Home cooked Thai food..........anyone really into it ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
A short while ago I decided to try making a chow main..........Thai style.
It was so tasty that I ended up making one a week for the next 4 weeks.......twice in one week :smile:
It also got me hooked on noodles. With Sesame oil sprinkled over......very yummy.
My son is a bit of a chef (starting his own business soon) and this week.......as it's fathers day.......he is stayig over and today is cooking us a Thai infused Sunday roast!!!
I had never heard of it but apparently its getting quite popular
I've been watching him prepare and my mouth is watering........lots of different ingredients going in such Lemon Grass, Chillies, garlic etc.
2 hours 30 minutes to go.........but who's counting:laugh:

yello

I love Thai food and do cook Thai-style at home. I can't get the exact ingredients here in rural France to do pukka Thai but close enough.

A plate of noodles is simple as to knock up, and doing a Pad Thai is not much more involved.

Thai infused roast, I've never heard of. Sounds like a bit of culinary creativity going on there! Enjoy!!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've finally found a decent 'kit' version of Thai green curry spices, previously I'd been using ready blended paste but this stuff works really well and it has Galangal in there (The only thing I've struggled to get when making my own pastes)

Made/packed in Leicester too, there are quite a range of others as well. I recommend the Chicken Tikka Masala one too. :hungry:

TVC

I've finally found a decent 'kit' version of Thai green curry spices, previously I'd been using ready blended paste but this stuff works really well and it has Galangal in there (The only thing I've struggled to get when making my own pastes)

Made/packed in Leicester too, there are quite a range of others as well. I recommend the Chicken Tikka Masala one too. :hungry:
Looks interesting, where do you get it from?

I love Thai food and cook it a lot, the fragrance of coconut and lime is my favourite cooking smell. The one problem I have is getting decent green papaya. The first time we went to Thailand we got to the hotel after dusk, showered and went strsight to the bar by the beach. We ordered two ice cold Singhas and green papaya salad... Utter bliss. I crave good green papaya salad constantly.

Edit: @raleighnut Morrisons on the cattle market for galangal :okay:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I've cooked Thai green curries from scratch using the individual spices, herbs and ingredients and have found a great alternative - a tub of Mae Ploy Thai green curry paste for less than two quid in Morrisons. Knocking up a curry now is just a matter of frying a tablespoon of paste, adding coconut milk, peppers and mange too peas and a very palatable meal is ready within twenty minutes. There's not a lot of difference in the taste and we have one on a weekly basis.

The only downside of using the paste is that it triggers uncontrollable sneezing when I'm frying it.

Reactions: TVC

SeanM

I've cooked Thai green curries from scratch using the individual spices, herbs and ingredients and have found a great alternative - a tub of Mae Ploy Thai green curry paste for less than two quid in Morrisons. Knocking up a curry now is just a matter of frying a tablespoon of paste, adding coconut milk, peppers and mange too peas and a very palatable meal is ready within twenty minutes. There's not a lot of difference in the taste and we have one on a weekly basis.

The only downside of using the paste is that it triggers uncontrollable sneezing when I'm frying it.

Mae Ploy is fantastic and well worth tracking down, it's been my paste of choice for a few years. I'm a huge fan of Thai cooking, it's just so fresh, especially (IMO) compared to Chinese food which i find pretty dull and uninspiring. I have a couple of Thai recipes in my locker since doing a Thai cookery course at night school in Sydney in (bloody hell) 2007.

yello

We ordered two ice cold Singhas and green papaya salad... Utter bliss.

I'm with you. You've got me boarding planes in my mind.

I had a roadside noodle dish, probably a Pad Thai, and despite all the associated health warnings, it was gorgeous. To die for even. Though it would have been rapture that killed me not food poisoning.

I reckon Pad Thai is the Thai egg and chips, or bubble and squeak. It's a common and simple dish, so I use it to judge a Thai restaurant by. If they can't do a decent Pad Thai then they aren't much cop.

TVC

I'm with you. You've got me boarding planes in my mind.

I had a roadside noodle dish, probably a Pad Thai, and despite all the associated health warnings, it was gorgeous. To die for even. Though it would have been rapture that killed me not food poisoning.

I reckon Pad Thai is the Thai egg and chips, or bubble and squeak. It's a common and simple dish, so I use it to judge a Thai restaurant by. If they can't do a decent Pad Thai then they aren't much cop.
In Koh Lanta this year we dropped in on a small resteraunt built over the water. Two massive Pad Thais and two rounds of drinks for less than £10. Wish I was there now :sad:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm not proficient at anything Thai but do like the flavours, and use some of the standard shop mixes, I expect I'm missing a great deal!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Looks interesting, where do you get it from?

I love Thai food and cook it a lot, the fragrance of coconut and lime is my favourite cooking smell. The one problem I have is getting decent green papaya. The first time we went to Thailand we got to the hotel after dusk, showered and went strsight to the bar by the beach. We ordered two ice cold Singhas and green papaya salad... Utter bliss. I crave good green papaya salad constantly.

Edit: @raleighnut Morrisons on the cattle market for galangal :okay:
Local Co-op stocks a few of them but I've not tried any of the others cos I'm happy with my own spice recipes for most dishes but never quite got those 2 tasting 'right'.
The spice mixes are also available online.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...Pzrl8ujFpCHsL5eXfKTJ5ww&bvm=bv.96339352,d.ZGU

Top Bottom