Home improvements - time the house had some TLC!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
A few more blocks laid this afternoon after I'd finished playing with my bicycle wheels 😊

There are some storms forecast tomorrow afternoon but I will get some more done given half a chance.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
A few more blocks laid this afternoon after I'd finished playing with my bicycle wheels 😊

View attachment 608395

There are some storms forecast tomorrow afternoon but I will get some more done given half a chance.
Did you remember the Damp Course John - shame to let such a beautiful wall get damp :okay:

Colin Grigson

Damp course on a garden wall????
I’m not sure Jowwy … here we put a flexible DPC membrane in garden walls too - but I can see the folly of my comment looking at the differing ground levels on either side of the wall - John‘s side would broach the DPC any way … I’ll shuffle back out muttering to myself …

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I’m not sure Jowwy … here we put a flexible DPC membrane in garden walls too - but I can see the folly of my comment looking at the differing ground levels on either side of the wall - John‘s side would broach the DPC any way … I’ll shuffle back out muttering to myself …
Im just curious as to why they would that when it would just get rained on anyway….i mean damp course is to stop water penatrating the building, but a garden wall it seems strange.

Colin Grigson

Im just curious as to why they would that when it would just get rained on anyway….i mean damp course is to stop water penatrating the building, but a garden wall it seems strange.
Here walls are usually rendered (if you’ve seen the bricklaying here you’ll appreciate why) and the DPC prevents the mortar, render and finish being damaged by rising damp … I think

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Are you incorporating a couple of pillars into that length of wall?

Nope, but there'll be a skin of bricks too when it's done so shouldn't need any pillars 😊 I'm putting ties in every block so it should be pretty solid.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I laid the last of the blocks today. Started around 9am and hand mixed a barrow of muck up then started laying blocks. I'm getting around 13 blocks laid to a mix, but each hand mix is half the size of a machine mix.

After I'd used up that mix I did some setting out and knocked some posts in to mark the finished driveway level before stopping for some lunch.

After lunch I mixed up another barrow of muck and set to laying the last of the blocks. I've also marked up approximately where the fence posts will be which will allow me to stagger the wall height correctly when the bricks arrive.

So here is the wall as it stands now. At the far end it'll have one course of bricks added to the top to get to full height, then as we get closer to the camera it will stagger down dropping 2 brick courses at a time approximately in line with the fence posts, to the nearest half brick anyway :laugh:.

Bricks are ordered and due for delivery on Thursday. The dropped kerb guys have said they'll start on Wednesday too but we shall see if that happens or not, they've been a bit flakey to date :laugh: The car charger is also due to be installed on Friday, its all go here!

Top Bottom