home built trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
Up until a few years a go I had never heard of or seen a recumbent bike. A new acquaintance had a bike made from two welded together, I thought this was a strange thing and never took to it.
Last year whilst surfing Youtube I found loads of videos on recumbent trikes. One of them being one from Atomic Zombie in Canada that you could buy the plans and build yourself.
So for the last 9 -10 months I've been sourcing parts to do just that.
what follows is a load of pics of how far I've got. hope you enjoy, thanks for looking, Rhys

OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
front axle tabs
tabs for front axels take two.jpg
trike front axels.jpg
stub axle drilled.jpg

OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
picked up a couple of kids bikes from the local scrap yard, then cut the head tubes off, cue lots of fun with an angle grinder :smile:
two bikes from the scrapyard £3.jpg
lucys then shauns old bike.jpg
headsets from the two girls bikes.jpg
forks cut.jpg
head tubs ground down.jpg

OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
a few pics that I cant put up (files to big, taken with the wifes decent camera not my phone) but basically I've welded the tabs to the head tubes to make the front steering wheels, the next few shots are taken of the rear triangle and main boom.
2 doner frame £1.20.jpg
4 rear tringle removed from frame.jpg
3 rear tringle removed from frame (2).jpg
8 making the frame.jpg
7 lining up the seat post 1.jpg
6 lining up the seat post 2.jpg

OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
that's about as far as I've got that I can show you in pictures, I now have to work out the caster and camber angle to weld the head tubes to the boom, I should get there in the end. Rhys

OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
I haven't welded for a few years since I left the panel beater trade, and I'm no engineer,
but I'm good at following instructions and patient, this is turning out to be fun,
If it turns out well then I may do it again,

Night Train

Maker of Things
Excellent, it is about time someone posted an Atomic Zombie build. Thank you for starting it, I will look forward to seeing how it develops.

I am also planning a build but of a front (two wheel) drive recumbent trike. However I am scratch building and drawing up my own plans.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Excellent, it is about time someone posted an Atomic Zombie build. Thank you for starting it, I will look forward to seeing how it develops.

I am also planning a build but of a front (two wheel) drive recumbent trike. However I am scratch building and drawing up my own plans.
Now why does this not surprise me?

:biggrin:

tricksta

designer/maker fixer/breaker
Before I got my Scorpion, I spent years on and off dreaming up designs and spending hours meticulously planning how I was going to build the design, for one reason or another it never actually materialised (loss of job, space, motivation and funds usually). Eventually a chance look at fleabay resulted in a bit of luck, spending spree and morning off work to pick up my new toy. :biggrin:

Good luck with the build! Will be very satisfying when it's complete

OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
I see that you have placed the crossbar above the frame, wouldn't it be better to have it under?
It keeps the seat and peddles lower to the ground and keeps the centre of gravity low, that's why the cross bar is angled forward so wont foul my legs when cycling :thumbsup:

Top Bottom