Hobby suggestion thread!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Have we had bellringing?

Bellringing not campanology*.

Good aerobic exercise, sociable and no requirement to be religious or a churchgoer.

*Saying 'campanology' is a bit like turning your bike upside-down to fix a puncture.

Nibor

Bewildered
The top knot is an alpine butterfly knot, is it not?

I know it as a Lanyard knot it has a bit of gutted cord through it for the ears

I have a 2m power kite.....with light winds it can pull your arms out of it's sockets I kid you not, but it's great fun

oh fun, but yikes! I like to hang a sport cam from kites, taking somewhat random photos. it's my ridiculous childlike pleasure. some of my favorite photos are from underwater when it crashes into the ocean

have you ever considered putting on a wetsuit & getting one of those kite boards? hehe

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Last edited:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I haven't flown a kite in years... Brilliant fun, though.

I have a beautiful (1950s) vintage kite that I used to fly when I was a kid. It was later gifted to me by the elderly family friend who'd originally bought it for her nephews. I don't dare fly it anymore, but I have enough similar fabric to make a copy.

Actually, that would be a nice project...

When I was a child my parents use to make box kites for me using canes and parachute silk, mum had a sewing machine, some of these kites 3-4 foot long, dad use to get it up in the air on a very long cord and tie it to the bumper of car while we had a picnic in the New Forest

Happy Days :smile:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
When I was a child my parents use to make box kites for me using canes and parachute silk, mum had a sewing machine, some of these kites 3-4 foot long, dad use to get it up in the air on a very long cord and tie it to the bumper of car while we had a picnic in the New Forest

Happy Days :smile:

I remember during the war years as kids we made kites from bits of garden cane and newspaper and stuck together using flour and water paste for glue. Any string we could get hold of was used for the tail and a long bit for flying.The season for this came round every year about the same time and lasted for at least a month till the next craze came along. There seemed to be a cycle of playground games which changed at intervals every year.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have a 2m power kite.....with light winds it can pull your arms out of it's sockets I kid you not, but it's great fun
A friend of mine thought that it would be a good idea to fly his on top of a mountain in the Lake District. After being lifted off the ground and almost dumped off the mountain, he changed his mind...! :laugh:

simongt

Guru
They were pretty de rigeur in the 1970s.
The ones I have date from the 1940s - ! Sadly one set of four is of my late dad; Royal Engineers, conducting a training exercise with a platoon of sappers during WW2, but to get them enlarged to be properly viewable will be very expensive. :blush:

The ones I have date from the 1940s - ! Sadly one set of four is of my late dad; Royal Engineers, conducting a training exercise with a platoon of sappers during WW2, but to get them enlarged to be properly viewable will be very expensive. :blush:

I have a stash of those too, part of the boxes of papers belonging to my grandfather. WW2 era photos, I mean.

A reasonable flatbed scanner (I have a Canon Lide 220 bought for 40 notes on the Bay of E) and the Max Speilmann photo machines in the larger Tesco stores are your friends here. ;)

Top Bottom