Holding cars up...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Hmm, there are a minority though that will be counting on you to confront them in order to esculate the situation ?

Sure, but seeing as you can't do much to sort them out, you might as well use the strategy that works on people who are a little more susceptible to change.

lukesdad

Sure, but seeing as you can't do much to sort them out, you might as well use the strategy that works on people who are a little more susceptible to change.

Ah! applying the same reasoning here then, how would you say the strategy is going so far ? :biggrin:

Bicycle

Point of order. The salient difference between prose and poetry is that in the former the typesetter (or digital equivalent) decides where the line ends and in the latter the decison rests (for good or ill) with the author. What you write is extremely bad free verse. And the difference between my criticism of your writing and your self-mockery is that I actually mean it. You could, if you chose, write differently. The reason you don't is that you've clearly figured out that some people are buying it. Which is annoying, because it makes me look mean.

I don't agree about sage, actually - I love it, but like tarragon it shouldn't be bandied about carelessly. But I digress - if you wish people to enjoy sharing good-natured small talk with you, you'd be better advised not to insult their intelligence in the same or adjacent posts. There's no way round the fact that your contribution to this thread is a disgrace - and it's one that is compounded, not mitigated, by the manner in which you choose to fill up the internet. Which is a suitably prolix way of saying that we (except for Mugshot) have got your number.

Sir/Madam,

Blimey!

This really gets to you, doesn't it? Truly, it is not poetry; it is not verse; it is not free verse. It is prose.

Certainly it is extremely bad. We agree on that at least.

Of course I could write differently. We all could.

I don't write as I do because I've figured out that some people are buying it. I'm not even sure what is is I'm supposed to have figured out that they're buying.

Don't be annoyed; I'm sure if you've figured out whatever it is that some people are buying but I'm not aware of selling, then the majority will be with you in not seeing you as mean. I certainly don't think you're mean. I think you're lovely.

If you're right (and you sound as if you usually are) then everyone will agree with you that my contribution to this thread has been a disgrace. That is not something to be proud of.

I must go to collect my youngest from Hockey now, but I will try very, very hard in future not to be disgracefully disigenuous, not to write accidentally in very bad free verse when I thought I was writing dull prose, not to have opinions that differ from yours, not to cravenly give up tarmac to motorists and then covet its return, not to pretend partially to agree with people, not to seethe with...

Cripes! Thanks for all the nudges and suggestions, but I must be honest with you: For the life of me I cannot remember half the advice you've been kind enough to offer me on this thread.

Oh Bother! I've just used up another whole slice of Internet.

I still think Magnatom was being needlessly offensive to the woman in the Freelander.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
335 posts....
....and counting!

All because a bloke who's left the forum comes on to tell us why he's left and come back and left again and why he doesn't post videos on here any more but then posts one in the OP. Almost Joycian that sentence :whistle:

Confused, you will be.

Carry on you lot.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
335 posts....
....and counting!

All because a bloke who's left the forum comes on to tell us why he's left and come back and left again and why he doesn't post videos on here any more but then posts one in the OP. Almost Joycian that sentence :whistle:

Confused, you will be.

Carry on you lot.

All in all, a bit smash and grab.....

theclaud

Openly Marxist
335 posts....
....and counting!

Confused, you will be.

Carry on you lot.

346 posts now... and all because people keep dropping in to say they can't believe how long the thread is going on...

:whistle:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm not an especially close follower of his oeuvre, so I don't know whether there's any truth in this, but it certainly isn't the case in the video that opens this thread, which is rather amusing and shows a fairly good-natured response to an idiotically angry and abusive driver. And yet your entire contribution to this thread is to misrepresent the cyclist in the video. the children thing is absurd. Forgive me if we're a little bored with it, and if this weariness is exacerbated by your unwillingness to prune your ungainly poetry into something a bit more snappy.
you're bored!!! I'm almost comatose, but have taken the trouble to hit control 'I'. Easy on the quote thingy, Ms TeeCee!

U

User169

Anyone who doesn't think Magnatom should be doing what he's doing can find some like minded folk at the end of his STV news appearence.

"He shouldnae be deeing it"

I reckon there are legitimate reasons to be sceptical. FM posted this a while ago....

"On the one hand, I am all for cyclists protecting themselves, but I have also observed that surveillance tends to increase, not act as a remedy for, declining civility. And, whilst I do not any way condone death threats (whether believable or not) or violence of any kind, I can understand why increasing numbers of people have had enough of being filmed everywhere they go. Magnatom may have, and certainly may think he has, no bad motivations, but what does that mean to the people being filmed (and then being displayed online)? It is also the case that you are an easy target for frustration in the way that state CCTV or other fixed cameras are generally not (and they are increasingly protected). I am not sure, in the end whether helmet cams really protect you or incite a reaction. Certainly the posting online is far more provocative than necessary for self-protection. It still isn't 'normal' and I am not sure that I want to live in a society where it is." (my emphasis)

I reckon there are legitimate reasons to be sceptical. FM posted this a while ago....

"On the one hand, I am all for cyclists protecting themselves, but I have also observed that surveillance tends to increase, not act as a remedy for, declining civility. And, whilst I do not any way condone death threats (whether believable or not) or violence of any kind, I can understand why increasing numbers of people have had enough of being filmed everywhere they go. Magnatom may have, and certainly may think he has, no bad motivations, but what does that mean to the people being filmed (and then being displayed online)? It is also the case that you are an easy target for frustration in the way that state CCTV or other fixed cameras are generally not (and they are increasingly protected). I am not sure, in the end whether helmet cams really protect you or incite a reaction. Certainly the posting online is far more provocative than necessary for self-protection. It still isn't 'normal' and I am not sure that I want to live in a society where it is." (my emphasis)

Pretty much spot on isn't it and posting it online is a long way from being normal. That said, which of us is truly normal.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
well, DP, in response to that splurge of a quotation, I would say that the discussion of the merits of surveillance is meaningless unless one considers who is surveying who. Would Mr. Ian Tomlinson's passing have been marked if it were not for it being filmed? And, while we're about it, try putting that point across in Egypt, In other words, it's deracinated class and gender blind academic bollox.

Put it this way - if tall people were in the habit of being unpleasant to short people, then it would be quite in order for the short people to film the tall people. I'm sure you'll agree with that one!

As for the normal thing - people react to the idea that such and such behaviour is not thought to be generally acceptable. Now that Maggers' vids are going on the telly (thanks, in part, to a primetime ITV show coming your way soon, courtesy of the Cosmodemonic Telly Company) he will play a part in re-forming civility. In the 70s people thought that drink driving was acceptable - now they don't because the mass media made it unacceptable. Thusly with crap driving of the type filmed by the redoubtable Maggers.

ferret fur

OTOH I recently found myself on the end of a completely unjustified tirade from a motorist (no camera so no proof either way) which was abruptly halted mid-sentence after he appeared to glance at my helmet. He then sped off & I was left pondering on the resemblance of my helmet light to a camera.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom