Hobby suggestion thread!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Take up the Harmonica ā€“ itā€™s cheap as chips (used to be).

Your first decent diatonic should only set you back about Ā£35-Ā£40.

Although, the next 20 will cost you a grand or so.

Then thereā€™s the obligatory microphone fetish, valved amplifier cravings and experimentation with the (even more) expensive chromatic harmonicas, to consider.

On second thoughts - perhaps stick to bikes. Itā€™s cheaper :laugh:

Once a Wheeler

ā€¦always a wheeler
Genealogy enthuses a lot of people and with good reason. We are all so closely related that most people can establish a royal/revolutionary/notorious/or otherwise famous connection within a few generations. Mind you, we share 98.8% of our genes with chimpanzees, so if you could go back far enoughā€¦

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
šŸ¤¦ it was a joke!

i have also fallen off a small cliff before, ai am aware, don't worry! šŸ‘

The problem with online jokes, when it comes to safety, is that you donā€™t know who the audience is. Someone might be thinking of doing some walking next winter, and due to lack of experience, think an ice axe when snow is about, is an optional extra if joked about enough. If you read mountain rescue reports, youā€™d know where Iā€™m coming from.

P.S. falling off small cliffs is reserved for Lemmings

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
50 odd years ago we used to come up from S Wales for New Year and ice climbing. We'd camp somewhere. Remember the problem of having to take your boots off to get in the pub. Finding them at the end of the evening was a challenge. Totally bonkers.

We used to spend new year up in Scotland as well. One year, had my climbing partner fall off one of the pinnacles on Aonach Eagach. I did the off mentioned, but rarely done manoeuvre, of jumping off the other side of the ridge to a ledge below, then holding the ropes and waiting for his weight to come on to them. He ended up dangling upside down, tangled in the ropes, over a large drop. Took a while to get him upright and back on the ridge. But we both lived to tell the tale. I then led the section up the pinnacle heā€™d just come off.

richardfm

Veteran
Take up the Harmonica ā€“ itā€™s cheap as chips (used to be).

Your first decent diatonic should only set you back about Ā£35-Ā£40.

Although, the next 20 will cost you a grand or so.

Then thereā€™s the obligatory microphone fetish, valved amplifier cravings and experimentation with the (even more) expensive chromatic harmonicas, to consider.

On second thoughts - perhaps stick to bikes. Itā€™s cheaper :laugh:

When I was younger I wanted to play harmonica in an R'n'B band like Dr Feelgood or Nine Below Zero. I tried but have no musical talent so have stuck to going to gigs and collecting music

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The problem with online jokes, when it comes to safety, is that you donā€™t know who the audience is. Someone might be thinking of doing some walking next winter, and due to lack of experience, think an ice axe when snow is about, is an optional extra if joked about enough. If you read mountain rescue reports, youā€™d know where Iā€™m coming from.

P.S. falling off small cliffs is reserved for Lemmings

Say that enough times and... Oh, no, wait, bad example...

To be fair, you'd have to be exceptionally special if you went hiking with an old Argos Catalogue anyway! šŸ˜†

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Another hobby to try.

Building your own rockets šŸš€

View: https://youtu.be/EjaoYGTinus

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I recall a couple of bad calls of my own, though got away with it. Took a pal on a winter trip to Snowdonia, and as he'd been saying he wanted something a bit more exciting than he'd been doing local rambling group suggested Crib Goch, though warned him it was a bit airy, but he said he'd give it a go. We lent him an ice axe and off we went. Fairly soon realised Crib Goch covered in 6" of melting slush was a bad idea, and the axes were of no use at all. Anyhow he did pretty well, but when we finally got onto a more normal path he looked me in the eye and said "That's the worst thing I've ever done in my entire life, and I never ever want to do anything like that ever again" ! To be honest we shouldn't have done it at all in those snow conditions, never mind with a novice. Oops!

Another bad call was taking a bunch of (experienced) students on a particular route through a cave involving a stream section. We got to the stream and my mate, like me the other veteran caver, commented that the water was a bit high, but I felt it was OK we would only be in the stream for a relatively short bit for the planned trip, and not the fiercest bit of the stream at that. It quickly became apparent that this was a bad decision, but it wasn't safe to turn back as in high water conditions you are better off going upstream (as we were) rather than downstream as the water can knock your feet out from under you. The highlight was a climb up a 5' waterfall - simple in normal conditions but on that day it was a horizontal jet of water going some way along the passage. We had to climb up further back and traverse along. If anyone had slipped they'd have gone. Anyhow we got away with it, as luckily the lads were fit and strong. Many later some of the former students had joined our club, and one commented about the "fantastic trip in the streamway we'd taken them on when they were students". With a slightly less strong team we could have lost someone, though perhaps if I'd then known how very capable their group was I'd have thought it bloody good fun if slightly risky.

simongt

Guru
My late dad was also in the Royal Engineers in WW2! I wonder if they ever met?
Mine was an instructor teaching the Ingles bridge then the Bailey bridge in Ripon when the School of Military Engineering which had moved up there from Chatham. He later went over to Europe shortly after D-Day, ending up as a Military Governor in the town Of Lubekke in Germany for his sins - ! ^_^

Top Bottom