Hobby suggestion thread!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
Surveillance mainly, with cameras. Plus to get aerials up for comms.

I got one for my kids....

Told them it was a Yorkshire man's drone!🤣🤣🤣

Gwylan

Veteran
  • For those who like exploring and treasure hunting, GeoCaching can be fun.
  • Craft kits from macrame to candle making
  • Dolls houses (collecting or building)
  • You could take up a musical instrument, or if you play one, find a local band or music group that you can play with.
  • The MiL has a knit and natter group she found on next door.
  • Cycling is a good hobby :whistle:
  • If you have a bit of cash, you could take up skiing or motorsport - driving single seaters is fun.
  • Lego building?
Cycling isn't a hobby. Its a complete, full depth obsession.

Trouble is that you can end up with a lot of beer. Even if you recycle the failures
Needs a lot of loyal support from mates to deal with the product.

Same applies (largely) to preserve making.

Having said that, a jar of good homemade jam / marmalade / chutney / pickle makes for a nice gift, so it's always good to have a little stash put aside.

richardfm

Veteran
Trouble is that you can end up with a lot of beer. Even if you recycle the failures
Needs a lot of loyal support from mates to deal with the product.

You just need to regulate how often you brew and then share with friends and family. Having too much beer has never been a problem for me.

richardfm

Veteran
Same applies (largely) to preserve making.

Having said that, a jar of good homemade jam / marmalade / chutney / pickle makes for a nice gift, so it's always good to have a little stash put aside.

I make marmalade every year, I've rarely finished the batch from the previous year by the time I make more. We are still eating chutney and jam that are a few years old.

Nibor

Bewildered
really? I guess kites have all kinds of uses. wonder how they were used in the military

I believe the were for radion antennas they used them to elevate the antenna wire

I make marmalade every year, I've rarely finished the batch from the previous year by the time I make more. We are still eating chutney and jam that are a few years old.

If you seal your jars while stuff is very hot, you then create a vacuum inside the jars as the contents cool, which means that there's a really good shelf life.

Recently finished a jar of beetroot chutney I'd made in 2014 - nothing wrong with it. Likewise the jar of raspberry jelly which was of similar vintage.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
We had an army surplus box kite when I was a child

really? I guess kites have all kinds of uses. wonder how they were used in the military

I believe the were for radion antennas they used them to elevate the antenna wire
I had one bright yellow with pockets on one side filled with Kapock as a flotation aid .
I was told they were for downed air crew , Nibor your explanation sounds more plausible
How would you manage to fly a kite while in small dingy in middle of the North Sea .

Top Bottom