Holding cars up...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dawesome

doog

Does he [Traffic Droid] go around berating motorists on a regular basis?

looks like he cycles around looking for a scrap.

As for the OP's post what did she do to make you confront her?..a gesture? You should have just left it. Would you have done the same if a transit full of pissed up Celtic fans had gestured at you...unlikely.

Bicycle

first, it is a big deal. Angry people behind the wheels of cars are dangerous. Just because it happens a lot does not make it trivial. If people started gesticulating and shouting abuse at other pedestrians when walking. they would be dealt with. I see no reason why road rage behind the wheel is not considered far worse.

We can disagree. I understand why some people might see the initial behaviour by the driver in this vid as a big deal. I don't. I do see road rage as a big deal, but this was just a hand gesture and muttered words inaudible to the cyclist. I know something of rage and that is not rage in my book.

Second, I think you missed the poiint. The woman was too thick to see that the cyclist caused her no problem or delay whatsoever, she was held up behind the motor traffic. The editing of the video brought out that all-too-common stupidity extremely well. It is common for motorists to think in this way about cyclists; the fact that you are prepared to put up with it does not make it wrong for others to try to do something about it.

I didn't miss that point (why is that so often the response to perceived dissent?). I commented on how well the 'prequel' section got its message over. It was amusing. However, I do not think the driver was necessarily 'thick'. She seemed het up and stressed. Lots of people are these days. I stand at your side in being very concerned by road rage. What the driver in the vid did is something I would put up with.

The OP opened a dialogue with her that she didn't want and persisted for his own amusement, as far as I could tell.

Also, I'm not sure that putting a self-congratulatory clip on YouTube can accurately be described as 'doing something about it'. It impresses you mates... which is different.

I don't think it's wrong for people to do something about poor driving. I do not disagree entirely with what the poster of this clip is doing. I am explicit about that in my earlier post. That doesn't stop me from finding it a little crass, artless and self-regarding. The OP put it up and invited comment. I am in the minority on this forum, but that is my view.

I find myself baffled sometimes how some road users seem to find discord and anger where I find only the joy of cycling or driving. I may just be extraordinarily lucky in having hardly ever seen anything that infuriates me in 40 years of cycling and 30 as a driver.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
bicycle said:
I don't think it's wrong for people to do something about poor driving. I do not disagree entirely with what the poster of this clip is doing. I am explicit about that in my earlier post. That doesn't stop me from finding it a little crass, artless and self-regarding. The OP put it up and invited comment. I am in the minority on this forum, but that is my view.
OK, understood, though I don't think magnatom is someone who posts every little minor incident. I think he was making a point rather than being self-regarding.

The real thing that concerns me about the view you have presented is that it suggests the issue is only about the extreme cases and lesser issues should be ignored. in fact, the extreme examples exist in the context of a much wider culture of antipathy towards cyclists, and that is the root of the problem. (And I do think there is a problem.). If we ignore the small things and pretend they don't matter, then the big things will never go away.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

....and there we have it This thread is heading the way that multitudes of threads about my videos, or me went in the past that I just got tired of replying to.

I have never ever have a problem with people with people disagreeing with me, but I hate it when people start to explain how I am thinking and explaining the reasoning of why I do this, or why I do that.

Let me dispel the myth. I did not post this video to try and come across clever. In fact, when editing this video I didn't think it was anything special. I didn't think it would make a big impact. Let me explain what led up to me posting the video from the moment of the video. After that you can project your own prejudices into my mind all you like.

Incident happened. First in probably a month. I was actually shocked my her reaction and what struck me most was the contempt that she displayed when she first spoke to me. So I decided to publish it.

When editing it I initially was going to publish only the incident only. It was only when I looked further at the footage that I realised the relevance of the heavy traffic. So I decided to add it. Mmm. If I add it at the start no-one will watch until the incident, so I decided to edit it the way I did.

My focus on the video was the contempt she displayed the lack of logic was secondary. The clue is in the video title. So when I published it it was only after the reactions I was getting that I had unintentionally changed the focus from the contempt to the 'held in traffic issue'. It wasn't my intention, but as a video it worked, and I feel it is a very good illustration of the issue.

As for lecturing about Road Tax, mmm. I think you'll find she was attempting to lecture me on tax and my road position holding her up, whilst being abusive about it. I just tried to correct her vitriol.

Anyway thanks for reminding me why I took a step back from here. There are some great posters on here (and I don't always agree with them, and they don't always agree with me), but there is a lot of negativity for negativity sake, which is IMO a shame.

I'm off to write some of my book. Yes it will be about cycling, and a lot more. Plenty has happened to me over the last few years, some of it as yet unpublished. It'll be a fabulous read (blatant plug!!) Perhaps those who think they know how I think would like to write it for me.....

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I can't believe that's you Maggers, the voice is nowhere near squeaky enough
tongue.gif

Nice to see you back on here, and good luck with your book.

It's a bit of a nothing incident compared to some, but I agree the prequel bit does show how ridiculous her arguement was. Whether I'd bother asking her questions at the light at all I don't know, but then again i don't see as many cars as were in your vid in a week of commuting, so I have a rather different perspective.

dawesome

lee's a twat waffle but I agree with him here. Re-dub the video with Charlie Brown's teacher's voice instead of the voice of the driver then dub the scalping with the Benny Hill music.

Crankarm

Guru
Feck me! you're not subjecting us to a book as well are you?

You don't have to buy it.

Trailer for his book ...............His name is Magnatom, Dave Magnatom.

Ingore the sniping trolls maggers. I saw the irony in her contempt of you. You have been away too long letting your guard down getting sucked in again.

Crankarm

Guru
[QUOTE 1611363"]
Come off it, the above is a load of bollox and you know it. ****ing hell, did anyone else not see the irony and sense of humour in the OP's vid? Driver complains how cyclist holds her up yet has just been stuck in traffic for gawd knows how long. No more, no less, Mag don't need some sort of psyche assessment on a cycling forum. No wonder he don't come on here no more and who can blame him.
[/quote]

+1.

Come back maggers .................. don't go!

You don't have to buy it.

Trailer for his book ...............His name is Magnatom, Dave Magnatom.

Ingore the sniping trolls maggers. I saw the irony in her contempt of you. You have been away too long letting your guard down getting sucked in again.

I was joking Cranky.

Hopefully Maggers knows me well enough to realize that.

Top Bottom