Hmm, do I want a fixed?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MajorMantra

Joe24 said:
woops i ment 38. all the gears sizes got me. 38mph is 200rpm.

Ah. That's similar to the max speed I've managed so far on 70". My best is about 185rpm I think. Hitting 40mph is my next goal...

Matthew

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't talk about 200 rpm...that's gonna take me some time to achieve...... the reason my biggest is 68" is that I've got a long 2 mile climb/drag home, so if I can spin the 68 upto 30 mph on the way to work (down the hill), I'll be happy, as the car's slow me down to that, especially with the speed camera....

The 63" is for getting up a number of 1 in 10 plus gradients the other way when I go out training. All on the advice from my LBS who rides his fixed in the area - and he was a National Level Road Racer. If I find it too spinny, I'll change sprockets...

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
fossyant said:
Don't talk about 200 rpm...that's gonna take me some time to achieve...... the reason my biggest is 68" is that I've got a long 2 mile climb/drag home, so if I can spin the 68 upto 30 mph on the way to work (down the hill), I'll be happy, as the car's slow me down to that, especially with the speed camera....

The 63" is for getting up a number of 1 in 10 plus gradients the other way when I go out training. All on the advice from my LBS who rides his fixed in the area - and he was a National Level Road Racer. If I find it too spinny, I'll change sprockets...

Good advice i think.
If i went into Derbyshire i would gear down to about 65", which is what most people i know used when going around there.
You should be able to spin the gear up to 30 easy, it will take some getting used to to keep it at this speed though on the flat.
But on the flat i would race for signs agaisnt people on geared bikes and get up to 30mph on the 65" gear. Crap for long sprints, but for short ones id usually win them because the gear will accelerate faster then someone on a geared bike.

Top Bottom