Holidays '21: Dare to dream?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I know it's probably unwise. I know we'll more than likely be disappointed.

But on a whim and a need to look forward to something, I've just booked a holiday let on Lac Du Bourget near Aix les Bains in the summer.

I'm dreaming of taking the tandem up the Lacets du Grand Colombier with the lovely Mrs Tuesday. The diet starts tomorrow!

Anyone else dare to have cycling dreams for the summer?

I admire your optimism, and would normally be looking at some things for the summer or autumn.
We have managed to locate ourselves in a really lovely part of Sussex, with lots of cycle routes around us, and some visitors to the garden we wouldn’t want to leave (even though they’ll fend for themselves no doubt, such is their instinct) but we have a garden to relax in too, so we’ll be remaining here in the southern UK, and happily forego all the worry about whether our plans might disintegrate at the last moment.
But for anyone who, like you, has made (or plans to make) a booking, fingers crossed!
B01026B9-25D8-4825-B555-56612423E06C.jpeg

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member

Landsurfer

Veteran
We’ve booked for 3 weeks in Cornwall starting the last week of July. it’s our own caravan that lives on a site near Portreath. Just booking it has seen the children noticeably cheer up ....
We where phoned by the owners to get a booking done before they went live on their website ... They are pretty much fully booked up now.
Strange if the turning point for the sheeple was holidays being cancelled ................

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
No, not risking spening a penny on any firm plans.

However, our motorhome hasn't moved in 11 months, apart from its MOT, and Ive not driven 1000 miles in my car in that time. Im considering selling both and buying a camper instead - small enough to drive locally for the occasional errand, bjpig enough to actually sleep out in. Possibly one of these...

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/vauxhall-vivaro-campervan-revealed-ev-version-due-2021

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference between a motor home and a campervan? Or is that the sort of question that requires a 500 page thread, insults and flounces?

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Our family holiday to Spain was put back from September to May this year. Don't think it's going to happen.

gavgav

Guru
Not sure we're going to be allowed into Wales any time soon. Our van is supposed to open in just over two weeks. That's another £3.5k wasted.
I have a week booked off work, in April and I keep hoping we’ll be able to open ours up that week......but I’m not sure it’s a realistic ambition. Fingers crossed.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I know it's probably unwise. I know we'll more than likely be disappointed.

But on a whim and a need to look forward to something, I've just booked a holiday let on Lac Du Bourget near Aix les Bains in the summer.

I'm dreaming of taking the tandem up the Lacets du Grand Colombier with the lovely Mrs Tuesday. The diet starts tomorrow!

Anyone else dare to have cycling dreams for the summer?

View attachment 573794

In my dreams, I'll just be a few hours from you - in Annecy. My plan is to cycle there myself and my boys meet me there.

In reality....who knows. But we booked an airbnb in Cornwall for Easter just for the sheer glimmer of hope it's offering us.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I am expecting to agree this week to cancel our 2020 tour that was postponed to this summer. Pretty much no chance of all 4 countries being open enough at once for 10 of us.

Our midsummer tour is already postponed to 2023! We have some ideas for a family English tour, possibly late summer, based off the "best cycleway in England" thread, but anything we book will have to be fully cancellable.

dodgy

Sorry to pee on your bonfire, OP. But we had booked for the Alps and have now cancelled. No way will it be doable in 2021, just look at the vaccination stats for France.

Edit to add: I dearly hope I'm wrong, not least for your plans, it will mean we're in a better place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drago

Legendary Member
Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference between a motor home and a campervan? Or is that the sort of question that requires a 500 page thread, insults and flounces?
In very simplistic terms, campers are van based within a standard van body, albeit often with a pop top. Conversely, motorhomes are custom bodies on a separate chassis, and are usually a fair bit bigger.

Loads of ifs, buts and other stuff, but thats the main distinguishing difference.

Top Bottom