Hobby suggestion thread!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks like a bird of prey coming into get you

it's a fun, flying dragon

not to hijack the thread but these are fun for me
kite cam over sand bar.jpg

kite cam may 2021 small.jpg

on a good wind day it's a cinch to get it up
SHIPWRECK KITE CAM small.jpg

straps to the bike quite nicely
carry kite.jpg

works with my Jeeps & Subaru

North Truro
black kite photo.jpg

Cape Poge, Martha's Vineyard
peninsula photo  from a kite.jpeg

Race Point Light, Provincetown
LIGHTHOUSE KITE CAM small.jpg

it is a loyal companion
kite shadow crop.jpg

& if it's not intolerable, a cpl more I really really like

flying it thru my sunroof as I drove the Jeep real slowly
ACTP0983 kite thru roof SMALL.jpg

then walking the beach I did not know why all the seals were hauled up on the sandbar until I got home & saw what I'm pretty sure, is a white shark (center frame) that was only 20-40 meters away from me. see my shadow at bottom left corner
shark and seals whole photo SMALL.jpg

& I think that's the kite shadow next to the shark. maybe the kite was at similar angle as the sun so the sharks's shadow is out of view? not 100% sure but it was August & could very well have been
shark and seals SMALL.jpg

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
& if it's not intolerable, a cpl more I really really like

flying it thru my sunroof as I drove the Jeep real slowly
View attachment 694948

then walking the beach I did not know why all the seals were hauled up on the sandbar until I got home & saw what I'm pretty sure, is a white shark (center frame) that was only 20-40 meters away from me. see my shadow at bottom left corner
View attachment 694949
& I think that's the kite shadow next to the shark. maybe the kite was at similar angle as the sun so the sharks's shadow is out of view? not 100% sure but it was August & could very well have been
View attachment 694950

What's the camera?

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I should perhaps qualify that going for a moderate winter hill walk in Scotland usually requires an ice axe walking stick stylee, so not claiming any Hilary / Tenzing heroics

An Ice axe? What a poo... Wimp... The last time I went hill walking in the winter, all I had were my fingernails and an old Argos catalogue, goddammit!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
[/
Something similar happened to me on a mountain in Glencoe. I was kneeling down with my ice axe stuck in the ground and I was flipped over by the wind. Happened again a few minutes later. And I didn't have a kite either !

A qualified mountain leader had us had up a valley intending to do a high level route in exceptional winds. We persuaded her to change plans so she sent us over a side ridge col to get to the other valley back. Against my personal view on the matter I went with her and on reaching the top got a couple of minutes of very high winds such that we were flat as possible hiding behind and little rock we could gripping the ground firmly with our legs practically flapping off the ground with the wind! I knew it was a bad idea and when someone's dog refused to even go up to the top I think it really spelt out the situation to me. I only went over because I didn't want to leave her with the others, my friends.

She was working her way up the qualifications but tbh her judgement was dire. I would never hire her to lead a group. She was an accountant and should have stuck with that! Still, it was amazing just how fierce Cumbrian winds can get!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[/

A qualified mountain leader had us had up a valley intending to do a high level route in exceptional winds. We persuaded her to change plans so she sent us over a side ridge col to get to the other valley back. Against my personal view on the matter I went with her and on reaching the top got a couple of minutes of very high winds such that we were flat as possible hiding behind and little rock we could gripping the ground firmly with our legs practically flapping off the ground with the wind! I knew it was a bad idea and when someone's dog refused to even go up to the top I think it really spelt out the situation to me. I only went over because I didn't want to leave her with the others, my friends.

She was working her way up the qualifications but tbh her judgement was dire. I would never hire her to lead a group. She was an accountant and should have stuck with that! Still, it was amazing just how fierce Cumbrian winds can get!

There can be extra risk with deferring to the "expert" as people then put aside their own perhaps
better judgement, though of course, you can learn a lot from a good instructor, so there is a balancd

Activities like (holiday) scuba diving are particularly prone to this with people doing a "follow my leader" dive and being excessively dependant on the guide rather than checking their own air and what not, quite apart from carrying on when the guide's own judgement is off.

In your example above, without the guide, you and the others would no doubt have binned it off far earlier.

Another scenario I've seen is where there's a mismatch in ability and the more able people, can over estimate the beginners' abilites. I've seen this particularly in student caving where the 2nd years lead a trip not realising some beginners aren't someone like themselves with less experience, but maybe include people who really aren't ever going to be cavers. Of course, a professional instructor should be better place to spot this

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
An Ice axe? What a poo... Wimp... The last time I went hill walking in the winter, all I had were my fingernails and an old Argos catalogue, goddammit!

Winter hill walking is a serious business in Scotland (and many other mountainous areas).

In the late 90s I was climbing (proper climbing with ropes in this context) Buachaille Etive Mòr in winter, with a friend. We were ascending the summit snow slopes (having finished the climb) to the descent route, when a foot hold collapsed underneath me, and I found myself on my back hurtling head first to the face we had just climbed. It’s about the worst scenario for an ice axe arrest, unless you are tumbling out of control. Fortunately I practice ice axe arrests every time I’m back out in the winter snows each year. I was able to bring myself under control and arrest my fall.

The last thing we need in the mountains is a macho attitude to risk. Sadly there are fatalities every year.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Veteran
Winter hill walking is a serious business in Scotland (and many other mountainous areas).

In the late 90s I was climbing Buachaille Etive Mòr in winter, with a friend. We were ascending the summit snow slopes , to the descent route, when a foot hold collapsed underneath me, and I found myself on my back hurtling head first to the face we had just climbed. It’s about the worst scenario for an ice axe arrest, unless you are tumbling out of control. Fortunately I practice ice axe arrests every time I’m back out in the winter snows each year. I was able to bring myself under control and arrest my fall.

The last thing we need in the mountains is a macho attitude to risk. Sadly there are fatalities every year.

50 odd years ago we used to come up from S Wales for New Year and ice climbing. We'd camp somewhere. Remember the problem of having to take your boots off to get in the pub. Finding them at the end of the evening was a challenge. Totally bonkers.

Top Bottom