Hmm, do I want a fixed?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Joe24 said:
700c i think.
The rear is a 700c, but the front is a 26. But because of the back wheel being 700c on sheldons page i used that and did 700x20(i think the tubulars on the bike are about this?)
Oh, and when i work it out on a calculator i have been using 27
The odd thing is it doesnt feel like that gear. When i changed the wheel over on my fixed to 79" from 72 you could really tell the difference. I think its the difference in frame that does it though, the bike just seems to move off so easily, but it cruises at a high speed easily without me really spinning

cruising prowess will be 'cos that back wheel's probably quite heavy, it's got masses of inertia.
it'll seem to move off quick on a TT, 'cos you're accelerating from scratch to a good speed and you can feel the gain in speed very tangibly, but do lots of accelerating in stop start traffic and you'll soon feel it knackering ... wouldn't want to though i 'spose, that's why you've got your breakfast fixed and your evening fixed and your afternoon fixed and your teatime fixed :biggrin:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Big girls blouse :biggrin: 79.1 is where it is at and I am with you on the spinning

Its alright being in that gear, but can you outrun someone in a smaller gear with it?

Joe24

bonj said:
it'll be 'cos that back wheel's probably quite heavy, it's got masses of inertia.
it'll seem to move off quick on a TT, but do lots of accelerating in stop start traffic and you'll soon feel it

Back wheel is pretty light, and stop starting is fine, the ride i do to the TT means i have to stop at traffic lights and i just move off fine.
Its really strange, but i like it:becool:

bonj2

Joe24 said:
The tyres on the TT are skinnier, 20 i think, but if i remember right it doesnt make much difference.
What gear do you have bonj? 48/18 on 700c wheels gives the perfect 72" if i remember right, thats what i ride.

yeah i've got a 48 tooth ring and did have a 19t on but have put an 18t on and just left the 19 on the other side. the steepest hill on my commute is the hill out of kirton and still got up there ok into a massive 20mph headwind today so it's fine, not as if i'm going to be doing any super-grimpeurs on it

Joe24

bonj said:
cruising prowess will be 'cos that back wheel's probably quite heavy, it's got masses of inertia.
it'll seem to move off quick on a TT, 'cos you're accelerating from scratch to a good speed and you can feel the gain in speed very tangibly, but do lots of accelerating in stop start traffic and you'll soon feel it knackering ... wouldn't want to though i 'spose, that's why you've got your breakfast fixed and your evening fixed and your afternoon fixed and your teatime fixed :biggrin:

Oooooh yeh:becool:
Dont you just want as many fixeds as that Bonj;)
Im wanting another one. An old Galaxy that i can put a rack on and it be fixed would be nice, for a touch of class:becool:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Joe24 said:
Its alright being in that gear, but can you outrun someone in a smaller gear with it?

Joe, most people are in smaller gear than me

bonj2

Joe24 said:
Oooooh yeh:becool:
Dont you just want as many fixeds as that Bonj;)
Im wanting another one. An old Galaxy that i can put a rack on and it be fixed would be nice, for a touch of class:becool:

what you want is this fixed
hoeflerside.JPG

:biggrin:

Joe24

Joe, most people are in smaller gear than me

Nope, there used to be 2 people come out with the club that were in a bigger gear then what you are in.
They were both pants with going down a hill, i used to beat them down hills on my 65" gear because they hated spinning fast, or doing what they thought was spinning fast:wacko:

4F

Joe24 said:
Nope, there used to be 2 people come out with the club that were in a bigger gear then what you are in.
They were both pants with going down a hill, i used to beat them down hills on my 65" gear because they hated spinning fast, or doing what they thought was spinning fast:wacko:

Wooosh

Joe24

wooooooosh

Oooh right i get you.
My excuse is im tired, i woke up at 9:40 this morning!!! 9:40 to be greated by some silly high pitched Scottish woman from British Gas wanting to speak to my dad. Why call up then, when most people are at work:angry:

4F

Joe24 said:
Oooh right i get you.
My excuse is im tired, i woke up at 9:40 this morning!!! 9:40 to be greated by some silly high pitched Scottish woman from British Gas wanting to speak to my dad. Why call up then, when most people are at work:angry:

In all seriousness I have hit 36 downhill and think I could eek out a little more

MajorMantra

Joe24 said:
Its build cardiovascular and makes you very supple, i could spin a gear better when i was on 65" then what i can now on 72"
Max speed down a hill on 65" was 68mph, on the 72" its been 68mph aswell. Ive lost suppleness.

Do you perhaps mean km/h? 68mph on a 65" gear would be well north of 300rpm!

Matthew

Top Bottom