Holiday suggestions, Greece

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Looking to book a 7 day holiday in late June with a couple of friends. Considering Greece as none of us have ever been. Want sunshine and pool, sandy beach for lazing but also an island with some stuff to see or do for a couple days. Somewhere fairly quiet, not many children, nice bars and restaurants but no clubbing scene! Probably self catering and not too expensive. And preferably transfer time under an hour from the airport

Was looking at Crete for no reason other than it's a bigger island but I guess Rhodes, Corfu or others might tick the same boxes

Anyone got any recommendations? Cheers :okay:

Kefalonia is my favourite. The town of Fiskardo is a lovely area, plenty of restaurants and bars, but not a clubby place. Lots of yachts come in and out of there and so it has quite an upmarket feel to it.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Parga
Scala, kefalonia
Skiathos
Petra, Lesbos

Not Zante or Corfu (bit scabby and clubby)

Booked for Scala again last night and got 200 quid off with Jet2.
Is all of Zante scabby as all the decent places in Kefalonia and especially Skala are way over budget for 10/11 nights in September

Argassi in Zante sounds ok and away from the clubbing?

WHAT'S ARGASSI LIKE?
This village on Zante’s southwest coast is certainly not short on views. Here, in the foothills of Mount Skopos, pine forests, lemon trees and wildflowers dot the plains. But this place isn’t just about rural beauty – it offers bags of convenience, too. The main road through town is lined with shops, plus a surprisingly lively selection of bars and tavernas. And there’s a fine beach right on hand, too.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Is all of Zante scabby as all the decent places in Kefalonia and especially Skala are way over budget for 10/11 nights in September

Argassi in Zante sounds ok and away from the clubbing?

WHAT'S ARGASSI LIKE?
This village on Zante’s southwest coast is certainly not short on views. Here, in the foothills of Mount Skopos, pine forests, lemon trees and wildflowers dot the plains. But this place isn’t just about rural beauty – it offers bags of convenience, too. The main road through town is lined with shops, plus a surprisingly lively selection of bars and tavernas. And there’s a fine beach right on hand, too.

Never been. We stayed in Alikes which was a defunct salt pan- i got eaten alive by mozzies. The surrounding bits were a bit grim but we got a moped and found a couple of lovely beaches- Ag nick sticking in my memory.

As long as it's quiet enough with a couple of decent tavernas and a beach within striking distance you'd be fine.

gbb

Legendary Member
Is all of Zante scabby as all the decent places in Kefalonia and especially Skala are way over budget for 10/11 nights in .......

Just trying to remember all the places I've been to in Greece, Crete (Stalis/Malia), Crete, (Rhethymnon), Kos, Kefalonia, etc etc....they're all (or were) a it scabby :laugh:...but that's part of the charm for me, that slightly unkempt look, lived in. No part of Greece I've ever visited looked like it benefitted from the money tourism has brought in. I love it all the same.

gbb

Legendary Member
Kefalonia is my favourite. The town of Fiskardo is a lovely area, plenty of restaurants and bars, but not a clubby place. Lots of yachts come in and out of there and so it has quite an upmarket feel to it.
We stayed in Argostoli...an ok place, no more, but hired a car and drove up to Fiskardo and it has a completely different vibe, really relaxed and reputedly the visiting place for the rich and famous.
The absolutely highlight of that day however was stopping en route to a quiet village taverna, it was nearly empty and we just had a drink and some light food but were treated like royalty, by the owner couple, such a lovely experience.
The moral. If you find a nice looking quiet taverna...give it a try, the food was fantastic and cheap too. So much nicer than the usual holiday menu you get at resorts.
They even asked...why did you stop here ?...no holiday makers stop here.
Why not I replied but then I was used to being out on a limb working abroad. It's not something tourists do apparently....trust me, people should.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
We stayed in Argostoli...an ok place, no more, but hired a car and drove up to Fiskardo and it has a completely different vibe, really ocean and reputedly the visiting place for the rich and famous.
The absolutely highlight of that day however was stopping en route to a quiet village taverna, it was nearly empty and we just had a drink and some light food but were treated like royalty, by the owner couple, such a lovely experience.
The moral. If you find a nice looking quiet taverna...give it a try, the food was fantastic and cheap too. So much nicer than the usual holiday menu you get at resorts.
Why not I replied but then I was used to being out on a limb working abroad. It's not something tourists do apparently....trust me, you should.

That's what it's all about.

gavgav

Guru
We stayed in Argostoli...an ok place, no more, but hired a car and drove up to Fiskardo and it has a completely different vibe, really relaxed and reputedly the visiting place for the rich and famous.
Why not I replied but then I was used to being out on a limb working abroad. It's not something tourists do apparently....trust me, people should.
Great stuff. I agree with argostoli, felt a bit run down and grotty, to me, but some lovely places to be explored around the island.

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
We’ve decided on a hotel in Argassi Zante. About £600 half board for 11 nights. Thanks all who’ve offered suggestions :okay:

Reactions: gbb

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Next time we go to Greece, it's going to be 'Oia' in Santorini. :okay:
Its nice to visit, especially late afternoon and early evening as the sun goes down. But like all tourist attractions, it is packed to the rafters and hugely expensive. We walked from Thera and arrived just before the sun set and got the bus back. A great place to visit and take photos though.

My choice for Greece would be Kephalonia. A beautiful place.

Last edited:
Reactions: GM

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I've been to 3 of the Greek Islands. I would like to go back as two of them I was on lads holiday's and went to two terrible resorts, Kavos in Corfu, and Malia in Crete. I'm sure there are some nice places on these islands. I also went to Skiathos in the early 90's, that was a lovely small island. I'd like to go back.

gbb

Legendary Member
I've been to 3 of the Greek Islands. I would like to go back as two of them I was on lads holiday's and went to two terrible resorts, Kavos in Corfu, and Malia in Crete. I'm sure there are some nice places on these islands. I also went to Skiathos in the early 90's, that was a lovely small island. I'd like to go back.
Our very first holiday abroad was next door to Malia...Stalis, quieter than Malia. In May, it was ok, it was all quite civilised and quiet.
Some years later we went to Rhethymnon in August with my brother and his wife. We hired a car and one day we coast hopped and ended back at Stalis.
:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: Kin ell !!!!!!!!! It was like a circus, quads, scooters razing all over the place, the streets were thronged with holidaymakers, it was utter bedlam. And that resort is (or was) quieter than Malia :whistle:

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Our very first holiday abroad was next door to Malia...Stalis, quieter than Malia. In May, it was ok, it was all quite civilised and quiet.
Some years later we went to Rhethymnon in August with my brother and his wife. We hired a car and one day we coast hopped and ended back at Stalis.
:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: Kin ell !!!!!!!!! It was like a circus, quads, scooters razing all over the place, the streets were thronged with holidaymakers, it was utter bedlam. And that resort is (or was) quieter than Malia :whistle:

Malia was horrible, I was 25 at the time. We went for 14 days, I hated it after about 4 days. My mate booked terrible accommodation. There were 3 of us, 3 lads. When we got there the apartment had one small double bed and a single bed in the kitchen. We complained about it and were given a really cheap airbed. So we rotated the sleeping in a 3 night rota, one night in double bed, single bed, airbed on the floor. That was in 1995, I can imagine its worse now. I need to go back and go somewhere nice like Rhethymnon..

Top Bottom