Holidays '21: Dare to dream?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But each to their own, I love pubs, so get the right flight, couple of hours enjoying a drink and a bite to eat, long afternoon nap and wake up in another country. Lovely. [...]
I love pubs, but hate that citizenship-stripping-isolationist-run zero-hours app-infested chain. I don't love flying. I'm not great on boats, but it's better than flying. The train tunnel is my favourite exit from England but seems a bit of a faff with a bike, whereas Harwich-Hook is pretty easy from here, by train or maybe one day the weather will be good enough that I'll ride directly.

Last edited:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I've used the sleeper twice - Edinburgh to Euston and it was brill. On the advice of a train guard, I never booked a cabin as there's always space on the bench seating. Stretch out, head down and it's a first class ride to sleep city.

mjr

Yebbut getting off the sleeper at Euston.............................?
Euston is worse than Paddington, for sure. I know some people hate Bruxelles Midi or Paris-Austerlitz but most sleepers arrive in better stations than Euston. Maybe after the HS2 works, Euston will be less like an underground train park but I don't remember the plans. Either dual-voltage locos or more overhead wiring would be needed to enable sleepers to use nicer terminals but I think none have enough platform space in the morning peak anyway, except maybe Olympia (maybe only one would fit?) and connections and facilities there are poor.

mjr

I've used the sleeper twice - Edinburgh to Euston and it was brill. On the advice of a train guard, I never booked a cabin as there's always space on the bench seating. Stretch out, head down and it's a first class ride to sleep city.
I think the new Mark 5 carriages have only recliners or posh cabins. No benches. The Paddington sleepers still use Mark 3s, refurbished to last a few more years yet.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I think the new Mark 5 carriages have only recliners or posh cabins. No benches. The Paddington sleepers still use Mark 3s, refurbished to last a few more years yet.
Boooooo. Those benches gave the best sleep ever.

I know it's probably unwise. I know we'll more than likely be disappointed.

But on a whim and a need to look forward to something, I've just booked a holiday let on Lac Du Bourget near Aix les Bains in the summer.

I'm dreaming of taking the tandem up the Lacets du Grand Colombier with the lovely Mrs Tuesday. The diet starts tomorrow!

Anyone else dare to have cycling dreams for the summer?

View attachment 573794

That was one of my August rides last year:okay: will be back this year although the Mortirolo is calling:bicycle:

From Easter onwards i'm pretty sure we'll be Alps bound, France or Italy. Still way too much snow though, it was 2m on the Simplon yesterday when i came home.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference between a motor home and a campervan? Or is that the sort of question that requires a 500 page thread, insults and flounces?

The former looks like an ice cream can:okay:

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Is it just the faff with the tolls? as you can get the gizmo that auto charges you, take a bit of set up, but then yo wizz straight thru - its no cheaper though. Without a passenger in a RHD car I can see its a slight faff, but I'd take that every time for the time saved and lovely relatively clear roads.
We use the TollTag and it works faultlessly.It's not the faff but as I'm driving along at 130kph(a you say on relatively clear roads) I notice all sorts of interesting looking stuff.I just feel like I'm missing so much just driving on through:rolleyes:

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
No, not risking spening a penny on any firm plans.

However, our motorhome hasn't moved in 11 months, apart from its MOT, and Ive not driven 1000 miles in my car in that time. Im considering selling both and buying a camper instead - small enough to drive locally for the occasional errand, bjpig enough to actually sleep out in. Possibly one of these...

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/vauxhall-vivaro-campervan-revealed-ev-version-due-2021
A different logo pic... is this still the bicyclist, kayaker & outdoorsman we all know? That's a fine looking camper you're considering. I think like a small sailboat, it will offer you easier access to more adventures than your larger mobile home. Also like a smaller sailboat, I would opt for the more adventure get-up-and-go version than the larger more demanding vehicle if it were my choice. Something like the one you linked looks grand. Keep us posted. Adventures await!

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Workmate has just paid £4k for two weeks in a caravan at St Ives.FOUR GRAND:wacko::wacko:
We've booked a cottage in the Cotswolds for next month.We're going Fri 20th-Fri 27th August and it's £850 for the week.If we'd booked Sat-21 to Sat 28th the price doubles:stop::wacko::wacko: WTF:angry:
UK holiday companies are taking the ..... with their pricing.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've heard £4k quoted for a caravan. That's more than ours costs us for a year in site fees. St Ives is rammed too, so won't be pleasant.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I've heard £4k quoted for a caravan. That's more than ours costs us for a year in site fees. St Ives is rammed too, so won't be pleasant.
That’s without a sea view!
We have a family static at Tattersall Lakes,Lincs and that’s the fees for the year!
I just would not pay that for two weeks anywhere let alone the UK!

Top Bottom