Holidays '21: Dare to dream?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
We do France most years.A week in the Jura to see family then a week on the Cote d'Azure.I drive from Sheffield to Doucier in one go with a few stops for a break.Then Doucier-Frejus.I drive from Frejus-Sheffield in one go.Generally it's about 19 hours including stops and the ferry.I don't mind the driving it's all part of the fun:okay: When we go to Italy we have an overnight on the way out and one on the way back.Travel days or overnights are extra so we always have either 7 or 14 nights plus the traveling :becool:
People will baulk at the travel time but If you fly to Greece it takes at least 9 hours door to door.
1 hour to the airport
2 hours waiting
4 hours on plane
1 hour to get out of airport
1 hour to the resort.

People will baulk at the travel time but If you fly to Greece it takes at least 9 hours door to door.
1 hour to the airport
2 hours waiting
4 hours on plane
1 hour to the resort.
and Athens is deep in snow currently.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Seeing as I no longer have to plan for family holidays, I'm being realistic and sticking to local rides, not planning any major excursions.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
We used to avoid toll roads. Took much longer but was so much more interesting ie stopping off at various villages/small towns and buying some local wine and cheese.
I only sleep for 3-4 hours a night so I'm used to spending most of the day awake:ohmy:I love driving in France...apart from the Tolls....going to plot a route avoiding the Tolls one year but that will definitely require an over night:okay: We also plan on buying a Motorhome once there's just us 2 and the dog and doing a proper civilized 'Tour',no planned stops just pull up when we see somewhere we like:okay::becool:
Is it just the faff with the tolls? as you can get the gizmo that auto charges you, take a bit of set up, but then yo wizz straight thru - its no cheaper though. Without a passenger in a RHD car I can see its a slight faff, but I'd take that every time for the time saved and lovely relatively clear roads.

johnblack

Über Member
Is it just the faff with the tolls? as you can get the gizmo that auto charges you, take a bit of set up, but then yo wizz straight thru - its no cheaper though. Without a passenger in a RHD car I can see its a slight faff, but I'd take that every time for the time saved and lovely relatively clear roads.
Drove down to near Allemond for the Tour the other year, the first time I'd driven down through France (go across to Belgium quite a bit) and I'd never dream of doing it without the tolls, it's still a hell of a trek but those toll roads get you there.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Depends if the travelling is just the necessary bit to get you from A-B or if you want to make the journey enjoyable too. How much do you learn about England driving down the M6?

johnblack

Über Member
Depends if the travelling is just the necessary bit to get you from A-B or if you want to make the journey enjoyable too. How much do you learn about England driving down the M6?
A to B every time, travelling is rank.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The main thing I've learned from this thread - and I don't mean any criticism here - is how few CC members go on holiday by bike!
Ah, but how many CC'ers use bikes when they're on holiday? I had a great time cycling the Aitana mountains in the Costa Blanca

Dave7

Legendary Member
For me, if time is not an issue, I prefer the minor roads which take you through the small towns and villages. Just more interesting.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
1 hour to the airport
2 hours in Wetherspoons
4 hours asleep on the plane

1 hour to the resort.
So 6 hours travelling, 2 being abused and 1 of boredom? Nah, it's better to use ferries and sleeper trains to travel overnight, spending the days to look around cities like Paris, Brussels or Milan.

Overnight services are the ultimate travel experience - even the non-exotic English Channel crossings. You wake up in another country, man!

(planes and airports are pretty miserable generally, but when things go wrong - and we know they do - they usually become almost unbearable.)

johnblack

Über Member
So 6 hours travelling, 2 being abused and 1 of boredom? Nah, it's better to use ferries and sleeper trains to travel overnight, spending the days to look around cities like Paris, Brussels or Milan.
I don't mind the ferry, Dover - Calais every time over the tunnel. Straight off and into Belgium within the hour.

But each to their own, I love pubs, so get the right flight, couple of hours enjoying a drink and a bite to eat, long afternoon nap and wake up in another country. Lovely. I can only approve of the changes covid enforced on the airports last year. Through passport and baggage in about 20 minutes, 20 minutes for security. Automation of the process is absolutely the way forward. More time in 'spoons. In and out the other side in about half an hour. It was probably the most enjoyable airport experience I've ever had.

Top Bottom