Holiday ideas, southern Ireland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hi all
Contemplating having a week in Ireland, beginning of September. Most likely way of getting there at the moment is to get the ferry from Fishguard to Rosslare, so will be starting in the bottom right hand corner. Likely to be taking the bikes as well. Don't want to spend too much time driving, so thinking really of somewhere below the line joining Dublin to Limerick.

So... where to go when we're there. We'd like to do a bit of mountain walking, a bit of cycling (something like 60 mile days, hills allowed but preferably not too hideously steep). Considering looking for a holiday cottage, or could B&B in two different places.

Not after detailed routes, just some advice as to the best areas to look into, if anyone else has holidayed in the area and has particular places to recommend.

Thanks in anticipation!

Spinney

classic33

Leg End Member
Nenagh Loop in touring has further links on activities in the area, including B&B.

Down below the N7?

Birdhill on the N7 has a few B&B's, with a few more just off the road. One or two are even pubs.

Killaloe/Ballina, down to Sixmilebridge and onto Limerick.
Ennis, Tulla, Shannon, Bunratty.

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
My advice is don't go (and I am Irish), it has lots of pebble dashed bungalows like Scotland, grey ones but even more rain, it'll rain all day, every day, that's all I remember about it from my childhood holidays. I've never been back and can't see me ever doing so. :okay:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We went to County Cork a couple of years ago and stayed near Schull, on the coast right in the south-west corner of Ireland. It has a lovely coastline, and there are some good hill walks not too far away. Fortunately, we were blessed with absolutely beautiful weather. It was our first ever visit to Ireland, so I'm no expert.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
It's a long time since I've been to Eire, but the Dingle Peninsular was a beautiful area to visit.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
My advice is don't go (and I am Irish), it has lots of pebble dashed bungalows like Scotland, grey ones but even more rain, it'll rain all day, every day, that's all I remember about it from my childhood holidays. I've never been back and can't see me ever doing so. :okay:

its true but it was very nice last time i was there , if you go make sure you do the ring of kerry

Sept is probably the driest time. SW corner is great but Kerry is infested with tourists and there are other smaller peninsulars to explore.

tyred

Legendary Member

burn-at-stake.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't know the very soth of the country well enough to give proper suggestions apart from all the usual tourist areas but if you want somewhere away from the maddening crowd, make the trip to Co. Leitrim - lakes, mountains, ruined castles, nice but very short coastline, lots of quiet roads to cycle and it's somewhere not usually promoted as a tourist destination. A long trek from Rosslare I know but it shouldn't take that long nowadays.

Top Bottom