Holding onto people's cars - do you do it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
This love of the car - must be a British thing. I recall reading that in Paris it's a common sight seeing cars with bumps and scrapes. Something to do with drivers leaving their handbrake down which allows others to nudge them in tight spaces to squeeze theirs in.

As a French friend once told me in response to my horrified reaction when he shunted his Renault 5 into a tight space while I was his passenger, "What's the point in having bumpers on your car if you're not going to use them?"

d.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I've never understood why some cyclists 'man-handle' cars at lights, RAB etc. I would be pretty pissed if any random stranger leaned on my car even if it is a 4 wheeled tank. All about respecting other road users if you ask me.

I agree that it's a bit rude, and that's a good enough reason not to do it, but tbh, the more important reason I wouldn't do it is because I wouldn't feel safe. Being close enough to lean against a car is too close if you don't know when it's going to start moving or in what direction.

But reacting like the OP's colleague to someone touching your car with their hand! sounds like they have potentially dangerous anger-management problems and shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel on public roads.

d.

green1

Über Member
If you were close enough to put your hand on the roof of my car you'd probably be close enough to have your pedal extremely close to the door of it as well. I would also flip out as the paint is soft enough on my car that it's very easy to scratch.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I occasionally touch people's cars with my hands. I find a decent thump on the roof or window often gives the fcuktard within some indication that they are way too close.

But, as I wouldn't lean on a pedestrian, or another cyclist, or an equestrian, in a queue or at lights without asking their permission, so I would not lean on a car unless invited.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I always use the stairs! :thumbsup: (Waits for comments about crowded stairwells ...)

I used to work on the top floor of large building and would race the lift. My colleagues would be getting in on the ground floor as I walked past the open lift door to the stairs. I'd run up 3 double flights and beat them to the office every time. My heart would be pounding like a drum, but I didn't let on that I'd been running. They always looked at me as if they were thinking "How did you do that!" :becool:

You should have pressed the lift button on each floor on the way up!
I work on the 4th floor, and unless the lift is right there, it's always quicker to walk up, even slowly.

Bman

Guru
No, I wouldnt like random people touching my bike, so I wouldnt touch their car.

That said, if a driver reacted saying 'take your hand off my car before I f*cking break it', I'm sure it would make me see red!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
The car extends the personal space, I would feel uncomfortable with someone resting their hands on my car, although it is irrational. The same applies with people who stand too close when you are having a conversation.

lejogger

Guru
Interesting that none of us have admitted to it.
I can't recall ever doing it... I don't think I'd feel safe, especially when most drivers sit with their foot on the brake, there would most likely be some sort of backwards before forwards movement.

I'll admit to having rested briefly against a parked car once a couple of months ago, but it was very circumstantial as traffic was heavy and had come to a quick stop, and it was only for a couple of seconds before it got moving again. It's certainly not something I'd ever look to do if I could help it (although on that occassion I probably could have helped it). I am generally a bit of a clinger to street furniture though. Probably because I'm too tight to buy more than one pair of shoes, I use racing pedals for both weekend and commuting bikes.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Of course, it's slightly ironic that many drivers will react quite furiously to any hint of damage (or even a fingerprint) inflicted on their car, yet many of them drive in such a cavalier way that they practically invite a collision!

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
I just reckon she can be a bit of a mardy cow. We once had a conversation about reclycling (we were getting a new bin in our area) and she said she couldn't be arsed separating anything out as it was 'the bin men's job and it's about time they earnt their pay'. We rarely leave the same time, but I may make an exception today and play a bit of tag on the way home. :becool:

Of course, it's slightly ironic that many drivers will react quite furiously to any hint of damage (or even a fingerprint) inflicted on their car, yet many of them drive in such a cavalier way that they practically invite a collision!

Yes, the behaviour of some drivers is quite funny and can be inconsistent. I used to be a little touchy about damage to my car, but age and other priorities have knocked those corners off me.

However, I think we should be careful how we word our sweeping generalisations. I know very many drivers, but few (if any) would react furiously to a fingerprint on their car. Few drive in such a cavalier way that the practically invite a collision.

Cyclists, on the other hand.... Don't get me started. Few would doubt for a moment that many of them are all the same! Of course, many cyclists are just the sort of people who would go around leaning on cars just to provoke a furious reaction from a driver - which is slightly beyond irony.

There! Every lazy generalisation causes an equal and opposite lazy generalisation, whether in the presence of irony or not.

All road users should be lovely to one another.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I see a few cyclists lean on the back of buses and lorries at the lights but never cars.
I do lorries and busses but never cars...its far too personal and I would go nuts (sorry jez) if someone i didn't know did that to me. Its not just the touching its also the fear that this stranger doesnt have enough common sense or respect to ensure they do no damage.

Lorries and buses are not as personal and lorries in particular are built to take beating so a cyclists hand will likely not scuff any cherished paintwork.

its all about invasion of personal space and property

Top Bottom