Home improvements - time the house had some TLC!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
We were going to get someone to do this as it seemed too daunting. But somehow we got it started. Just the actual door to strip and paint now, but perhaps not till Spring.
IMG_20200917_111636288.jpg

IMG_20200917_111829467_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201014_180439558_HDR~3.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've been away on holiday for 10 days, I got back earlier in the week and have managed to find a gap in the rain to get some more bricks laid :okay:

View attachment 552804

View attachment 552806

I've also torn down the old porch canopy, onwards and upwards! Not bad for DIY brickwork, im pretty pleased with my efforts :laugh:
Looks good but why not a double course of 'Blues' to match the existing ?

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Looks good but why not a double course of 'Blues' to match the existing ?

I thought they were blues for years - they're not :laugh: They're the same LBC heathers as the rest, but have been painted black a few decades ago and left to fade :laugh: I'll be painting everything under damp course grey, new and existing :okay:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Bit more brickwork yesterday, getting higher now! Might start on some internal blockwork soon before I work out how to get higher - stepladder or tower 🤔:laugh:

Fingers crossed for some half decent weather next weekend, I won't be doing much in the evenings now its getting dark so quickly unless I pop a floodlight up somewhere 🤔

Get a tower up, put the bricks on one side and you on the other. Save you having to constantly go up and down a step ladder to get bricks.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Bit more progress this afternoon :okay: I've now got a floodlight so I can work in the evenings 😋

Hopefully get more up tomorrow, will be ready to put the insulation in and block work up soon :okay:

Last edited:
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've made a bit more progress since the last update, but free time and brick laying weather don't seem to be lining up very well for me at the moment :laugh: I'm now only a few courses of bricks short of lintel height, and I've started on the insulation and blockwork :okay: I was hoping to get up to lintel height with the brickwork at least today but with rain due this afternoon I didn't want to push my luck so stopped at 11ish... It's now starting to drizzle so looks like I made a good call :laugh:

I've now had two people stop their cars in the bus stop opposite and walk over to ask if I can quote them for some building work :laugh::laugh::laugh: They're obviously not in a hurry to get it done 🤔:laugh:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I've made a bit more progress since the last update, but free time and brick laying weather don't seem to be lining up very well for me at the moment :laugh: I'm now only a few courses of bricks short of lintel height, and I've started on the insulation and blockwork :okay: I was hoping to get up to lintel height with the brickwork at least today but with rain due this afternoon I didn't want to push my luck so stopped at 11ish... It's now starting to drizzle so looks like I made a good call :laugh:

View attachment 555553

View attachment 555554

I've now had two people stop their cars in the bus stop opposite and walk over to ask if I can quote them for some building work :laugh::laugh::laugh: They're obviously not in a hurry to get it done 🤔:laugh:
Some top work there......

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Some top work there......

Cheers :okay: I'm pretty pleased with how its coming on, quite enjoying the challenge - both the building side of it, and planning the various elements. I'm in the process of ordering up the roofing materials at the moment, hoping the new lockdown announced today won't impact supplies too badly.

The weather cleared up around 4pm so I got the floodlights out and laid some more bricks and blocks. Dangerously close to lintel height now, just 12 more bricks to be laid and some blockwork which shouldn't take long 😊

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Some nice progress today, with the lintel going in this afternoon and the final course of blockwork on top of it. Thats now ready for the wall plate so it's nearly time to build a roof 😊

The lintel is 23kg - not too heavy, but lifting it above head height and maneuvring it into position was interesting :laugh:

I'm glad I'm back to working the desk job tomorrow, i'm exhausted :laugh:

postman

Legendary Member
Great work.If you have a few mins spare.Do you fancy a few hours work in Chelsea.A bit of loose brickwork.Tidy job six to eight million.Should get you a few cool colas.Drop me a line and i'll put you in touch.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've been at it again this weekend :okay: A bit more brickwork done, the front wall is now at full height so just the ends to bring up to meet the eaves now. My main focus however was the roof - I had targeted getting the rafters in this weekend and I've achieved it with a few hours to spare :laugh: There's a bit more roofing timber to cut and nail in place but not far off felt and batten time now which is quite exciting 😊 Next job is to contact the window and door people to get them back round to measure up to get watertight :okay:

Top Bottom