Home Bargains prices as against Tesco, Sainsbury etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I'm talking branded goods here.
Regular prices......not special offers
Home Bargains seem to be doing very well and expanding.
They have good quality displays and decent staff.
Products (IMO) are not near sell by dates.
Some examples.........
Pack of Cheddars at HBs £0.99.....Sainsburys just under £2.00
Argan shampoo HBs £0.99.....double at Sainsburys.
Kronenburg lager........considerably cheaper at HB.
Lots of other examples.
Not slagging other supermarkets. Just wondering how HBs can do it.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
We have a B&M and Home Bargains more or less next door to each other and a B&M superstore as well.

They have the same branded stuff in every week as they have a consistent supply chain and operate on a much smaller individual price margin than the supermarkets including Aldi etc. I think this is because the suppliers are wary of getting dominated by the supermarkets who can dictate prices and demand discounts and then also compete with their own brand stuff.

I get all non-foodstuffs from these and must save £££ over a year.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
They make lots of one off bulk end of line / end of season / near sell by purchases.
They also have a very open purchasing strategy, a rep. can near enough walk in off the street and be seen.
They're very lean - low numbers of staff, low paid staff, cheap warehouse style shops.
They buy a lot of tat with a much higher markup, this supports the branded product.
Partly my points......
At ours there are plenty of staff.
Stuff we buy is never near sell by.
They are definitely not warehouse type.
Its definitely not tat.......I gave examples of branded goods that are literally half price.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
[QUOTE 5165119, member: 259"]What's their Fray Bentos range like?[/QUOTE]

our local one has a good range

we get quite a few bits and never had any issue's

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
They are on minimum wage.
Only a small proportion will be near sell by (it was part of a list).
They are on retail parks mostly
About 30% is non branded.
But.......I am asking/wondering.....how can they sell in date BRANDED goods at half the price.

pplpilot

Guru
Some stuff is made smaller for discount stores so you appear to be getting a bargain. Poundland do this a lot. They have massive buying power so get the big brands to package stuff just for them. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance...9543609/How-Poundland-makes-its-millions.html

FishFright

More wheels than sense
They are on minimum wage.
Only a small proportion will be near sell by (it was part of a list).
They are on retail parks mostly
About 30% is non branded.

Source ? Also how does this compare with others besides the big 3?
So about the same as everywhere else?
So are almost all new retail sites , hence crappy high streets
Source? And how does this compare with all the other super markets ? Also are super market own label products counted as branded or non branded>?

Which leads me to , did you have a point to make ?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I have, in the past, worked in industries where you can easily get left with ends of lines, smaller quantities, odd sizes etc etc. We had our regular mainstream customers and we had the discounters. The discounters would take just about anything if the price was right. Our regular customers would only take what they specifically wanted. No amount of discounting would persuade them to buy the ends of lines etc

That's B&M Bargains etc business model. They are widely known to take the ends of lines etc etc....at a price. Their customers know that just because they see something they like in the shop, it doesn't mean that it will be available the next week necessarily

Top Bottom