Hit (hard) by red light jumper! :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
J4CKO said:
Whoa, bad luck, at least you are ok, sounds like you got hit by a cretin.

Ok I am comparatvely new to this and dont jump red lights, I didnt do it in a 1.5 tonne 250 bhp Saab with a 5 star safety rating and am even less likely to do it when I am not surrounded by metal, in my naivety my stance is that the lights are there for all road users, not just the big ones ? when the lights are the opposite way it lets big and heavy things through across the path of the lights you have jumped, how can that be a good idea ?

I wondered what RLJ'ing was in my first few months whilst lurking on here, it soon became apparent that a proportion of cyclists do it, I dont think we can expect respect and tolerance from other road users whiulst we pull stunts like that, abide by the rules and you will be grudgingly accepted, do that and you are on your own, you lose the bit of sympathy we have for the sake of conserving some momentum, I dont like stopping but sometimes you have to, with a bit of planning you can minimise it.

Well said, people should take note!

Glad you were ok dom - don't like the sound of him hitting your bike right where the child seat is....
30mph through a red sounds like a bit of a death wish to me - hope there is no long term damage to the guy and that it's knocked some sense into him

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mr Phoebus said:
A very close call indeed. Myself, I'd have wanted to finish the git off.
Stay lucky.

Same here...... you did well...I'd at least have said..."Chuffin clever that mate...jump them next time and you'll have a size 9 up your arse !"

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The "Is my bike allright" is the stock response - I've done it, and a club mate did it in a road race.

He'd wiped out in front of a few of us....we jumped off...club mate and all, and waited for the ambulance..... "Is my bike OK"... "stuff that...how many fingers am I holding up..!" - this was pre bin lids........just the leather hairnet things........

Keith Oates

Janner
As others have said I hope the guy is OK very soon. As for you Dom, your attitude to the whole thing is to be admired and your choice of the Thorn can't be faulted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy 71

Keith Oates said:
As others have said I hope the guy is OK very soon. As for you Dom, your attitude to the whole thing is to be admired and your choice of the Thorn can't be faulted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you're OK.

I don't wish ill on anyone, and I do hope the other guy makes a speedy recovery, but he was a stupid c**t to RLJ in the first place.

There's enough stupid tw*ts out there willing to run us off the road, without having to worry about being rammed by other cyclists.

I also think you are too charitable - If I had saved my hard-earned money for a decent frame (which would take me a number of years) and an RLJer rammed in to me, there is no way in hell that I would be paying for the damage.

I appreciate the guy was a young student, but he should be mature enough to realise that his actions have consequences, and should be made to face up to them. If you were a real harsh so-and-so (which I sense you are not) and he doesn't have much in the way of hard cash, you should take his bike to sell and use the proceeds to cover your costs.

Also, what it your child HAD been in the rear seat?

If you RLJ, I would like to say thanks - Thanks for all the times motorists cut me up. Thanks for everyone who does the 'quick left turn swipe' on me. Thanks for all those (with a rolled up copy of the Sun on their dashboard) who shout "Get aht of the 'kin road".

Thanks, because their ignorance (which we should be trying to cure!) is only validated by the selfishness of you and your ilk. I wouldn't mind if it was only you who got the hassle (because elements of your behaviour warrant it) but we ALL get it in the neck.

It's a hard world for cyclists out there. You know it, I know it. It's clear that the law enforcement agencies aren't all that interested. So we have to stick together - play by the rules, and bring those to task who don't and endanger us.

Maz

Guru
Ivan Ardon said:
You've still got his bike so you can hold it hostage until he pays for your frame.

Result!
I was thinking the same thing.
Will you be asking the other cyclist to pay towards your new bike, Dom?

Notsoblue

Ouch, glad you weren't hurt Dom. I know that area and theres no way in hell I'd both be going that fast and jump a red light at that time of day. He'll certainly have learned his lesson.

Top Bottom