Holiday suggestions, Greece

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Looking to book a 7 day holiday in late June with a couple of friends. Considering Greece as none of us have ever been. Want sunshine and pool, sandy beach for lazing but also an island with some stuff to see or do for a couple days. Somewhere fairly quiet, not many children, nice bars and restaurants but no clubbing scene! Probably self catering and not too expensive. And preferably transfer time under an hour from the airport

Was looking at Crete for no reason other than it's a bigger island but I guess Rhodes, Corfu or others might tick the same boxes

Anyone got any recommendations? Cheers :okay:

AndyRM

XOXO
Lindos. It's beautiful, has a really nice bay and some cracking wee bars/restaurants. I think it was about 1.30 from the airport. You can go on a boat up to Rhodes for a wander as well.

The narrow streets get busy at night, but I don't recall any nightclubs.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Have a look at www.ownersdirect.com - they are private holiday lets with search items you can select; pools, location and the like.

You usually get a hire car included as they can be remote. It'll be a basic one but you can upgrade for a small additional charge. Get crash damage and excess waver when booking though...

We had great family holidays when the children were pre-teens in fantastic places we'd never have tried otherwise. Crete was great, so was western Cyprus [but perhaps a bit too close to Syria]. Paros and Naxos are a long ferry crossing... mainland Greece can be lovely but a bit windy.

TVC

I'm looking for suggestions for Greece too, very similar requirements to Vickster. We have a habit of going long haul and have never been to the Eastern Med, but I fancy it next time.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I went to Spetse on holiday. Lovely island, quiet bars and restaurants. Not much to do but lots of day trips to other places if you wanted them.
That was several years ago now and it may not be that way now!
Also, was quite a long transfer (coach then a small ferry) to get to the island....

Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 12.15.40.png

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I think we'd prefer a direct flight as it's only a week, don't want to lose 2 days travelling :smile:

I found something in a place called Gouves on Crete. Not too far from Heraklion. Afternoon out from Gatwick, evening back
Anyone any experience?

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
It's a holiday, not emigrating :smile:

Mrs M

Guru
Rhodes was nice enough weather and scenery wise, quite a while since we were there though.
Greece is the only country, apart from Cyprus that we haven't returned to. :thumbsdown:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Looking to book a 7 day holiday in late June with a couple of friends. Considering Greece as none of us have ever been. Want sunshine and pool, sandy beach for lazing but also an island with some stuff to see or do for a couple days. Somewhere fairly quiet, not many children, nice bars and restaurants but no clubbing scene! Probably self catering and not too expensive. And preferably transfer time under an hour from the airport

Was looking at Crete for no reason other than it's a bigger island but I guess Rhodes, Corfu or others might tick the same boxes

Anyone got any recommendations? Cheers :okay:

Troulos Bay Hotel - Skiathos
EUROPEMEDITERRANEANGREECESKIATHOSTROULOSRES_000946TROULOSBAYFC.jpg

Top Bottom