Hit by car. No injuries poss slight damage to bike. What to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Schneil

Veteran
Hi all

I was involved in a collision with a car tonight. Car drives towards me on wrong side of road. I brake, but driver does not stop in time. Car swerves, clips my front wheel then stops before nearly mounting kerb.

I am uninjured, but very very shook up. Driver admitted fault straight away. My front wheel is out of true. Frame to my untrained eye looks straight and I rode home.

I have the drivers details (name, address, phone number). I have reg number and details of the car.
I have the collision on helmet camera.

Should I report this incident to the police? Driver did not seem in full control of car. Driver is keen for me not to make a claim on his insurance and will pay out of pocket. Should I report the accident to his insurers (but say I am not making a claim yet)?

Please help. Right now I feel like I have lost one of my 9 lives. Vike's statement to follow.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Report the incident just so you have a log at least with the police. As for the rest, get the bike checked out. Was this your Wills Wheels commuter ?

Just make sure you arent injured. If there is any damage get a quote. The driver may change their mind if they see the cost so be prepared to get a solicitor. Write down what happened and save a few copies of the video.

classic33

Leg End Member
Report it & get yourself checked.
Get a written record down on paper. At this stage its not important if you're the only one who can understand what you are writing. You'll put it all down later, when you're certain you have everything there.
This copy will be in order of occurence. Who did what, where & when.
You say you caught the incident on helmet camera. Use that to confirm what you have put down on paper. DO NOT be tempted to edit the video in any way. You might even consider with holding that piece of information from his insurers at this time.
Seek qualified legal advice, used to working for cyclists. I learnt that bit the hard way. I used RJW through the CTC.
Others on her may be along to give other names.

Given the drivers reaction, have you tried checking the vehicle registration & tax/VED details?
https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/enquiry?execution=e2s1

classic33

Leg End Member
I shall merely say that fossyant and classic33 have given wise advice.

You'll be surprised how drivers' attitudes change when the find out that bike bits don't cost tuppence.

Personally, I;d have called the Old Bill at the time. Your description makes me think drink/drug or texting driver.
Possible that the car may not be taxed/insured or some other problem which is why I included the DVLA link.
I learnt the hard way what I'm now telling others. The only bit I missed was don't expect it to be quick or easy to get sorted out.

OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran
Report the incident just so you have a log at least with the police. As for the rest, get the bike checked out. Was this your Wills Wheels commuter ?

Just make sure you arent injured. If there is any damage get a quote. The driver may change their mind if they see the cost so be prepared to get a solicitor. Write down what happened and save a few copies of the video.

Hi Fossy
Yeah it was the Wills Wheels audaxer. It's a mavic open pro rim and 105 hub. There are no popped spokes, but the rim now sl. rubs the front brake. The frame and forks are steel, so at least I don't have to worry about cracked carbon.
I'll see Will ASAP.
I'm uninjured physically, just very shaken :sad:

classic33

Leg End Member
Don't ride the bike again until you get it checked. Insurance may require that the bike be checked for damage that was only caused in the incident. Also riding the same bike may have them saying there can't have been anything wrong, you're exaggerating your claim. I'd had that said to me & being able to say that it was still at the LBS awaiting collection kinda knocked some of the wind out of their sails.

OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran
Don't ride the bike again until you get it checked. Insurance may require that the bike be checked for damage that was only caused in the incident. Also riding the same bike may have them saying there can't have been anything wrong, you're exaggerating your claim. I'd had that said to me & being able to say that it was still at the LBS awaiting collection kinda knocked some of the wind out of their sails.

Ok I rode the bike home, that was all. I've rung the police and got an "information only" log number for now. If the driver does not play ball with repair costs or insurance details I can contact the police. What a hassle!

OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran
Possible that the car may not be taxed/insured or some other problem which is why I included the DVLA link.
I learnt the hard way what I'm now telling others. The only bit I missed was don't expect it to be quick or easy to get sorted out.

The car is insured and taxed so one less worry. Lets hope the driver is legit as well.

classic33

Leg End Member
Ok I rode the bike home, that was all. I've rung the police and got an "information only" log number for now. If the driver does not play ball with repair costs or insurance details I can contact the police. What a hassle!
Assuming its as you say, the car that is, considering the drivers reaction I'd be thinking theres something the driver doesn't want knowing. I'd go along with what User has said.
Do you know if an collision log was created by the police, this will have its own seperate number. Found out about that over 6 months later. No collision log created, therefore no collision. Despite the police attending a 999 call.
Get what you have down on paper. As I said for this part it doesn't matter if your the only one who can understand it & it doesn't have to be in order either. I had L/R/Slowup-Down/Him/Me? on the origional. Put into words what that meant at when putting everything in order for my working copy.
Include the time of the incident, the time you called the police & on what number. If possible the name of the person you spoke to. Not always forthcoming with this bit of information. Put all this at the top of your working copy. Makes it easier find in a hurry.
"Working copy" by the way is my way of saying, once you're happy that you have everything down & in the correct order, you print a copy off, dated of course, and work from that. It makes it easier for you, as you then are telling the same, to everyone.
Photocopy/scan all receipts. Ink fades & the thermal printed ones can blacken in minutes.

I didn't have a camera & I'd be tempted to leave that part out if you contact his insurers. Dropping it in at a later stage, when the driver realises just how much bikes actually cost & changes his plea. Stick to your guns & don't be put off if the driver does change his story more than once.

We could really do with a thread on what to do in this type of situation. One that anyone can come along, check what they've done & check what else may still require doing. MIB Untraceable driver & Uninsured Vehicle forms require two quotes for any repair work.

OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran
I am making this statement about an incident that occurred at appx 5:45 pm on the 7th August 2013 on O****d Place, Manchester, involving a pedal cycle and a red ***** *****. In this account I will mention one person and a Red ******** with the index number **51****. I have been cycling for 5 years as commuter and consider myself to be a experienced cyclist. I am a qualified ride leader. I also hold a full car licence and have done so for 16 years. I consider myself to be an experienced driver. The first person I will mention is **** ***** South Asian ethnicity, male 30-40 years old, greying black hair, appx 5'11". This person I will refer to as “the driver” was driving a Red ****** ******* . This incident took place on O***** Place, Manchester between the junctions of L**** **** Road and U***** **** Road . I would describe this as road as wide residential street. There was a car parked on my side, however I stopped before the car and the roads was wide enough for both myself and the driver to pass on opposite sides of the road. A copy of the video of the incident was taken with my Contour Roam helmet mounted camera. At the time of the incident the weather was sunny and dry. I was wearing a bright yellow cycle jersey.

At appx 5:45pm on the 7th August 2013 I was cycling home along the ****** Place in the direction of U***** B**** Street. The red ******* was being driven in the opposite direction on the wrong (my) side of the road. I immediately stopped as soon as I saw the car, the car did not stop and instead continued towards me and swerved (kerbwards, my side) at the last second. The swerve caused the car not to hit me head on, but instead hit my font wheel and carried on past me, coming to a rest scraping the drivers side wheel against the kerb (on my side). The front bumper of the car and the passenger side wheel hit my bike with a glancing blow. I was not thrown off the bike as I had stopped and had my foot on the floor, however bike was spun to one side with the impact. The driver immediately got out of the car apologised and admitted fault. He has given me his name, address and phone number. He has not provided me with his full insurance details as of yet, just the name of his company. He is keen for me not to pursue a claim as he has only been driving for 4months and was concerned of the effect on his premium. He said he thought the road was one way. He said he had just been to hospital and flashed his appointment card at me. He did not seem in full control of his car or aware of his surroundings before he hit me. My bike has at least a damaged front wheel. The drivers car has at least scratches to it's front bumper and lost a wheel trim.

I do not feel the driver was in full control of the car as he:
Did not appear to brake or emergency stop as soon as he saw me.
He instead held up his hand as if to say "sorry"
Swerved the car to avoid me but instead went further towards my side of the road.
I only heard the tyres screech as the car clipped the kerb.

At the time of the incident visibility was excellent, I was no more than 1 metre from the offender and there were no obstructions to my view. In total the collision lasted less than 20seconds. I do not know the person, I would recognise them again. I am willing to attend court to give evidence if required.

I reported the collision to the police via the 101 number at approximately 10pm. I was given a log number of ****** 7813 and told to contact them again should the driver not be co-operative.

classic33

Leg End Member
"At the time of the incident visibility was excellent, I was no more than 1 metre from the offender and there were no obstructions to my view. In total the collision lasted less than 20seconds. I do not know the person, I would recognise them again. I am willing to attend court to give evidence if required."
Nit picking here. But that piece in bold, could come back to bite you as written. It can be read as though no contact was made and as a result you're contradicting yourself. You make it sound as though you didn't do enough to avoid it. The car is king on the road remember. Ford Focus or otherwise.

You might want to keep a written log. What you did, who phoned who, when, what number was used especially if they contact you, leaving a number. Who you spoke to. Try and get names if possible. What were road & weather conditions like. Were lights fitted & in use at the time. Some people ride with their rear light on at all times so its not as odd as it sounds.
I was a hell of a lot more clinical factwise than you are. You mention that you are also a driver would you be able to give a closing speed for the pair of you before the impact & at the time of impact? I don't drive but impact speed in my case I put at less than the driver. Less than 10mph, low speed impact.

See if there is any CCTV footage for the area in which it took place. They may have him on the same side of the road further up. Thus aiding your claim that the car was on the wrong side.

OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran
I dropped the bike in at the shop this morning. They've trued the wheel and the frame and forks are fine. As I'm a good customer, they've not charged me for the work. So I have no claim for damages.
The guy mentioned he was insured with debenhams. Do you think it's worth informing them of the accident, but I'm not wishing to make a claim at this present moment? (in case the bike has hidden damage)
I'm pretty gobsmacked, that the car came off worse. It's missing a hubcap and has scratches to the bumper. I must have a tough bike!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bikes are fairly tough. My MTB made a mess of the car that hit me 5 years ago.

Glad it was all sorted. I know exactly where the accident was and its a well signposted cycle route (no cycle lane but signs up showing that cycles use the road).

As for the driver :eek:

classic33

Leg End Member
Any slight wrinkles in the paintwork, Especially on the down & top tubes, behind the head tube.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I dropped the bike in at the shop this morning. They've trued the wheel and the frame and forks are fine. As I'm a good customer, they've not charged me for the work. So I have no claim for damages.
The guy mentioned he was insured with debenhams. Do you think it's worth informing them of the accident, but I'm not wishing to make a claim at this present moment? (in case the bike has hidden damage)
I'm pretty gobsmacked, that the car came off worse. It's missing a hubcap and has scratches to the bumper. I must have a tough bike!
Still report it. The next cyclist may not be so fortunate.

Top Bottom