Hit by car. No injuries poss slight damage to bike. What to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran
Driver appears to be holding a mobile phone at 12 seconds in. Just prior to impact.
And a green P on the back as well.

He held his left hand up to say sorry prior to impact. Why he didn't stop then, or keep both hands on the wheel baffles me. I didn't see a mobile phone at the time, but I'll review the freeze frames on the original vid.

OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran
Bloody hell, that was scary, I dunno what on earth the driver was doing, he looked pretty shaken too, he kept putting his hand on his heart, presumably to make it slow down. I think that was the calmest RTC I've ever seen.

I was a bit shaken so I sat down. I had to pull myself together. No point shouting at the guy, he knew he'd f**ked up good and proper. If he'd been an arse about it, I wouldn't have been so polite.

Leodis

Veteran
Seems he lost control and you are lucky he didnt totally wipe you out. Deffo take it further, if you leave it and it turns out he has done worse...

classic33

Leg End Member
He held his left hand up to say sorry prior to impact. Why he didn't stop then, or keep both hands on the wheel baffles me. I didn't see a mobile phone at the time, but I'll review the freeze frames on the original vid.
If you look at his left hand as he's passing the silver car you'll see he's holding something, Black for the main part but with silver/light grey down either side. Similiar to a Samsung B12, just different colours.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Should I report the accident to his insurers (but say I am not making a claim yet)?

Someone who doesn't want to handle the claim via his insurers because it might increase his premiums isn't worth trusting. Come renewal time he has to tell them, whether a claim arises from it or not.

There might be a more polite way to put this but... f*ck his premium, alert his insurers. If he doesn't tell his insurers at renewal and hits someone else, his next victim might find there's no insurance to claim against because the company has voided it for failing to disclose.

Trust nobody!

GC

OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran
Someone who doesn't want to handle the claim via his insurers because it might increase his premiums isn't worth trusting. Come renewal time he has to tell them, whether a claim arises from it or not.

There might be a more polite way to put this but... f*ck his premium, alert his insurers. If he doesn't tell his insurers at renewal and hits someone else, his next victim might find there's no insurance to claim against because the company has voided it for failing to disclose.

Trust nobody!

GC

The driver at least is insured. I phoned his insurance company
I've reported the collision - he hasn't (grr!!).
I told them that I was making the call purely to cover myself, the driver of the car that collided with me and his insurers.
I said that I had suffered no injuries that I was aware of. I explained the driver had admitted full liability at the scene.
I said that I still needed to thoroughly examine the bike for damage. I mentioned the front wheel needed trueing as it was the point of impact with the driver's car.
I told them that I was not looking to make a claim, as if there were any expenses incurred my side, the driver had offered to pay from his own pocket.

His insurers said they'd contact the driver to verify the collision, took my details and gave me a reference number.

classic33

Leg End Member
The driver at least is insured. I phoned his insurance company
I've reported the collision - he hasn't (grr!!).
I told them that I was making the call purely to cover myself, the driver of the car that collided with me and his insurers.
I said that I had suffered no injuries that I was aware of. I explained the driver had admitted full liability at the scene.
I said that I still needed to thoroughly examine the bike for damage. I mentioned the front wheel needed trueing as it was the point of impact with the driver's car.
I told them that I was not looking to make a claim, as if there were any expenses incurred my side, the driver had offered to pay from his own pocket.

His insurers said they'd contact the driver to verify the collision, took my details and gave me a reference number.
Don't mention the camera footage, the driver may yet say it never happenned or otherwise change his story.

OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran
Nope not mentioned camera footage.
They asked if there were any independant witnesses, I said no, but if I had to prove the collision happened I would.

OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran
Any slight wrinkles in the paintwork, Especially on the down & top tubes, behind the head tube.

I had a look at the frame looks straight to me. It rides fine and I cant feel any ripples or wrinkles on the downtube.
BUT
There are some deep scratches on the front fork on the right hand side. I don't remember the scratches being there when I cleaned the bike last Saturday.
The scratches would be consistent with the fork scraping hard down the side of something.
I'm wondering if it was from impact with the car? The wheeltrim did come off the car and there were scratches on it's bumper.

Is it worth getting a quote to have the forks resprayed? It's a steel frame in a custom colour. I don't want rust!

classic33

Leg End Member
I had a look at the frame looks straight to me. It rides fine and I cant feel any ripples or wrinkles on the downtube.
BUT
There are some deep scratches on the front fork on the right hand side. I don't remember the scratches being there when I cleaned the bike last Saturday.
The scratches would be consistent with the fork scraping hard down the side of something.
I'm wondering if it was from impact with the car? The wheeltrim did come off the car and there were scratches on it's bumper.

Is it worth getting a quote to have the forks resprayed? It's a steel frame in a custom colour. I don't want rust!
So now you have damage to the bike, minor, but if its a custom colour its going to be harder than a standard colour to match. Check with where you got the bike sprayed & where you took the bike to get it checked & get quotes for respraying the forks. That would be two quotes.
Be prepard to have the whole frame done. Resprays themselves are cheap enough, its the time taken in stripping & rebuilding the actual bike that'll push up any cost.

Does it match roughly the height of the wheel trim which came of the car. Can you by any chance get back to where it happenned & see if the wheel trim is lying around still?
Photograph the damage, using a tape measure to which you have taped a small object, whose size cannot be denied. That last part I found out 3 years into mine.

See http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/incidents-and-outcomes.67755/#post-1260853

OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran
So now you have damage to the bike, minor, but if its a custom colour its going to be harder than a standard colour to match. Check with where you got the bike sprayed & where you took the bike to get it checked & get quotes for respraying the forks. That would be two quotes.
Be prepard to have the whole frame done. Resprays themselves are cheap enough, its the time taken in stripping & rebuilding the actual bike that'll push up any cost.

Does it match roughly the height of the wheel trim which came of the car. Can you by any chance get back to where it happenned & see if the wheel trim is lying around still?
Photograph the damage, using a tape measure to which you have taped a small object, whose size cannot be denied. That last part I found out 3 years into mine.

See http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/incidents-and-outcomes.67755/#post-1260853

I went back to the scene and I couldn't see the wheeltrim, but it was dark.
The colour is custom in that when i got the bike built at Will's, he sent the frame off and it was sprayed to a colour of my choice.
I'm hoping the painter still has that colour "on the shelf"
From what Will said, the frame is first sprayed and then baked afterwards. So he couldn't give me any touch up paint. It looks great in the flesh, but never photographs well.
The scratches feel "fresh" and they looked quite deep. There are no deep scratches on the other side of the forks.
Reviewing the video, the right side of the forks would have scraped the car as it went past, so it matches up. I'll have another look at the frame tomorrow and see if anywhere else would have been scraped by the car.

Will can sort the re spray out, just ask for a quote. Will it t-cut out ?

I don't think it will, the scratches look pretty deep. I can feel the edges of them. I'll ask my lodger when I see him, he used to be a panel beater.
But yes I'll ring up Will tomorrow and ask for a quote. He'll know if the colour is still available and if it will match.
Ooooh what a pain. I'm glad I spoke to the guys insurers now, at least I'm covered.

Top Bottom