Holidays '21: Dare to dream?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
.especially the one in France when we would always find somewhere to buy REAL French bread, cheese and wine.
I plan to introduce my wife to a French patisserie and a boulangerie

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
We used to do south of France by car, most years, 1000 miles from here. Always had at least 2 overnight stops and made that a big part of the holiday.........especially the one in France when we would always find somewhere to buy REAL French bread, cheese and wine.
It helped that we could do 3 weeks...I would not fancy it for just 2 weeks.
We do France most years.A week in the Jura to see family then a week on the Cote d'Azure.I drive from Sheffield to Doucier in one go with a few stops for a break.Then Doucier-Frejus.I drive from Frejus-Sheffield in one go.Generally it's about 19 hours including stops and the ferry.I don't mind the driving it's all part of the fun:okay: When we go to Italy we have an overnight on the way out and one on the way back.Travel days or overnights are extra so we always have either 7 or 14 nights plus the traveling :becool:

Dave7

Legendary Member
We do France most years.A week in the Jura to see family then a week on the Cote d'Azure.I drive from Sheffield to Doucier in one go with a few stops for a break.Then Doucier-Frejus.I drive from Frejus-Sheffield in one go.Generally it's about 19 hours including stops and the ferry.I don't mind the driving it's all part of the fun:okay: When we go to Italy we have an overnight on the way out and one on the way back.Travel days or overnights are extra so we always have either 7 or 14 nights plus the traveling :becool:
Did it in one go once by accident. Got to our hotel to find it closed so decided to carry on.
Took me days to get over it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have a few UK things booked / pencilled in. All of it cancellable without penalty if needs be:
- Newc to Edinburgh on the bikes, hopefully late May if restrictions are lifted sufficiently
- IoW weekend booked in for June
- Long weekend booked kayaking with a bunch of others in July
- Potential to drive over to France to a family cottage in the August

johnblack

Über Member
Last year we booked in January for a holiday to Kos in August, didn't think it would happen after the lockdowns hit, then got a mail in July to make sure we still wanted to go, we thought about it for a bit and went. It was without doubt the best decision we made, it was great, everything was just so normal, I will be going back this year if I get the chance.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Did it in one go once by accident. Got to our hotel to find it closed so decided to carry on.
Took me days to get over it.
I only sleep for 3-4 hours a night so I'm used to spending most of the day awake:ohmy:I love driving in France...apart from the Tolls....going to plot a route avoiding the Tolls one year but that will definitely require an over night:okay: We also plan on buying a Motorhome once there's just us 2 and the dog and doing a proper civilized 'Tour',no planned stops just pull up when we see somewhere we like:okay::becool:

No more than 4 or 5 hours driving a day (except through UK) and saw some beautiful places. Although we got the Portsmouth - Bilbao ferry last time and I'm not doing that again.
What was wrong with the Bilbao ferry? (I looked at that for the Pyrenees in 2019, but went by train in the end to Biaritz)
It's dead handy for me, Portsmouth being a nice day-ride from here!

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
What was wrong with the Bilbao ferry? (I looked at that for the Pyrenees in 2019, but went by train in the end to Biaritz)
It's dead handy for me, Portsmouth being a nice day-ride from here!
Aye, lumpy on the way over then diverted to Plymouth on the way back. Huge delays at Plymouth for some reason.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Got a 2 week scout camp on Derwent Water near Consett in late July. I assume that will be cancelled so we will try and run things locally for the kids. After that a week in Planet Thanet at Birchington so I can see my mother and let the kids play on a sandy beach. We also have Eurotunnel vouchers that expire in April, if they don't extend them and I am forced to book I will look for something as late as possible as I really don't think Europe will be open without extra hassle and costs of testing/quarantine.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I'm expecting all the UK holiday spots to be absolutely RAMMED.
With all the vulnerable and oldies fully jabbed, they'll be champing at the bit to travel (unlike last year).
It's far from clear that international tourism will be possible, or if it will be free from quarantine arrangements.
The UK will therefore be first choice for many, if not most.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I only sleep for 3-4 hours a night so I'm used to spending most of the day awake:ohmy:I love driving in France...apart from the Tolls....going to plot a route avoiding the Tolls one year but that will definitely require an over night:okay: We also plan on buying a Motorhome once there's just us 2 and the dog and doing a proper civilized 'Tour',no planned stops just pull up when we see somewhere we like:okay::becool:
We used to avoid toll roads. Took much longer but was so much more interesting ie stopping off at various villages/small towns and buying some local wine and cheese.

Top Bottom