Holding cars up...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I'm actually quite enjoying reading this thread. If you dont like it dont read it.

I agree, it's kind of like watching Jeremy Kyle....

:whistle:

Bicycle

Cobblers. Such utter cobblers, in fact, that it could tempt one to the sort of utterance that sensitive sorts and diligent Moderators characterise as "playing the man, not the ball". Lee spotted immediately what you were up to in your first despicably disingenuous post on this thread, and I'm afraid everything you've written is more of the same. Oblige me by not pretending partly to agree with me, would you? A preference for Vs over Discs aside, we agree about precisely nothing.

Sir/Madam,

I'm beginning to sense that I may be making you cross with my endless babbling, so I shal, proceed with caution.

On 'playing the man', I wonder where you'd put the endless lampooning someone's prose style. As it is, no-one mocks my style more than I do myself. If they were handing out medals for the ridiculing of my prose, I'd be in pole.

As to my 'despicably disingenuous post', I take it that was a post you disagreed with. I find none of my posts dispicably disingenuous, although it sounds quite a fun quality. If I do have that quality, I might see if I can bottle it. It makes me feel like Dick Dastardly.

On the matter of 'pretending partly to agree' with you, there was no artifice. We both think the woman in the clip was behaving in a vile way. That is agreement. I think she and the cyclist made matching bookends up to a point. You think otherwise. That is partial agreement.

On brakes, I had no idea you were an advocate of the V-Brake. Yes, I do like them on roadified MTBs. For brain-out roadbikes I prefer callipers and for the dirt I am a reluctant convert to hydraulic discs. Mechanically, my fave is the V-Brake, but so few bikes are right for them.

Surely you and I must agree on some other issues.... I'll offer you some of my opinions:

1. Sage and Rosemary are hugely under-used herbs in this age when people seem to put Basil in everything.

2. Apples can be left on trees well into November and still taste delicious, cooked or raw.

3. I believe a shirt should always be ironed as follows: Sleeves, collar, shoulders and then body from buttons to buttonholes.

4. Unless you are Italian or unbelievably stylish, brown shoes cannot be be worn with a navy blue suit.

5.Foot-operated parking brakes (as in some Citroens and M-Bs) should not be offered in conjunction with manual transmission. It makes a mockery of their raison d'etre.

Aware as ever that the Internet is nearly full and that you have better things to do than read my pointless prose, I'll leave it there.

But do tell; do you agree with any of the deeply held beliefs outlined above?

'

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Bicycle, a little of topic, but that last post of yours struck a chord with me, are you Robin Cooper? You can PM me if you don't want to admit it to the general public.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Sir/Madam,

I'm beginning to sense that I may be making you cross with my endless babbling, so I shal, proceed with caution.

On 'playing the man', I wonder where you'd put the endless lampooning someone's prose style. As it is, no-one mocks my style more than I do myself. If they were handing out medals for the ridiculing of my prose, I'd be in pole.

As to my 'despicably disingenuous post', I take it that was a post you disagreed with. I find none of my posts dispicably disingenuous, although it sounds quite a fun quality. If I do have that quality, I might see if I can bottle it. It makes me feel like Dick Dastardly.

On the matter of 'pretending partly to agree' with you, there was no artifice. We both think the woman in the clip was behaving in a vile way. That is agreement. I think she and the cyclist made matching bookends up to a point. You think otherwise. That is partial agreement.

On brakes, I had no idea you were an advocate of the V-Brake. Yes, I do like them on roadified MTBs. For brain-out roadbikes I prefer callipers and for the dirt I am a reluctant convert to hydraulic discs. Mechanically, my fave is the V-Brake, but so few bikes are right for them.

Surely you and I must agree on some other issues.... I'll offer you some of my opinions:

1. Sage and Rosemary are hugely under-used herbs in this age when people seem to put Basil in everything.

2. Apples can be left on trees well into November and still taste delicious, cooked or raw.

3. I believe a shirt should always be ironed as follows: Sleeves, collar, shoulders and then body from buttons to buttonholes.

4. Unless you are Italian or unbelievably stylish, brown shoes cannot be be worn with a navy blue suit.

5.Foot-operated parking brakes (as in some Citroens and M-Bs) should not be offered in conjunction with manual transmission. It makes a mockery of their raison d'etre.

Aware as ever that the Internet is nearly full and that you have better things to do than read my pointless prose, I'll leave it there.

But do tell; do you agree with any of the deeply held beliefs outlined above?

'

Point of order. The salient difference between prose and poetry is that in the former the typesetter (or digital equivalent) decides where the line ends and in the latter the decison rests (for good or ill) with the author. What you write is extremely bad free verse. And the difference between my criticism of your writing and your self-mockery is that I actually mean it. You could, if you chose, write differently. The reason you don't is that you've clearly figured out that some people are buying it. Which is annoying, because it makes me look mean.

I don't agree about sage, actually - I love it, but like tarragon it shouldn't be bandied about carelessly. But I digress - if you wish people to enjoy sharing good-natured small talk with you, you'd be better advised not to insult their intelligence in the same or adjacent posts. There's no way round the fact that your contribution to this thread is a disgrace - and it's one that is compounded, not mitigated, by the manner in which you choose to fill up the internet. Which is a suitably prolix way of saying that we (except for Mugshot) have got your number.

lukesdad

Meanwhile ( back at the batcave) having sewn the seeds of discontent. The OP once again dissapears into the Glaswegian murk, laughing his cottons off ! Knowing full well the trusted lieutenants will fight his corner untill their last breath, only to be mown down in the manner of a bloody Crimean battle :biggrin:

Hip Priest

Veteran
Anyone who doesn't think Magnatom should be doing what he's doing can find some like minded folk at the end of his STV news appearence.

"He shouldnae be deeing it"

Buddfox

Veteran
I'm just glad he changed 'proceeding' to 'preceding' - I got completely thrown the first time I watched it!

I think it's a good clip. I think she's unnecessarily rude but shows behaviour not atypical for a stressed out driver who's been stuck in traffic. I don't think Magnatom needed to talk to her - the irony of the video would have been just the same. He could have just let it go and posted a funny clip all the same.

I do wonder why cyclists have such a bee in their bonnet about this road tax thing. It's so obvious what the drivers mean, it always seems to come across as schoolyard childish argument when cyclists respond "I don't pay road tax, but neither do you." Let's just call it splitting hairs!

The tanker video remains by far and away the scariest cycle clip I've seen. It still freaks me out when I watch it.

Good debate on this thread though - don't shut it down, I'm enjoying it.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I'm just glad he changed 'proceeding' to 'preceding' - I got completely thrown the first time I watched it!

I think it's a good clip. I think she's unnecessarily rude but shows behaviour not atypical for a stressed out driver who's been stuck in traffic. I don't think Magnatom needed to talk to her - the irony of the video would have been just the same. He could have just let it go and posted a funny clip all the same.

I do wonder why cyclists have such a bee in their bonnet about this road tax thing. It's so obvious what the drivers mean, it always seems to come across as schoolyard childish argument when cyclists respond "I don't pay road tax, but neither do you." Let's just call it splitting hairs!

The tanker video remains by far and away the scariest cycle clip I've seen. It still freaks me out when I watch it.

Good debate on this thread though - don't shut it down, I'm enjoying it.

You wouldn't have had the "you've been holding everyone up" line, though. There's a very simple reason why you should talk to motorists who behave badly towards you, and that is that they are counting on you not doing so.

Hip Priest

Veteran
The tax thing isn't splitting hairs. Many motorists believe that roads are solely paid for from VED, and believe that gives them rights other road users don't have.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Which is a suitably prolix way of saying that we (except for Mugshot) have got your number.

LOL :thumbsup:
I will raise my own point of order though, I asked to be excluded from the "bored" we, not the "number" we. However I do understand that it is entirely impractical to expect you to check which group I'd like to belong in each time :smile:

lukesdad

You wouldn't have had the "you've been holding everyone up" line, though. There's a very simple reason why you should talk to motorists who behave badly towards you, and that is that they are counting on you not doing so.

Hmm, there are a minority though that will be counting on you to confront them in order to esculate the situation ?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
LOL :thumbsup:
I will raise my own point of order though, I asked to be excluded from the "bored" we, not the "number" we. However I do understand that it is entirely impractical to expect you to check which group I'd like to belong in each time :smile:

It is a bit, but I'm happy to be put straight after the event.

Top Bottom