Holiday suggestions, Greece

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
http://www.loveholidays.com/holiday...Ww#state=AQoUKFAAIKHLYwIAAAg&view=description

We stayed here ^^^ once in May. anaxos Gardens in Lesvos. Really quiet and uncommercial. There are places like Petra and Molyvos just a few miles away that have a bit more life but are still quiet compared to other places. It is owned by a lady called Maria who spent time in Australia for years, so she speaks good English.
The 3 of us really liked Lesvos, quiet and pretty.

Renmurew

Veteran
We are off to Santorini in May for wedding anniversary trip. :smooch:

We go to Greece each year, been to most Islands. Rhodes Is nice and has lots of resorts around the Island such as Lindos which has been mentioned. Rhodes Town is also nice to stay around although less beachy. Corfu also has some great resorts and nice beaches and a good town to spend a couple of days in. We went to Crete last year to Rethmynion which was lovely with a stunning Venetian harbour. We typically book a week in a fairly cheap resort but then head off to a different town and find a cheap hotel for a couple of days. Never feel bad doing this as the basic holiday isn't that expensive to begin with. Love Greek food too! Good luck.
Wendy

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Zante/Zakinthos a small island with out of the ordinary day trips.

Visit a shipwreck

zakynthos2.jpg

zakynthos-shipwreck.jpg

Visit the blue caves

164045qvvbdskacbebyhkz.jpg

See logger head turtles if you are lucky

zakynthos.gif

Great food and quiet beaches abound.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
We quite enjoy Pefkos to the South pf Rhodes Island.

It seems to have the right mix of, enough to do, lots of good restaurants, but not over run with chavs & binge drinkers, no real club scene of mention although some bars will be open until early hours as they are in many places.

The beaches are very good & not particularly crowded.

Rhodes would be my shout. Been 4 times. Stayed in the Rodos Palladium in Kalithea. Nice hotel on a nice beach which stretches all the way down to Faliraki. Rhodes Town is only a short bus/taxi ride away and its great for wandering about the narrow street of the walled old town. Loads of shops and places to eat. You can also take a day trip (by boat) to Symi or Marmaris in Turkey. Unfortunately its been about 4 years since we were there as Mrs arranandy has developed an irrational fear of flying :sad:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
On Crete, the clubby bit is the north-east coast. We had a glorious holiday on the south coast some years ago - the island is small enough to cover the whole thing from a single base with a hire car. The Heraklion museum and the palace at Knossos are must-visits. For my money, I'd go back to the mainland like a shot - Delhi, Olympos, Mystras, Corinth, and jsut about any other place that's mentioned in the classical literature is worth visiting.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
It would take at least 5 or 6 hours to drive the length of Crete,... we stayed in Chania and flew to Chania airport using a package tour plane which had spare seats. that took 2 hours to drive to Knossos

gbb

Legendary Member
Crete twice...Malia or nearby Stalis...mental now I should think. We did Stalis early season, it was ok, high season its mental.
Rhethymnon..ok. Nothing to shout about,, nothing bad either.
South west of the island is Elafonessi (sp)..stunning, quiet, isolated..just beautiful.

Kos is nice..small, ok for a week. Kos Town is really nice, Tingaki is just a strip although ok.

Kefalonia..Lassi, quite nice and near Argostoli, really enjoyed that . Really nice walk around the Argostoli peninsula, took about 2 hours to walk from Lassi to Argostoli, or half an hour by the main road. You can see huge turtles in the bay, just feet away. Hired a car and drove to the major picture postcard beaches from Captain Corellis Mandolin. Ok, not as good as the hype, but interesting, then did Fiskardo where the jetset and celebs visit, nice place. Had one of the most memorable meals ever en route, a simple roadside taverna, apparently never visited by tourists. ?.awesome food and hosts, what a find. Really enjpyed Kefalonia.

Only visited Rhodes town for a day, nice but seriously expensive.

I like Greece...shame its quite expensive.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
On Crete, the clubby bit is the north-east coast. We had a glorious holiday on the south coast some years ago - the island is small enough to cover the whole thing from a single base with a hire car. The Heraklion museum and the palace at Knossos are must-visits. For my money, I'd go back to the mainland like a shot - Delhi, Olympos, Mystras, Corinth, and jsut about any other place that's mentioned in the classical literature is worth visiting.
I'm not much into old stones, the others may be. I'll have a look at what there is in Rhodes

Malia? :ohmy:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
It would take at least 5 or 6 hours to drive the length of Crete,... we stayed in Chania and flew to Chania airport using a package tour plane which had spare seats. that took 2 hours to drive to Knossos
Flights look to be £300-400 pp to the islands, so almost the same price as a package with transfer, so it makes sense to have a package, but cheers for tne link

gavgav

Guru
Kefalonia. I went 5 years ago and absolutely loved it. Especially around the port of Fiskardo. Fits all your criteria.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I have to say that the 4 hour plus flight times on a charter plane are putting me off Greece, I don't much like flying and my knees don't like sitting for long periods at the mo :sad:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have to say that the 4 hour plus flight times on a charter plane are putting me off Greece, I don't much like flying and my knees don't like sitting for long periods at the mo :sad:

Both Kefalonia and Skiathos are both just under 3 and half hours.

Top Bottom