Holdsworth 'Trentino' carbon....advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

Hi, I have been offered a Holdsworth 'Trentino' carbon road bike (2014 Tiagra set up) and it could be a good deal.

However I know nothing about the brand other than it was owned by Planet X and may no longer be in production.

The seller claims it is a medium (men's) but from looking at pictures of the rear vertical frame post it is only 45cm from the pedal spindle to the top of the post (not counting the actual seat post itself). Now in my book that would make it a very small frame and possibly a women's but as I said I am not an expert.
Also, I have read that Holdsworth frames were often 'compact' and perhaps relied on a longer, extendable seat post and this may make their sizing different.
I can get no sense from Planet X and they don't have phone lines (I never buy new from a company that doesn't want to speak to me but as this is a private sale I suppose that's a moot point).

Does anyone know anything about this bike, is it any good and is the frame a small or is it a medium but using a different sizing methodology?

Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Does geometry geeks have any measurements if not through Google. Presumably you’ll go try it before committing?

I expect it’s an open mould frameset painted in Holdsworth colours tho?

vickster

Legendary Member

Attachments

• 85BDA3C9-4F61-4585-B5A9-6BC1F19C8E5B.png
    85BDA3C9-4F61-4585-B5A9-6BC1F19C8E5B.png
    72.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Planet X sent me this.....seems it's a small and too small for me anyway.

Attachments

• image (1).png
    image (1).png
    74.6 KB · Views: 16
  • image.png
    image.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 16

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I think you’d be best asking the seller for the top tube measurement centre to centre, that’ll give you a better idea if it’ll fit you. If you have another bike that fits then compare those measurements.
It is difficult to size a bike with a compact frame geometry (sloping top tube). Top tubes can slope at different angles. if I remember correctly my Specialized Roubaix has a 47cm seat tube but it is a 54cm medium frame and my Hewitt has a 49cm seat tube yet that is also a medium frame.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
That would an XS or XXS so unless you are vertically challenged forget it.
And they didn’t make that frame except in SML according to reviews from the time.
@Sloth go see it, you should never buy a used carbon frame without close inspection anyhow

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Here's a few pics of the actual bike.
I am 5'8" with inside leg of between 30-31cm.
It is a compact geometry but it still looks smaller than a medium (i.e. I reckon 54cm is about right for me?)

Attachments

• Trentino 1.jpg
    Trentino 1.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Trentino 2.jpg
    Trentino 2.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 14
  • Trentino 3.jpg
    Trentino 3.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Trentino 6.jpg
    Trentino 6.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Trentino 5.jpg
    Trentino 5.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Trentino 4.jpg
    Trentino 4.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Trentino 7.jpg
    Trentino 7.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Trentino 8.jpg
    Trentino 8.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Trentino 9.jpg
    Trentino 9.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 12

iluvmybike

Über Member
I'd not buy a bike unless I could go and see it and at least sit on it - frame dimensions differ so much between manufacturers it's not just seat tube length but also top tube length and looking at the phtotos the steerer has been cut so not much scope for raising the bars if required

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

The steerer has been what now? Cut?
I have one question....How does one tell this, why would they do it and what does it mean?

lejogger

Guru
I'm not so sure it has been cut. There's lots of spacers under the stem, and a couple above. @iluvmybike is correct that the bars cannot be raised much higher (if at all) without flipping or replacing the stem though.

Most bikes come with plenty of excess steerer tube (extending from the top of the forks through the headset and stem. The idea being you put spacers (or not) under the stem to your ideal height and then cut off any excess that protrudes higher than 5mm above.
Obviously once one owner has done this, the forks are then useless for anyone who would prefer their stem any higher.

iluvmybike

Über Member
That's 2 questions - ha ha! The steerer is the part of the fork that comes up through the headset and to which the handlebars clamp. On new bikes this is usually left uncut (ie at its manufactured length) as this allows the user scope in adjusting their personally required stack height. Once that has been satisfied it is normal then to cut the steerer to that length so that you don't end up with a length of steerer above the bars. If you require a lower stack height then it isn't an issue but if you wnat a higher stack height then it is as you have no scope for raising the height of the bars as it is now set at max height bar about a 5mm spacer max. You said yuo thought the bike was a bit on the smaller side for you so I'd suspect you may need to raise the bars.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
in pictures

1627570540808.png

and only an issue is there isn't a stack of spacers where the green arrow is (or above the bars if they have gone for lower stack height without cutting the steerer to size) and even then you can flip the stem which looks neater than a stack of spacers.

moot point as it is the small frame, looking at the tape measure shots.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The steerer hasn't been cut.
Looking at the Geometry chart posted earlier it does look like the small frame, PX suggest up to 5’ 7”.
Can you try before you buy, you could look at a slightly longer stem maybe, it may just be ok?

Last edited:
Top Bottom