe- Don't know about you, but I'm getting more militant and anti moton with each passing year. I thought I would mellow with age! Lets get the scum punished. Really hope Cranks is OK.

benb

Evidence based cyclist

Nice one - definitely pass that onto the police if you can.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Dear All,

I collected my bike from one bike shop in Cambridge today only to take it to another. The first has said the frame is definately twisted so write off. They will now formalise this in writing so I can make a claim to the MIB if this is possible. The 2nd bike shop is going to check out the frame as well. The rear wheel, hand built, is pretty bent and snapped in two which makes me thank my lucky stars my rear panniers were on my bike, full of clothes and other useless stuff I carry around to take a lot of the impact and for me to land on.

Me myself, not too bad. Upper back, neck and shoulder still hurt. I only take pain killers when the pain is acute as regular use of pain killers messes up your liver. Neck was really stiff this morning. Anyway I am alive which is good. WIll try and sort out some physio soon, hopefully the same therapist as before when I was knocked down in jan 2011. She was brilliant.

I contacted the police last week as I hadn't heard anything for a bit and to update PC Marshal on my injuries, but I was told the case is now closed which was a bit of a shock! I realise the police now have limited time and resources to spend on each crime but this is nevertheless rather alarming when there is some one driving around who is either so bad or deliberately knocks cyclists down, is either drinking and driving or driving uninsured or disqualified, or something to hide, injures some one, drives off leaving them for dead and the police close the case pretty sharpish. Whilst they were good on the night it happened and I appreciate the traffic officers are unlikely to be the ones to have made this decision it is very disappointing and doesn't exactly fill you with confidence that they will do everything to find the vehicle and driver. I am sure CCTV some where will have recorded this vehicle passing shortly before or after it struck me. A local garage has more than likely been used to repair the vehicle. It did have a leaking coolant system after it hit me so it couldn't have got very far and certainly not the next day by which time most of the coolant would likely have drained out meaning if driven the engine would soon over heat. Plus damage to the front of the car - air dam, bumper, number plate. Some one must know something.

Thanks for all the warm wishes. I am ok.

buggi

Bird Saviour
bloody hell, only just seen this. Hope you feel better soon mate. 3 people at my work have been victim of hit and run recently. Lowest scum of the earth. An impact hard enough to cause leaking coolant surely would set the airbag off? They must have took it to garage for that? Maybe is cyclists should set up our own investigation unit? As well as what joe90v says!!

classic33

Leg End Member
Dear All,

I collected my bike from one bike shop in Cambridge today only to take it to another. The first has said the frame is definately twisted so write off. They will now formalise this in writing so I can make a claim to the MIB if this is possible. The 2nd bike shop is going to check out the frame as well. The rear wheel, hand built, is pretty bent and snapped in two which makes me thank my lucky stars my rear panniers were on my bike, full of clothes and other useless stuff I carry around to take a lot of the impact and for me to land on.

Me myself, not too bad. Upper back, neck and shoulder still hurt. I only take pain killers when the pain is acute as regular use of pain killers messes up your liver. Neck was really stiff this morning. Anyway I am alive which is good. WIll try and sort out some physio soon, hopefully the same therapist as before when I was knocked down in jan 2011. She was brilliant.

I contacted the police last week as I hadn't heard anything for a bit and to update PC Marshal on my injuries, but I was told the case is now closed which was a bit of a shock! I realise the police now have limited time and resources to spend on each crime but this is nevertheless rather alarming when there is some one driving around who is either so bad or deliberately knocks cyclists down, is either drinking and driving or driving uninsured or disqualified, or something to hide, injures some one, drives off leaving them for dead and the police close the case pretty sharpish. Whilst they were good on the night it happened and I appreciate the traffic officers are unlikely to be the ones to have made this decision it is very disappointing and doesn't exactly fill you with confidence that they will do everything to find the vehicle and driver. I am sure CCTV some where will have recorded this vehicle passing shortly before or after it struck me. A local garage has more than likely been used to repair the vehicle. It did have a leaking coolant system after it hit me so it couldn't have got very far and certainly not the next day by which time most of the coolant would likely have drained out meaning if driven the engine would soon over heat. Plus damage to the front of the car - air dam, bumper, number plate. Some one must know something.

Thanks for all the warm wishes. I am ok.
At least thats that mystery sorted. If you read back a few posts, there might be a lead on the vehicle.
Have you taken the bike to the second shop yet? If not get in touch with the MIB & tell them that the bikeshop have classed it as write-off. You may not need to take it to the second shop, especially if the first is going to put it writing for you.
You've had antipodean, @avalon in particular, posters asking after you over this.
I'll repeat what I said two weeks ago, sod the bike & make sure you're okay. I would if you are still feeling sore seek medical advice. Given the speed involved & the distance you travelled. And the fact that you are still sore

Over two weeks & nothing from you. Get yourself checked, partly because it'll be needed for the MIB form, in the same way as the quotes for the damage to the bike.

As for the side effects of the painkillers, add them here http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/side-effects-of-medecine.141982/

Do you know if the incident was reported as a collision? And if it was do you have the Collision Log Number?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Thanks for the update @Crankarm.

I'm not entirely surprised that you still ache - after a severe incident like this it'll take time for the muscular damage to heal; My cousin ended up out of action for 8 weeks after being knocked off in a slower speed impact. This is someone who was back at work the day after being kicked by a horse and having arm and ribs broken so she really doesn't take time off without good reason.

I too am disappointed at the police closing the case so quickly,especially given the nature of the incident. Do you know what efforts they've made to trace the car?

Keep us posted.

BSRU

A Human Being
Disappointing actions of the police, especially when you consider today in the papers it states the police spent a year investigating the theft of a violin(worth £1.2m) from a very careless owner.

Top Bottom