Home exercises for bike fitness/strength?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Licramite

Über Member
do you use a heart rate monitor? its a good training tool especially for cadio vascular workouts.
if you have a turbo trainer a very good exercise for building leg strength is wack it upto its highest resistance during training,
squatts are good but can be hard on the knees, I tend to do them with my feet and knees together to give support to the legs -

Drago

Legendary Member
For the record, I was taking the mickey re. squats!

I'll never diss squats too much. My best lift was 714lbs the year before last, and I got there by doing squats. And some more squats. And, erm, some more squats. I always chuckle at weaklings and small folk who try and tell us what doesn't work when they couldn't do it themselves.

On a serious note though, squats aren't terribly appropriate for cyclists. As a competing amateur power lifter and a non-competitive but nonetheless keen cyclist I've discovered first hand that many strength training regimes don't help at all on the bike. As a result of 9 years of power training I'm very strong, but I'm also 60lbs heavier and it doesn't matter how tough you are you bloody well notice that you're lugging round a moderate sized child as additional weight, so for practical purposes I wouldn't advise much of it for cycling.

screenman

Legendary Member
I'm like the God Thor. Ok, middle aged and balding. And not blond. And I don't have a magic hammer, and the thunderclouds don't worship me. But other than that I'm just like Thor.

So you mean exactly the same, but completely different.^_^

Licramite

Über Member
My argument would be that, if, instead of doing nothing, you did some cycling, you would be better off, if cycling was your main concern. If general health and wellbeing is your main concern, well do as you like, anything that contributes to that.

Seam to have forgotten actual question - what you are suggesting he cycles around his living room, bit of hill climbing up the stairs perhaps?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I'm like the God Thor. Ok, middle aged and balding. And not blond. And I don't have a magic hammer, and the thunderclouds don't worship me. But other than that I'm just like Thor.
You wont thaw if you wear that get up in your avatar pic outside atm though , sore not Thor at best :smile:

U

User6179

I'll never diss squats too much. My best lift was 714lbs the year before last, and I got there by doing squats. And some more squats. And, erm, some more squats. I always chuckle at weaklings and small folk who try and tell us what doesn't work when they couldn't do it themselves.

On a serious note though, squats aren't terribly appropriate for cyclists. As a competing amateur power lifter and a non-competitive but nonetheless keen cyclist I've discovered first hand that many strength training regimes don't help at all on the bike. As a result of 9 years of power training I'm very strong, but I'm also 60lbs heavier and it doesn't matter how tough you are you bloody well notice that you're lugging round a moderate sized child as additional weight, so for practical purposes I wouldn't advise much of it for cycling.

The trouble with to much power is unless you have heart and lungs to match your going to be blowing out your backside every time you apply that power on the bike , on the flip side you should be really quick in a sprint :smile:

Top Bottom