Hmm, do I want a fixed?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was in the bike shop yesterday getting a change of cassette and seatpost. We got talking and I mentioned that I now hate my hybrid and want something cheap and nasty that I can do my bad weather day cycling to work.

The words fixie and single speed where then mentioned. Am I ready for this, I don't know! It's an experiment that I might be willing to try though, as the bike shop reckoned they could cobble something up (single speed) for about £100 (yes I know I could probably do this as a project and do it almost for free but I don't have time...)

Hmm. Could I manage my commute on just one gear? It has some hills but is only 5 miles each way. For a little more money I could probably get a fixed. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a fixed.

The lack of maintenance would be the main selling point. I know the basics, but never have the time. Hmmm. Time to ponder....

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
On-One were doing the well regarded "Pompino" frame & fork for £99 recently. Tempted to knock something up myself using that...

Radius

SHREDDER
There are ways in which you get less tired riding fixed, an element of momentum caused by the direct drive which makes 'cruising' easier. I don't think there should be as much mystery and fear surrounding fixed as currently exists.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I would go for single speed myself rather than true fixed hub. I've been thinking of doing that myself for here and theres plenty of hills here.

gavintc

Guru
A fixed is certainly one of my aspirations. I have never ridden one, but having to chatted to club riders who do, there does seem to be some benefits from riding fixed. Maybe next year.

bonj2

get a fixed, there is no advantage to single speed whatsoever. It definitely increases strength and fitness.
Get a fixed/fixed hub, start off with a 48x19 which is about 67" then if you find you're spinning too much on the downhill and you can manage a bigger gear up hill then get an 18t sprocket for the other side, this will be about 70".

magnatom said:
Aye, but would I be knackered at the end of my commutes?;)

No.

I have ridden fixed bikes many times and they are well good,no faffing about with gears although you have to think a bit more ahead.

Once you get used to it you will be ok.Also increases your braking power.

Ivan Ardon

I found SS suited me better than fixed, but I have a few Devonian hills to contend with on my commute.

Grinding up them in a 65 inch gear, I could manage with the fixed being slightly easier due to the flywheel effect. Coming back down them on fixed was no fun at all and far outweighed the slightly easier climbing, so I went back to SS.

SS is definately low maintenance, I always felt the need to keep an eye on chainline and chain tension on the fixed in case it fell off and decided to kill me.

MajorMantra

Fixed! Fixed! Fixed!

SS has the disadvantages of having only one gear but lacks the grin factor of fixed. I admit that descending isn't as nice but I see it as a challenge. You can really feel when you've hit a new top speed and I think it improves your ability to adapt to a range of cadences. Do it.

Matthew

OP
OP
M

magnatom

forgot to say, I have a bad knee. Three ops. Cycling is usually ok but running and hill walking is a no no. Does that mean fixed is a bad idea?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Radius said:
There are ways in which you get less tired riding fixed, an element of momentum caused by the direct drive which makes 'cruising' easier. I don't think there should be as much mystery and fear surrounding fixed as currently exists.

Not completely. Some people cant get fixed to work as well for them as a geared bike.
Also, to use the momentum properly you have to ride the bike alot, so you end up getting fitter and knowing how to use the momentum more.
Cournering aswell is helped, i cann go around courners better then alot of the people i ride with, so when we go through a village and they freewheel for the courner and im carrying on peddling they have to sprint to catch back up, and then this goes from riding fixed to when i ride geared bikes, whenever that may be.
You may find that new expensive road bike you bought ends up sat in your shed though when you start riding fixed.

Top Bottom