Hit by a van!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaleB

Cycling into Manchester everyday i knew it was only a matter of time, 'i had my first accident today'.

Now i haven't got a helmet cam (and at times like these they'll come into their own) but i'll do my best to explain... I'm ok (a little shaken) so that's the main thing!

I approached this roundabout here in primary (entering from cambridge st, exiting cambridge st, and intending to turn right onto chester st)... As i was waiting to enter the roundabout a white van pulled up behind me - giving me plenty of room at this point (so he saw me!!).

I then pulled out and proceeded around the roundabout and indicated highly and brightly (i was also wearing a high-vis) my intention to come off (the van driver had followed me all the way around).

Immediately afterwards (looking behind me at all times) i clearly signaled right (nice and high signal) and the van driver was still giving me loads of space... Then as an oncoming car was there i stopped center line waiting to turn right!

A second later i hear 'screeching tyres' and as i look behind the van driver smacks into the back of me (hitting my wheel full on) and i'm pushed a couple of meters - with what felt like a lot of force :ohmy:!

I'm that shocked - i stare at him (evils mainly :o) and pull across to the right (now it mas clear), and he did one!!! ;)

NOW: either he didn't see me (although he followed me for most of the way), or as it's been raining he misjudged it his stopping!

Either way i'm well shaken up and would also like to know how i check my wheel is ok - as it looks ok but how can i be sure?!?!?

peteoc

first of all, did you get his reg? If so then report them to the police for failing to stop at the scene of an accident!!

The wheel should be easy to check, firstly spin it and check if it's buckled by the distance between the rim and the brakes. Secondly simply check the rim for any cracks or dents.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
First of all, Dale glad you're OK! Please report this to the Police...It's a non stop RTC. Make sure you raise an incident and try and get them to check CCTV.
Give your wheel a spin if it runs true it's probably OK, any doubts take it to the local bike shop for a check.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Deffo reg.

If the wheel is running true, then it will be OK - i.e.no side to side movement, or up and down (egg shape). You are near Bike Boutique there - pop it in - behind MMU's Student's Union, next to the Sugden Sports Centre.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Yikes - glad to hear you're okay! Sounds like a knobber of a driver.

As a bit of an aside... are you technically allowed to ride that roundabout, it is marked as motorway (A57(M)) isn't it? I've never been sure about Mancunian Way - signage is blue (indicating motorway) but it's an A road!!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Sh4rkyBloke said:
Yikes - glad to hear you're okay! Sounds like a knobber of a driver.

As a bit of an aside... are you technically allowed to ride that roundabout, it is marked as motorway (A57(M)) isn't it? I've never been sure about Mancunian Way - signage is blue (indicating motorway) but it's an A road!!

I dont think you are meant to take bikes on there no. But an easy mistake to make Im sure we've all ended up on a road we arent meant to be one at some point.

Shame to hear about this, the driver was a cock for not stopping, even if you werent meant to be there (which Im not sure if you are or are not).

If you dont have his reg still report it, there are tonnes of white vans and most likely nothing will come of it, but worth a shot.

OP
OP
DaleB

DaleB

Thanks everyone, my wheel seems OK :ohmy:

Unfortunately as this was my first incident - and i was so shocked (still am) - i didn't think to get the REG and this is the disadvantage of not having a helmet cam!!!

I just hope my trip home isn't as bad - and my bike doesn't break during Manchester - Blackpool on Sunday ;)

(I think it's more shocking as i did everything i could and in the end i was just stood there with a van skidding towards me)

- Possibly he was looking to see if his exit was clear and missed my signal - but it was high and long! And then didn't expect me to stop, but he should of left enough stopping distance (which after the space he gave me initially i don't know what changed)? :ohmy:

Tynan

Veteran
not sure I'd stop in primary to turn right, I'd want to at least move over to signify a right turn befoore stopping

that doesn;t excsue the driver btw

rh100

Anything which has an M and blue signage is to be treated as a motorway i.e. no bikes/peds etc. I'm not sure how the RAB would be treated though, but from the map it appears to be part of the M road.

That said, no excuse for a drive off, and I'm glad you are ok.

OP
OP
DaleB

DaleB

Rob3rt said:
I dont think you are meant to take bikes on there no. But an easy mistake to make.

Shame to hear about this, the driver was a cock for not stopping, even if you werent meant to be there (which Im not sure if you are or are not).

If you dont have his reg still report it, there are tonnes of white vans and most likely nothing will come of it, but worth a shot.

This is under the Mway, i've not noticed any motorway signs; from the Uni tower block it looks normal also... I've taken a picture (when i get home i'll upload it)!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I see, I see what you mean now, I google earthed it, much clearer on google earth than map view!

Where are you cycling to and from (dont need to know your adress, just roughtly what area). Someone may be able to suggest a safer route.

ramses

Glad you're ok!!

I signed up to this site where you can report bad driving and ask for the report to be sent to the police. Give it a go, and put this incident in.

http://www.stop-smidsy.org.uk/

Even if you don't use the site, you should report it to the police.

Hope the bike is ok too.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The op is riding north. As said that rab is fine for cyclists. Cambridge St is one of the recommended cycle routes as its relatively quiet

small fish

Glad you are all right - sounds like bad luck - slippery road and a dozy driver rather than anything you could have avoided.

I do that same route every day - you need to go fast, be confident and hold a strong primary as you leave the roundabout and as two lanes merge immediately into one look over both shoulders whilst signalling left to exit the roundabout then right to go down chester street - whilst braking at the same time... it's a technical challenge!!
(I've come close to rear ending a right turning car a couple of times after leaving the roundabout too quick!)

There is always the subway - or cut through the Uni and come down Oxford Road - But given the choice of Busses on Oxford Road, Junkies in the subway, or a roundabout thats usually OK - i tend to go round!

Top Bottom