Hit by car. No injuries poss slight damage to bike. What to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran
Bikes are fairly tough. My MTB made a mess of the car that hit me 5 years ago.

Glad it was all sorted. I know exactly where the accident was and its a well signposted cycle route (no cycle lane but signs up showing that cycles use the road).

As for the driver :eek:

Yeah the guy was a prize muppet. At least he apologised and showed concern for my well being. I'm really happy to be in one piece. What happened with the MTB, did you go into the front of it?

Any slight wrinkles in the paintwork, Especially on the down & top tubes, behind the head tube.

I've not checked the frame in daylight, but I'll have a good look tomorrow. If it's steel with a baked on paint will it still wrinkle?

classic33

Leg End Member
I've not checked the frame in daylight, but I'll have a good look tomorrow. If it's steel with a baked on paint will it still wrinkle?
Can do, all depends on how hard it was hit. Feel down the underside of the downtube & see if you can feel anything that seems out of place. Does the front wheel still turn ok, when you turn it from side to side with the handlebars? Do it slowly, with the wheel off the ground. No grating sound or feel when you're doing this?
You find damage, get photographs taken of it.

OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran
Ok I'll have a really good look at the frame this evening. It looks in pretty good shape from my quick inspection this morning. The car clipped the front wheel and the bike got rotated 90 degrees underneath me (if that makes sense?)
I've uploaded a video of the collision. I've set it to private. If anyone would like to see it, please PM me.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Send me the vid link. Ill have a ganders. As for the MTB I was hit by a car on a roundabout. It hit me side on at about 30 mph. The MTB had nothing more than scratches. The car was missing a wing mirror and had a big dent in the bonnet and wing from my bar ends. Shame it knackered my shoulder (now fixed after surgery)

potsy

Rambler
Not surprised you are shaken up Schneil, certainly a lucky escape there, glad you came out in one piece.
Sounds like a decent lbs too :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran
Send me the vid link. Ill have a ganders. As for the MTB I was hit by a car on a roundabout. It hit me side on at about 30 mph. The MTB had nothing more than scratches. The car was missing a wing mirror and had a big dent in the bonnet and wing from my bar ends. Shame it knackered my shoulder (now fixed after surgery)

Ouch! Sounds like your shoulder took the impact, not the bike. And shoulders are easy to knack up! Glad it's all sorted though now, it took a while though didn't it?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ouch! Sounds like your shoulder took the impact, not the bike. And shoulders are easy to knack up! Glad it's all sorted though now, it took a while though didn't it?

4 years to get it sorted. Fine now although got 'other' problems :blush: that are stopping long rides - that should be fixed next month :thumbsup: !

Just seen the video, blimey - you'd even stopped, but I can't believe his driving. You were lucky. Must say you were very calm about it. I've got a bit of a temper !

classic33

Leg End Member
You sound a lot calmer than I was when I got hit. I was waiting for the mounting of the bonnet, by yourself seeing the line he was taking.
Can I ask, any idea where he expected you to be going?

Bloody hell, that was scary, I dunno what on earth the driver was doing, he looked pretty shaken too, he kept putting his hand on his heart, presumably to make it slow down. I think that was the calmest RTC I've ever seen.

classic33

Leg End Member
Driver appears to be holding a mobile phone at 12 seconds in. Just prior to impact.
And a green P on the back as well.

'Assuming its as you say, the car that is, considering the drivers reaction I'd be thinking theres something the driver doesn't want knowing.' Not necessarily. One of the guys at our place managed to damage several vehicles (as well as his own) on quite a few occasions. Particularly in the winter. The MD preferred to pay for repairs without going through the insurers as it would have affected the insurance premium considerably.

OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran
Not surprised you are shaken up Schneil, certainly a lucky escape there, glad you came out in one piece.
Sounds like a decent lbs too :thumbsup:

Yeah I set off post collision and felt really "white" so I went to a friends place for a sit down and cup of tea. A shot of adrenalin is not nice

Top Bottom