Hit (hard) by red light jumper! :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Yesterday afternoon, just after five, I had just left work and was waiting at the lights at the junction of Primrose Street and Bishopsgate. I know the sequence there very well, there is a pedestrian phase and then a side road phase (which I was waiting for) and then the main road phase. Once the pedestrian phase turns to red I begin to get clipped in and by the time my light turns green I am ready to go. Bearing in mind that at this point the lights for straight on along Bishopsgate have been at red for a good two minutes.

As I move out onto Bishopsgate to turn right (south) toward Liverpool Street station I just catch something moving toward me at high speed. A young lad on a road bike (Giant SCR) has just jumped straight through the red light on the north bound carriageway at what must have been a good high twenties or low thirties, sees me, wobbles briefly and smacks straight into my bike, broadside. Thank the lord I was on my very heavy Marin rather than the featherweight Dolan fixie I had been on the day before as it barely budged. The lad somersaulted through the air and cracked his head on the road. Immediately a thick and gloopy bright red puddle of blood emerged and spread out from his head.

Resisting the urge to panic I positioned my bike in front of him to shield him from other traffic and fortunately people began to appear instantly, including a male nurse who immediately took control followed by a policeman who had witnessed the collision from his vehicle behind me on Primrose street. A paramedic on a motorbike quickly arrived followed by an ambulance.

The lad began to come round at this point, what was the first thing he said?
Yep, "Is my bike alright?". I pushed my bike back to the garage at my office building and then came back for his and put that in there too, we somehow managed to exchange mobile numbers as he was getting treated in the back of the ambulance. They then left for the hospital.

On inspection, his bike appears to have sustained no damage, mine is cracked where the carbon wishbone seat stays join the aluminium diamond and also the chain stays are bent writing off the frame. Incidentally, he hit the bike just where the child seat is positioned which kind of made me shudder! Needless to say I didn't have my daughter on the back at the time.

So, not the best start to the weekend really, although it did mean that I got to go to the pub and get totally w@nkered with my workmates instead of coming straight home ;)

And of course I am now in the market for a new frame, I am thinking of a Thorn Club Tour! :smile:

Holy cow! Glad you came out OK and proof positive that RLJ'ing is not just dangerous for those doing it. I must admit, though I hope the lad's OK, I don't have a lot of sympathy. What chance of getting the money off him for the damage then? A Thorn? Do they do tanks as well? Will you get one with butterfly bars or just transfer them off your poor Marin (RIP :smile:) ;)

Phew!

J4CKO

Whoa, bad luck, at least you are ok, sounds like you got hit by a cretin.

Ok I am comparatvely new to this and dont jump red lights, I didnt do it in a 1.5 tonne 250 bhp Saab with a 5 star safety rating and am even less likely to do it when I am not surrounded by metal, in my naivety my stance is that the lights are there for all road users, not just the big ones ? when the lights are the opposite way it lets big and heavy things through across the path of the lights you have jumped, how can that be a good idea ?

I wondered what RLJ'ing was in my first few months whilst lurking on here, it soon became apparent that a proportion of cyclists do it, I dont think we can expect respect and tolerance from other road users whiulst we pull stunts like that, abide by the rules and you will be grudgingly accepted, do that and you are on your own, you lose the bit of sympathy we have for the sake of conserving some momentum, I dont like stopping but sometimes you have to, with a bit of planning you can minimise it.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Not really worried about the money, he was a student of 22 with his school books in a rucksack on his back. I am worried that he may have deteriorated over night as can happen with serious head injuries. He is not answering his phone and has not replied to the text message I've sent yet.

I don't have a problem with red light jumping either but going through any junction at that speed is going to land you in trouble sooner or later even when the lights are green. I'd guess that he was a little excited as it was Friday afternoon and he was probably going out. As it turns out, he had to go to hospital and I got to go out drinking instead! ;) As the policeman told him as h was carried off to the ambulance, "you've learned a hard lesson here this afternoon mate, don't jump red lights". He said "I didn't jump the lights" to which the policeman replied "yes you bloody did, I sat here and watched you great twerp!". He refrained from smacking him round the head though which was kind of him! :smile:

dodgy

Was the RLJer wearing a helmet? Don't worry, not trying to start a helmet debate - I'm firmly in the pro-choice camp.

Dave.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
At least you got the copper's story.....idiot kid...... hard lesson learned of course.

Shame you had to suffer bike damage...hope the night out was good......

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
dodgy said:
Was the RLJer wearing a helmet? Don't worry, not trying to start a helmet debate - I'm firmly in the pro-choice camp.

Dave.

Neither of us were wearing helmets Dodgy. I feel that he would have benefited from one in this particular instance.

He will as a minimum have been kept in overnight and at the weekend may be struggling to find a consultant to sign his release form (happened to me with a cycling head injury, explains a lot you say ;)). In the meantime, his phone may well be off, ran out of power or he just may not be up to answering. I was knocked for 6 for a good few weeks. I wouldn't assume anything just yet.

Ayway you are being very charitable to him. Are you sure you didn't pay him to write off your Marin so you could justify a new bike to the wife?

J4CKO

I can see the helmet debate is personal but the RLJing thing affects others, car drivers will swerve and cause accidents.

Can someone explain how it works, why they do it and what they get from it, I can understand a cheeky nip round a left hander if there is nobody about but doing it in traffic ?

Surely this thread illustrates it perhaps not a great idea, or is it just a case of he was not doing it right ?

Wolf04

J4CKO said:
I can see the helmet debate is personal but the RLJing thing affects others, car drivers will swerve and cause accidents.

Can someone explain how it works, why they do it and what they get from it, I can understand a cheeky nip round a left hander if there is nobody about but doing it in traffic ?

Surely this thread illustrates it perhaps not a great idea, or is it just a case of he was not doing it right ?

Agree entirely. Glad it wasn't more serious Dom. Hope the young lad recovers fully and learns his lesson. Enjoy the Thorn.
Pete

Top Bottom