Holding onto people's cars - do you do it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
I've just come back from over the offices where one of the women was ranting about a 'f*cking cyclist'. I came in towards the end of the coversation and wondered what on earth said cyclist had done to earn the top notch rant. So I asked..... and wished I hadn't tbh. I've never heard such a whine littered with every swear word she could muster. His crime...... holding onto the top of her precious little Micra (which must be an extention of herself to cause such a fuss) whilst in stationary traffic (at lights). Apparently, she told him 'take your hand off my car before I f*cking break it'. :rolleyes: Now, I'm not 100% sure that she did actually say this - more like bravado and willy waving in front of the other staff.

I can't say I have ever done this - I prefer lamp posts and railings myself as I like a breather at lights. The only time I have done it was when filtering and a car edged in front of me so I had no choice but to put hand on bonnet. Do you 'man-handle' cars and if so, what type of reactions do you get??

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Shouldn't touch peoples cars.
Cars are precious things to a lot of drivers as are our bikes to us.

Time to dig out this advert.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Absolutely not and if a cyclist leaned on my car I would go nuts! Think how you would feel if someone came and leant a cluncky old BSO against your +£1k roadbike then consider that most cars cost around £15k or more. If you need to stop just put a foot down or lean on street furniture if you need to. Touching or leaning on someone elses car is just asking for trouble and shows no respect at all.

BSRU

A Human Being
I would never hold onto a car, then again I would not put myself in the situation of being on the inside of a car at lights.

Paul J

shame she didn't carry out her threat. The cyclist may have learned from their mistake of having little or no respect for other peoples property.

akb

Veteran
I've never understood why some cyclists 'man-handle' cars at lights, RAB etc. I would be pretty pissed if any random stranger leaned on my car even if it is a 4 wheeled tank. All about respecting other road users if you ask me.

Jezston

Über Member
I wouldn't lean on someone's car as it does seem rather rude, but the way some people in this country are so precious about a piece of machinery is deeply tragic.

Fair enough if someone was at risk of scratching the paintwork or something because that kind of thing costs silly money to fix, but for someone to get violently enraged by someone else so much as touching their 'pride and joy' (I mean really) is just embarassing.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
[QUOTE 1783097, member: 45"]I once tapped on the window of a car which had just brushed past me. The driver chased me up the outside of a line of queueing traffic and threatened to kill me.

I'll not be doing that again.[/quote]^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not a good thing to do, but total over reaction from the woman. The cyclist is stupid for doing it as it really winds folk up, and folk do over react.

Skol hit it on the head. I'd go nuts if some oik leant his £99 BSO up against my bikes.

Jezston

Über Member
Think how you would feel if someone came and leant a cluncky old BSO against your +£1k roadbike

I'd go nuts if some oik leant his £99 BSO up against my bikes.

Seriously, guys?

Fair enough if they just chucked it on top but if people took that attitude on the train on my way to work no one would get anywhere. That guy's BSO is worth as much to him as my custom build is to me and as long as he's careful he can put his bike where he damn well likes.

There was a guy who often took my train last summer, classic MAMIL in team kit with an italian carbon road bike. Used to go nuts if anyone put their bike anywhere near his. Conductor gave him short shrift when he witnessed him harassing some poor girl who dared to put her CX bike next to it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Seriously, guys?

Fair enough if they just chucked it on top but if people took that attitude on the train on my way to work no one would get anywhere. That guy's BSO is worth as much to him as my custom build is to me and as long as he's careful he can put his bike where he damn well likes.

There was a guy who often took my train last summer, classic MAMIL in team kit with an italian carbon road bike. Used to go nuts if anyone put their bike anywhere near his. Conductor gave him short shrift when he witnessed him harassing some poor girl who dared to put her CX bike next to it.

Ah, well he's stupid enough to take an expensive bike on a train - should be riding it.

I'd not be happy with a numpty leaning their bike on my Herety - custom build (made to measure), one off paint scheme, DA throughout ! My work bike, I accept it may get scratched, but I'm careful where I leave it, and respect others bikes. Even that's by far the most expensive bike in the stands 3 or more times the value of even some of the decent stuff.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
This love of the car - must be a British thing. I recall reading that in Paris it's a common sight seeing cars with bumps and scrapes. Something to do with drivers leaving their handbrake down which allows others to nudge them in tight spaces to squeeze theirs in.

Top Bottom